Mobiles?

Old Feb 27th 2003, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

shamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mobiles?

Can anyone tell me what they did with there mobile phone when arriving in Australia? I've a nokia 8110 and my UK account with t-mobile runs out soon. What can I do (if anything) to get a new Australian account & phone number from the UK? Ive heard something about unlocking mobiles, what does that do? Do I need a new sim card? Will I loose all the numbers on my phone just now?

Probably simple questions, but hey.

Cheers,

Shamer
Old Feb 27th 2003, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

jambo_g is an unknown quantity at this point

Alright Shamers!!

We are taking our mobile phones and when we get to Oz we will set-up a new account with a mobile phone company across there.

They will supply you with a new sim card. (This is where it gets interesting!) The sim card may not work because mobiles are set-up to work with certain networks ie. across here sometimes orange may be offereing a type of phone and if you put an 02 sim card in it it may not work.

This is where phone unlocking comes in, it basically unlocks your phone so it will work on any network.

As for losing your numbers, if you are definitely taking your mobile make sure your numbers are stored on your phone and not just on your sim card. With Nokias if you go into "names" there should be a "copy" function which lets you copy all your names from your sim card to your phone.

Hope this helps

Graham
Old Feb 27th 2003, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

shamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers, great info.

Is there any way that I can get an Australian sim card (and therefore new number) from bonnie scotchland, and where do I get my fone unlocked? how much does it cost? Do I get it done here?

Thanks again

Shamer!!

BTW, Jambo, when do you go and where are u going. I heard the Australians need more Scots oot there.

Last edited by shamer; Feb 27th 2003 at 10:24 am.
Old Feb 27th 2003, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

jambo_g is an unknown quantity at this point

Try this site for getting your phone unlocked:

http://www.unlockingmobiles.co.uk/faq.htm

I don't know about buying an Australian simcard I'm going to wait until I get out there.

We are heading off to NSW hopefully in the next two months, what about you??

You right the mair scots the better!!!!

God I'll miss Irn-Bru!!
Old Feb 27th 2003, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Inked is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mobiles?

Originally posted by shamer
Can anyone tell me what they did with there mobile phone when arriving in Australia? I've a nokia 8110 and my UK account with t-mobile runs out soon. What can I do (if anything) to get a new Australian account & phone number from the UK? Ive heard something about unlocking mobiles, what does that do? Do I need a new sim card? Will I loose all the numbers on my phone just now?

Probably simple questions, but hey.

Cheers,

Shamer
I have a Sony phone on O2 in the UK - (now on pay as I go) I also use a Pay as I go SIM in Melbourne when I'm at home. For me it was just a matter of picking up a Prepay SIM and dropping it into the phone.
Old Feb 27th 2003, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

lace has a brilliant futurelace has a brilliant futurelace has a brilliant futurelace has a brilliant futurelace has a brilliant futurelace has a brilliant futurelace has a brilliant future

(Is there any way that I can get an Australian sim card (and therefore new number) from bonnie scotchland, and where do I get my fone unlocked? how much does it cost? Do I get it done here?)

u can get ur phone unlocked doon the barra's
they have stalls all over the place ask around if you
go there probably cost between £10 / £30
hope this helps