Mobile Phones?

Old Dec 19th 2005, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

ugez009sumi will become famous soon enoughugez009sumi will become famous soon enough
Default Mobile Phones?

We leave UK for Aus 4th Feb. If we take a UK mobile phone can we get a new SIM card when we arrive in Aus?

What is cheapest and best option. Also we will not have an address for first month or so in Aus as we will travel around.

Is it cheaper to get pay as you go when we arrive?
Old Dec 19th 2005, 1:43 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile Phones?

Originally Posted by ugez009sumi
We leave UK for Aus 4th Feb. If we take a UK mobile phone can we get a new SIM card when we arrive in Aus?

What is cheapest and best option. Also we will not have an address for first month or so in Aus as we will travel around.

If your phone is unlocked you can get a Vodaphone sim card for $2 at Dick Smiths, Target etc. The best pay as you go deal is pay $49 & get $230 of calls. Look at their website for more details. I've gone for a 3 Mobile contract phone. $29/month with a new phone & $190 worth of calls/month. I think mobiles are fairly good value over here.
Old Dec 19th 2005, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

bazperth is just really nicebazperth is just really nicebazperth is just really nicebazperth is just really nicebazperth is just really nicebazperth is just really nicebazperth is just really nicebazperth is just really nicebazperth is just really nice

Hi there. Yes you can get a sim card from people in the high street like Optus or Telstra.You will have to make sure the phone is not sim locked from the UK though.I came to Perth 2 months ago with an orange pay as you go phone and had real trouble getting the phone unlocked to take a sim card from here.It's not like in the uk where every city centre has one of those dodgy phone shops who unblock and unlock your phone for you.I finally found somebody in Picadilly arcade I think in Perth who charged me 25.00 dollars.As for PAYG Vs. contract ask the guys in the shops, this of course depends on your monthly usage.
Hope this helps.Barry
Ps. they need Official photo ID with address to register you with PAYG or contract so the fact you are travelling might be a problem.The only option would be to use your existing sim/provider from the UK.Buy a Big top up card in the UK and it should work fine over here (IE.My orange account worked over here as normal ) but obviously the charges will cost more.
Old Dec 19th 2005, 2:22 pm
There is no "U" in Qantas

MisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really niceMisterTwo is just really nice

When we went to Oz in February we took both of our phones with us. I used my UK contract phone on roaming and bought a Vodafone RED SIM for $30 with $30 worth of calls for the other phone. We actually found it cheaper to call back to the UK on the Oz SIM. The roaming phone is useful when travelling as you can use whichever network has the strongest signal, obviously it will cost more.
Old Dec 19th 2005, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

ugez009sumi will become famous soon enoughugez009sumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bazperth
Hi there. Yes you can get a sim card from people in the high street like Optus or Telstra.You will have to make sure the phone is not sim locked from the UK though.I came to Perth 2 months ago with an orange pay as you go phone and had real trouble getting the phone unlocked to take a sim card from here.It's not like in the uk where every city centre has one of those dodgy phone shops who unblock and unlock your phone for you.I finally found somebody in Picadilly arcade I think in Perth who charged me 25.00 dollars.As for PAYG Vs. contract ask the guys in the shops, this of course depends on your monthly usage.
Hope this helps.Barry
Ps. they need Official photo ID with address to register you with PAYG or contract so the fact you are travelling might be a problem.The only option would be to use your existing sim/provider from the UK.Buy a Big top up card in the UK and it should work fine over here (IE.My orange account worked over here as normal ) but obviously the charges will cost more.
So I need an address to get pay as you go? Could I use a hotel address? I have passport for ID? It will take some time to sort out an address as we are travelling

We want a phone soon as we arrive.

In Auk do you need and address to purchase pay as you go? You have no contract so why do they need an address?

(I have a work phone so not so knowledge of phone contracts)
Old Dec 19th 2005, 4:26 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

We bought our Aussie sim cards from this guy, top bloke and you get a free set of his Oz photos on DVD as welll!

It does look however as though he's priced this auction incorrectly, think it should read £9.95 not £99.95!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Australian-Aus...QQcmdZViewItem
Old Dec 20th 2005, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wavy_davy
We bought our Aussie sim cards from this guy, top bloke and you get a free set of his Oz photos on DVD as welll!

It does look however as though he's priced this auction incorrectly, think it should read £9.95 not £99.95!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Australian-Aus...QQcmdZViewItem

I have a question:

This is pay as you go. So simply 1 buy one of these, activate, stick it in my phone and when i arrive in Aus I can start using. then it runs out. correct??

Thanks.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 11:10 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bazperth
I got my one here with my UK driving licence, UK passport and UK credit card as my forms of ID. I'm not sure what happened with the address, as I had nothing with my name on it at the time

Old Dec 20th 2005, 11:13 am
ABCDiamond

In Auk do you need and address to purchase pay as you go?
They do need an address of some kind, I think I used my UK one.
You have no contract so why do they need an address?
National Security

Old Dec 20th 2005, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
National Security
I bought a phone pack from a large store (Big W?) and the 19 year old behind the counter followed a long procedure to check my ID. The following week I bought another pack with a phone for the missus from a "geezer" in a small shop in a shopping mall ... he wanted me to wave my ID under his nose briefly before we fixed up a rort on a cashback offer. Same as Britain I guess, depends on where you shop.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

LesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to all

We went around several mobile phone shops. Just bought daughter a new one for christmas. We got different answers from each salesperson. The last shop they showed us the paperwork for phones. We bought one unlocked, my daughter can just use her old sim card in it and then get a new sim card in Oz or here before we go. Just make sure the phone is unlocked and can work in Oz. HTH.
Old Dec 20th 2005, 1:54 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
National Security
A hotel address will do, well it did with Vodaphone anyway.