Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mobile phone contracts

Mobile phone contracts

Old Jan 11th 2011, 4:02 am
Banned

MrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to all
Default Mobile phone contracts

My better half tried to get a mobile phone contract with Optus and after a lot of faffing about and wasted hours she was told that she could not have one as she hasn’t been in the country long enough (2 months) and has only had a bank account for the same period and also that she would need to stay on her pre paid plan for a few more months before she could get a contract. Has anyone else had this issue or has she been misinformed?
Old Jan 11th 2011, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile phone contracts

I got one earlier this year having only been in the country a couple of weeks so it sounds like she's been misinformed. That was with 3 (now bought by Vodafone).

I swerve clear of Optus anyway if I were you, no-one I know who is with them has a good word to say.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 5:55 am
Banned

MrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
I got one earlier this year having only been in the country a couple of weeks so it sounds like she's been misinformed. That was with 3 (now bought by Vodafone).

I swerve clear of Optus anyway if I were you, no-one I know who is with them has a good word to say.
Thanks for the feedback, but I heard Vodafone have issues with their network??
Old Jan 11th 2011, 6:42 am
Just Joined

gilesyard is just really nicegilesyard is just really nicegilesyard is just really nicegilesyard is just really nicegilesyard is just really nicegilesyard is just really nicegilesyard is just really nicegilesyard is just really nice

Just a thought; you might want to take a look at 'amaysim'. I've just been scouting around to get rid of Virgin and this looks as though it might be a good alternative to a plan. The rates are cheap enough and no contracts. BYO phone though.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 7:48 am
Account Closed

MissyB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80

We use Optus for home phone, broadband and iphone 4 and have found them good. Ended up putting the iphone in my hubby's name though because he is Aussie with credit history here so was easier.

Telestra is the one I'd steer clear of but then others might disagree!

Last edited by MissyB; Jan 11th 2011 at 7:49 am. Reason: Or even Telstra!
Old Jan 11th 2011, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

GeordieGeek will become famous soon enoughGeordieGeek will become famous soon enough

Does anyone have any links to good mobile phone comparison sites over in Oz to help compare the deals on offer etc?
Old Jan 11th 2011, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrJenkins
Thanks for the feedback, but I heard Vodafone have issues with their network??
The 3 network for me has been great in Sydney, I even plug it into my laptop and use it as as wireless modem and it s a good connection. Though I do lose the network when I go out of town and have to roam on telstra network instead which is expensive.

I don't really know which is best, everyone seems to have totally different experiences! But it is strange you can't get a contract.
Old Jan 11th 2011, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeordieGeek
Does anyone have any links to good mobile phone comparison sites over in Oz to help compare the deals on offer etc?
There are several discussion threads on Whirlpool, such as http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=1572741. I found a website a while ago via Whirlpool, but must have forgotten to save it, sorry.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

GeordieGeek will become famous soon enoughGeordieGeek will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by HelenTD
There are several discussion threads on Whirlpool, such as http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=1572741. I found a website a while ago via Whirlpool, but must have forgotten to save it, sorry.
Cheers will take a look. Please reply or PM me if you think of that site!
Old Jan 13th 2011, 5:47 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gilesyard
Just a thought; you might want to take a look at 'amaysim'. I've just been scouting around to get rid of Virgin and this looks as though it might be a good alternative to a plan. The rates are cheap enough and no contracts. BYO phone though.
I've just changed to them from Virgin after another poster mentioned them. So far they seem well organised. Just waiting for my number to be ported across.