Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mobile Phone and Internet connections - Sydney

Mobile Phone and Internet connections - Sydney

Old Jan 13th 2012, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Dentonburn is just really niceDentonburn is just really niceDentonburn is just really niceDentonburn is just really niceDentonburn is just really niceDentonburn is just really niceDentonburn is just really niceDentonburn is just really nice
Default Mobile Phone and Internet connections - Sydney

Can someone advise me on a decent mobile phone/internet provider covering the Central Sydney area. I'm bringing an unlocked Iphone 3, (which will hopefully work).

My profile would be decent internet usage, (Skype, Viber etc to ring UK/Ireland), some local Sydney calls, but very little calls outside of Sydney.

Any advise on general home-based broadband would also be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jan 14th 2012, 1:17 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Mobile Phone and Internet connections - Sydney

For mobile, look at telstra.com.au - generally regarded as the best network
For internet, check www.whirlpool.net.au
Old Jan 14th 2012, 2:07 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Telstra is the best although I'm on Optus.
Avoid vodafone, they have a bad reputation and get a lot of complaints.
I use TPG for internet, never had a major issue so far.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

We got a virgin pay as you go sim. We get bonus credit and it can be used for local, national and international calls and texts as well as internet. i top up $29 monthly and currently have the equivalent of $650 credit. thats been built up over a couple of months and i text\call the uk and america (before christmas i was phoning the uk most days as my nan was in hospital) on that as well as use the internet loads.
It runs off the optus network and we've not had any access issues.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

hater is an unknown quantity at this point

For mobile: Definitly Telstra. Bit more expensive...But I had a Optus Sim before and after a week throwed it away...Nothing but "blind spots" on their network, slow connection, etc...

For internet: I'm with Club Telco. They are a Dodo Reseller, no minimum contract length, cheap "unlimited" traffic volume, no relocation costs. But you have to pay 100$ membership "fee" per year...But even with that they are still very competetive.
Service has been good so far.