Mobiles in OZ

Old May 21st 2004, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

thfc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mobiles in OZ

Been told mobiles are cheap to buy in Sinapore,we have 2 hours at airport, if we bought mobiles at Sinapore airport would they work in OZ.cheers
Old May 21st 2004, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

WhiteRose is on a distinguished road

I would assume that as long as it is a dual band GSM phone, it should work fine in Australia.

You should just need to buy a pre-paid SIM from one of the mobile networks here.
Old May 21st 2004, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by WhiteRose
I would assume that as long as it is a dual band GSM phone, it should work fine in Australia.

You should just need to buy a pre-paid SIM from one of the mobile networks here.
Were off to Langwarrin ,Melbourne.Are mobiles cheap to buy there,and can you send pictures back to England from a camera phone.Cheers
Old May 21st 2004, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

WhiteRose is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by thfc
Were off to Langwarrin ,Melbourne.Are mobiles cheap to buy there,and can you send pictures back to England from a camera phone.Cheers
I've not looked into it too much, as we brought across our unlocked phones from the UK, but from adverts that I have seem they seem relatively expensive compared to the UK.

We just bought SIM cards from Virgin Mobile. We paid $29, also which gets you $29 worth of calls. Text messages back to the UK are very cheap - about 12c I think - and calls are quite reasonable too.

Virgin Mobile appears to support picture messaging, so I guess you must be able to send a picture message back to the UK just like an SMS.
Old May 21st 2004, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by WhiteRose
I've not looked into it too much, as we brought across our unlocked phones from the UK, but from adverts that I have seem they seem relatively expensive compared to the UK.

We just bought SIM cards from Virgin Mobile. We paid $29, also which gets you $29 worth of calls. Text messages back to the UK are very cheap - about 12c I think - and calls are quite reasonable too.

Virgin Mobile appears to support picture messaging, so I guess you must be able to send a picture message back to the UK just like an SMS.
Cheers .So much to do and so little time to do it,there again weve been planing this for 3 years and left everything to the last minute.
Old May 21st 2004, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all

Originally posted by thfc
Hi thrf

Bad news, you cannot send MMS (pictures) to another network in another country with MMS. For instance, I cannot send pics to my friends in Australia from my Swiss orange network to his Australian Optus network. I called my operator who explained that these things just cant transfer outside their "home" countries!

The only solution would be to use your UK network in Australia (using international roaming) to send MMS to friends in UK (you would virtually be in the same country)

Sorry for the bad news. ps: mobiles are more expensive in Australia, and they are a bit behind with the models. However, if you go for a 2-year contract (which you can do with PR) it might be cheaper than in the UK

Good LUCK!!!!

fabie