Money

Old Feb 4th 2004, 12:20 pm
J+J
Small Member

J+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant future
Question Money

Just a quick question (Ihope)

We're comming over to OZ and NZ at the latter end of March / early april to do a quick reccy before we make any decisions.
Would we be better off getting travellers cheques ?
Or can we just use the hole in the wall thingy and my HSBC or Natwest account card ?
If so how common are the compatable ATM's ?

Cheers

J+J

ps whats the weather likely to be like at that time?
(Ada, Mel and Syd then Auk and the north island is the proposed route)
Only 7 weeks can't wait.
Old Feb 4th 2004, 12:25 pm
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Money

Originally posted by J+J

We're comming over to OZ and NZ at the latter end of March / early april to do a quick reccy before we make any decisions.
Or can we just use the hole in the wall thingy and my HSBC or Natwest account card ?

Cheers

J+J

Only 7 weeks can't wait.
Hi

Whenever I go to Australia I just use my Lloyds Tsb visa debit card in atms and paying over the counter for things, some machines charge you others don't. It's a good method if you have cover on your account because it protects any purchases.
Old Feb 4th 2004, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by J+J

Cheers

J+J

Only 7 weeks can't wait.
used atm's everytime we've been so much easier, just check with your bank how much they charge per transaction, everytime you withdraw cash, they charge!! also used credit card too and paid that from online banking whilst out there....

have been told that nationwide don't so if time set up an account with them.................

have a great time, can't help with weather as not been in Oz or Nz at that time of yr, someone will let you know
Old Feb 4th 2004, 12:33 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

I took a little cash over to Oz with me but I mainly used my ATM card while I was on my hols.

Was accepted at most of the big banks cash points and the charge was minimal.

Cheers

TT

Originally posted by J+J

Cheers

J+J

Only 7 weeks can't wait.
Old Feb 4th 2004, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

gazza321 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we took enough cash for 4 or 5 days and the rest in oz travellers cheques. We were quite surprised when the post office didn't charge a cent commission.
I found that TSB were charging quite a bit when using my debit or visa cards.

Cheers

Gazza
Old Feb 4th 2004, 9:31 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>have been told that nationwide don't so if time set up an account with them.................
<<

That's right - there are only two cards that don't load foreign transactions by 2.75%, and Nationwide is one of them. Don't know the other....
Old Feb 4th 2004, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

weather in Mel will be nice and warm still. CLocks go forward last week of March so it will be dark by about 6.30pm tho. Check www.bom.gov.au for Oz weather for various parts at various times of year.
Old Feb 4th 2004, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rog Williams
That's right - there are only two cards that don't load foreign transactions by 2.75%, and Nationwide is one of them. Don't know the other....
I don't know the other either Rog. But back on Nationwide, not only do they not charge, they give an excellent rate as well.

I had a transaction (for less than £150) on my Nationwide credit card go through a week ago at a rate of 2.39. That stood up to anything the currency brokers were offering - even the ones who stipulate minimum amounts (eg £5000) to transfer
Old Feb 5th 2004, 12:56 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by young_lad
I don't know the other either Rog. But back on Nationwide, not only do they not charge, they give an excellent rate as well.

I had a transaction (for less than £150) on my Nationwide credit card go through a week ago at a rate of 2.39. That stood up to anything the currency brokers were offering - even the ones who stipulate minimum amounts (eg £5000) to transfer
Yes, we've found the N/W visa very good on exchange rates.

We took it out after reading about the lack of foreign loading in the Torygraph. Unfortunately we'd already spent - well, more than I care to divulge on a family site <g> - kitting out a home in Florida using Barclaycard. I then sat down and worked out how much we'd have saved using N/W: only just got over it years later!

I did a check by using Barclaycard and N/W on similar transactions the same day and yes, the difference IS 2.75%. Both have very similar basic exchange rates though.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 11:54 am
J+J
Small Member

J+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant future

Thanks for the advice

Looks like it'll be a visit to the NationWide then.

Cheers

I think I'll still pack a warm waterproof !!