money!!!!

Old Dec 16th 2007, 2:53 pm
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light
Default money!!!!

HI,
Can anyone tell me, whats the best way of transfering funds to Oz?
The sale of our house is going through at the moment and we would like to set up an account for the proceeds to go into, pref in Uk as we would like to wait for a good exchange rate.
We thought we could do this with the HSBC but we made a appt to see them and the chap that we spoke to didnt seem to have a clue.

If we open a bank acct in uk that has branches in Oz also is it cheaper to transfer?

Is any tax payable at either end for interest earned?

I read on BE that you can only transfer £10,000 from Uk over the phone and that, in order to transfer more you would actually have to be sitting infront of them....But surely if we were HSBC customers we would be able to be present in HSBC (in Oz) to give thye go ahead?

Any help would be very much appreciated. x
Old Dec 16th 2007, 3:46 pm
Home Owner

Driver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud of
Default Re: money!!!!

have you tried Ozforex.com.au
?
Old Dec 16th 2007, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

martin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nice

Hi there,

when i sold my house, I put the money into a HSBC account and then opened a trading account with HIFX. You just give them a ring when you feel the exchange rate is right for you and they buy the dollars for you. You can either send them a cheque and they will transfer the money into your oz account (i went with Westpac), or if it is more than 50K, you can get your bank to wire it to HIFX and they will forward it to your oz account.
Interest rates with Westpac have just gone upto 6.5% and you only pay 10% tax as you are not yet a resident.
It may sound complicated, but it is really quite simple. Ring a trader like HIFX and they will explain it all to you. They do not charge as they make their money on the exchange rate.
Congratulations on selling your house as I think its going to be far harder to sell next year.
Whereabouts in Sussex are you. We are in Horsham and move to Perth on Jan 25th.
Hope this is of help to you and good luck

Martin
Old Dec 16th 2007, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martin36-1
Hi there,

when i sold my house, I put the money into a HSBC account and then opened a trading account with HIFX. You just give them a ring when you feel the exchange rate is right for you and they buy the dollars for you. You can either send them a cheque and they will transfer the money into your oz account (i went with Westpac), or if it is more than 50K, you can get your bank to wire it to HIFX and they will forward it to your oz account.
Interest rates with Westpac have just gone upto 6.5% and you only pay 10% tax as you are not yet a resident.
It may sound complicated, but it is really quite simple. Ring a trader like HIFX and they will explain it all to you. They do not charge as they make their money on the exchange rate.
Congratulations on selling your house as I think its going to be far harder to sell next year.

Martin
Can you give us more info on this pls? is this tax on the interest earned from the funds in Oz?
Old Dec 16th 2007, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

martin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nicemartin36-1 is just really nice

yes it is. 10% on the interest earned but not on the lump sum

Cheers
Old Dec 16th 2007, 5:13 pm
Banned

forkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the rough

Hi there,

Martin

It just sounds so bloody easy, cheers! Just a pity the exchange rate is not in the UK favour at present hey? Be nice if it hits 2.6 again?
Old Dec 17th 2007, 9:54 am

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there,

Martin
Hi amrtin, Thanks for the reply.
We are in Worthing and we too are heading for Perth, possibly Mindarie area... Where are you heading?
Looks like it could be alittle earlier than originally expected...Jan/Feb?????
Old Dec 17th 2007, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Hi again,

we have a rental ready in Rockingham area which is South of the river. I build loft conversions so I cannot wait to get away from this bloody cold weather!!
Good luck with your move and please keep in touch.
I am 43 (carpenter), wife Stephanie and 3 daughters 19, 15 and 11.
All the best with everything and hope the house sale goes smoothly.
Martin
Old Dec 17th 2007, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

We were down in Worthing the other week as our friends have just bought a bar down there. Its called "The bar next door". Not sure what road its on but I do know that it is not far from the level crossing at Tarring Road.
Good luck and keep in touch
Martin
Old Dec 17th 2007, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

try and do a search theres already been like 500 posts on this topic
Old Dec 18th 2007, 8:09 am

Hi again,

we have a rental ready in Rockingham area which is South of the river. I build loft conversions so I cannot wait to get away from this bloody cold weather!!
Good luck with your move and please keep in touch.
I am 43 (carpenter), wife Stephanie and 3 daughters 19, 15 and 11.
All the best with everything and hope the house sale goes smoothly.
Martin
Looked at Rockingham, we haven't actually been to WA before (minor detail) so not too sure about areas. Have you actually been to WA/Rockingham, what's that area like?
My partner is a plumber so he too is looking forward to the warmer weather, fed up of being under floorboards in unheated housing this time of year. We have two sons 3yrs & 10months. basically looking for somewhere with enough to keep us going ie. nice schools, a few restaurants/bar/cafes and essential shopping. We're not into clubbing or anything like that so we are hoping that WA will be good for us.

Anyway, great to speak to a like minded person. Let us know when you arrive because if Rockingham's good we might give it a go
Keep in touch x
Old Dec 18th 2007, 9:01 am
Whey hey got my Visa

allankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to all

Originally Posted by betsyboob
Looked at Rockingham, we haven't actually been to WA before (minor detail) so not too sure about areas. Have you actually been to WA/Rockingham, what's that area like?
My partner is a plumber so he too is looking forward to the warmer weather, fed up of being under floorboards in unheated housing this time of year. We have two sons 3yrs & 10months. basically looking for somewhere with enough to keep us going ie. nice schools, a few restaurants/bar/cafes and essential shopping. We're not into clubbing or anything like that so we are hoping that WA will be good for us.

Anyway, great to speak to a like minded person. Let us know when you arrive because if Rockingham's good we might give it a go
Keep in touch x
Hi we looked at Rockingham on our reccie last year, spent 2 weeks there. We really loved the place it meets your checklist re shops and restaurants etc, there are a couple of great ones right on the beach.

It's about a 30 min drive to Perth on the freeway and the new Perth rail link opens up there this week, with trains running upto every 10 minutes to Perth. So it's far enough away from Perth that you don't feel like you're in a city but only a stones throw away from all the city has to offer.

We ended up choosing Secret Harbour which is about 10 mins south of Rockingham, and our house should be finished in about 6/7 months time, again SH is close to freeway / railway and again right on the beach, so we can't wait to get over and start living the dream.

I'm sure you'll be happy where ever you end up.

Allan