Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

??? for those selling house

??? for those selling house

Old Feb 26th 2003, 1:56 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default ??? for those selling house

What percentage rate are you paying to your agent, how does that figure compare to the area you live (lived) in. We have just got 1.4% sole agency.

I have no idea how to set up a poll on here with more than two/three variables (if count price range) so just interested in the latest state of (agent) market for all of us currently trying to sell.

So my details, approx 275-285,000 range, Berkshire area, 1.4 Sole agency........and does this relate to market/time/bullshit.

considering this is about 4K sterling ....aussie dollars, depending on exchange rate????

as I said just interested, going with my own deal anyway.

Thanks
Old Feb 26th 2003, 2:00 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Managed to sell mine without an agent but a year or so ago I was offered 1.5% sole agency, 2% multiple agency, same sort of price range as yours. If your place is very saleable I think you can negotiate hard as many agents in the south are going through very lean times (not many sales).

Cheers - Don
Old Feb 26th 2003, 2:12 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Managed to sell mine without an agent but a year or so ago I was offered 1.5% sole agency, 2% multiple agency, same sort of price range as yours. If your place is very saleable I think you can negotiate hard as many agents in the south are going through very lean times (not many sales).

Cheers - Don
I am not in the country, so agents fee is interesting, I do not want to ask family. Otherwise I would love to give it my own go!

I did read your early threads on this subject and really feel those trying now should follow some of your advice.

Cheers
Old Feb 26th 2003, 2:31 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by Sandra
I am not in the country, so agents fee is interesting, I do not want to ask family. Otherwise I would love to give it my own go!

I did read your early threads on this subject and really feel those trying now should follow some of your advice.

Cheers

1.4% IS A GOOD RATE FOR SOLE AGENCY (YOU MIGHT GET 1% IF YOU HAVE A VERY SPECIAL PROPERTY THEY CAN USE TO ADVERTISE THEMSELVES) dO NOT GO MULTI AGENCY TO START WITH - THEY WILL NOT PUT AS MUCH WORK INTO IT IF THEY ARE NOT ALONE. dO NOT TIE YOURSELF DOWN TO TOO LONG A PERIOD SOLE AGENCY 5 WEEKS IS SUFFICIENT FOR THEM TO SELL IF THEY HAVE PRICED IT CORRECTLY THEY SHOULD KNOW THEIR LOCAL AREA AND THE SALES UP TO DATE.

I have been in the estate agency for several years and believe me you do need to chase them for updates all the time or they will let things slide when they are busy - particularly if you are not in the country and they have to do accompanied viewings. Accept the 1.4% for a few weeks if they are accompanying it sounds good.
Old Feb 26th 2003, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Just negotiated £995 flat fee. Other quote was 1.5%.

Mash...

Originally posted by yafm
1.4% IS A GOOD RATE FOR SOLE AGENCY (YOU MIGHT GET 1% IF YOU HAVE A VERY SPECIAL PROPERTY THEY CAN USE TO ADVERTISE THEMSELVES) dO NOT GO MULTI AGENCY TO START WITH - THEY WILL NOT PUT AS MUCH WORK INTO IT IF THEY ARE NOT ALONE. dO NOT TIE YOURSELF DOWN TO TOO LONG A PERIOD SOLE AGENCY 5 WEEKS IS SUFFICIENT FOR THEM TO SELL IF THEY HAVE PRICED IT CORRECTLY THEY SHOULD KNOW THEIR LOCAL AREA AND THE SALES UP TO DATE.

I have been in the estate agency for several years and believe me you do need to chase them for updates all the time or they will let things slide when they are busy - particularly if you are not in the country and they have to do accompanied viewings. Accept the 1.4% for a few weeks if they are accompanying it sounds good.
Old Feb 26th 2003, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Grotbags is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sandra

We have sold our property in Surrey in your price range, and most of the agents offered us 1% sole agency, 1.5% if we decided on joint.
Old Feb 26th 2003, 3:10 pm
Gone Senile Member

Originally posted by Grotbags
Hi Sandra

We have sold our property in Surrey in your price range, and most of the agents offered us 1% sole agency, 1.5% if we decided on joint.
Right I am now going to bed crying !!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers for the dismal info, I though I had a deal with 1.4%!!!!!!!

thanks grotbags....are you currently selling ?
Old Feb 26th 2003, 3:13 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by mashiraz
Just negotiated £995 flat fee. Other quote was 1.5%.

Mash...

Well done - this does include advertising and etc. doesn't it???????
Old Feb 26th 2003, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Hi folks,

Had 3 quotes ranging from 2 - 1.25% but they all came down to 1.25% in the end.

Surrey, sub £300K figure.

Basically, I'm telling them I won't pay any more as I'm selling with vacant posession which should reduce the amount of "work" they have to do to maintain the chain.

Still don't like them much and don't see that they offer anything of value for their grossly inflated fees apart from taking advantage of peple and lying to us all..... Oops sorry lost it for a miunute there!

Cheers

Nick
Old Feb 26th 2003, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

It does vary a lot as to where you live.
Currently house is worth £500 k and all the agents round here charge 1%, there is one that charges 3/4% but it doesn't deal with the more expensive houses. It is still going to cost a bomb £5000 +£875 vat a rip off!

When we lived in inner South London they wanted 3% yes3%! It was an expensive area and I supposed their overheads were a lot. We knocked them down to 21/4%.

It is a lot to pay, but if they get a good price for your house it can balance out the costs I suppose - trying to persuade myself at the thought of nearly £6000 down the pan!
Old Feb 26th 2003, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Gibson will become famous soon enough

Hi, we sold our house 3 weeks ago. We were charged a flat fee of £795.00+VAT. For some reason round here (Bradford) they're all flat rates as opposed to going on the price of the property - thank God!!
Old Feb 26th 2003, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

We are currently multi agency, both charging 1.5%, sole agency fee was 1%. Be tough and say we've had better offers, they soon want to haggle then! We're in Bucks.
Old Feb 26th 2003, 5:28 pm
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

Our house has been on the market for a week. We are being charged £1,500 + VAT.
Old Feb 26th 2003, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Location: lincolnshire South of Perth by end of October 03 Please
crabtree is an unknown quantity at this point

Had a couple of agents out.
Both want 1%, no tie in period, no sale no fee.
lincolnshire, 3 bed det bungalow, 6.5acres, 4 stables, etc.
£240,000 to £250,000 anyone interested?

Tony C
Old Feb 27th 2003, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

barry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nicebarry&carol is just really nice
Default Re: ??? for those selling house

Originally posted by Sandra
What percentage rate are you paying to your agent, how does that figure compare to the area you live (lived) in. We have just got 1.4% sole agency.

I have no idea how to set up a poll on here with more than two/three variables (if count price range) so just interested in the latest state of (agent) market for all of us currently trying to sell.

So my details, approx 275-285,000 range, Berkshire area, 1.4 Sole agency........and does this relate to market/time/bullshit.

considering this is about 4K sterling ....aussie dollars, depending on exchange rate????

as I said just interested, going with my own deal anyway.

Thanks
Hi Sandra 1% (inc VAT) small independant . placed on market end of Jan. Sold in 3 weeks . Survey being done this tuesady and expect to complete in about 4 weeks ! RENTING !!