Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

18 and Looking to move to OZ - Tips ?

18 and Looking to move to OZ - Tips ?

Old Jan 14th 2012, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

Ryan.W is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 18 and Looking to move to OZ - Tips ?

Hi Everyone,

I am 17 and currently Completing an IT Apprenticeship within the NHS. I turn 18 in May and am looking to move to Australia ASAP. Not exactly sure which part of Australia to go to as I have a family member in melbourne, but would be willing to go anywhere with career oppurtunities. Does anyone have any advice on where i would be able to get work and anything else that might benefit me, I believe it is best to get a Working holiday visa and then maybe extend it after the first year ?

Thanks, Ryan !
Old Jan 14th 2012, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 18 and Looking to move to OZ - Tips ?

Alright Ryan. I live in Southport at the moment aswell but hopefully for only a month longer!

I dont think you can extend a WHV, you would need a different visa to stay longer. You could always apply for family sponsored visa if they are residents which may be better?
Old Jan 14th 2012, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Ryan.W is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Thanks for that. Whats your plan mate, You have everything set up ? Where is it your going ?
Old Jan 14th 2012, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, got a job in QLD working in Geology in the mines. Going soon as visa comes through.
Old Jan 14th 2012, 6:12 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

You can extend the WHV for a second 12 month stay if you do 3 months of qualifying regional work (usually fruit picking or the like).

This would give you 24 months to potentially find a sponsor (might be challenging as there are quite a few IT people here with more experience and better quals) or a lovely girlfriend to marry!

Be prepared to head home at the end of your stay but keep your eyes and ears open for work opportunities to stay.

Good luck.