MMR Question

Old Jun 29th 2004, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough
Default MMR Question

Hi all

Ihave just been to the docs to get my childrens innoculation records printed off. At the time of my daughters second MMR jab she was given a tetanus jab and was so distraught I refused the MMR. I have not been back to have it done.

I don't need to know the rights and wrongs of this, as peoples opinions are very strong and very divided but what I do need to know is: Do Australian (Perth) schools or even government expect it to be done as a matter of course? In other words has she GOT to have it done?

Thanks for any replies

Lindsey
Old Jun 29th 2004, 2:20 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: MMR Question

Originally posted by lindseyden
Hi all

Ihave just been to the docs to get my childrens innoculation records printed off. At the time of my daughters second MMR jab she was given a tetanus jab and was so distraught I refused the MMR. I have not been back to have it done.

I don't need to know the rights and wrongs of this, as peoples opinions are very strong and very divided but what I do need to know is: Do Australian (Perth) schools or even government expect it to be done as a matter of course? In other words has she GOT to have it done?

Thanks for any replies

Lindsey

These links should help you. I typed in 'MMR' and 'Schools' into an australian search engine. There are a few reports and quite a few links that should point you in the right direction.

There are still ways to get seperate jabs done and I would strongly recommend this. I've seen proof that the government has lied to us over this and have campaigned against the 'all-in-one' jab.

Good luck.

http://www.ncirs.usyd.edu.au/decisionaid/index.html

http://www.health.gov.au/archive/med...98/mw15098.htm

http://www.nrdgp.org.au/directory/do...s/23/May02.pdf

http://bulletin.ninemsn.com.au/bulle...256D900023A3B7

Steve.
Old Jun 29th 2004, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

jerzy is an unknown quantity at this point

We're in a similar position as my son has had single jabs in the UK but has not yet had his boosters.

From what I've found out Oz schools do expect kids to be immunised, don't know whether single jabs or MMR makes any difference. You can get the MMR or single jabs in Oz but I think the single jabs may be expensive.

We've spoken to our GP, who has also given her daughter single jabs, and she has stated that the risk of kids developing either autism or crones disease after 3 years of age is almost non existent.
We are considering giving our son the MMR booster as he has now turned 3. The UK government is still restricting the importation of the mumps vaccine so we are unlikely to be able to complete his course of single jab immunisation before we depart in October.

I sympathise with you as at times it seems an impossible decision, just go with what you think is right. Good luck with the decision.
Old Jun 29th 2004, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jerzy
You can get the MMR or single jabs in Oz but I think the single jabs may be expensive.
Hi Jerzy
I just read one of the links above (report dated Sept 03) and it says single vaccines are NOT available in Australia:

"He added that it would not be possible for Australian children to be given three separate injections in place of the combined MMR – an option in Britain and Europe – for one good reason. "The Australian health system does not carry separate shots of these vaccines. We are so confident of the safety of MMR that we don't stockpile separate vaccines for these viruses," he says. "

I just wondered if you - or anyone - can confirm whether you can or can't have single jabs in Oz? (THis doesn't affect me yet but could do in the next 3 years)
Thanks
HP
Old Jun 30th 2004, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

angelica will become famous soon enoughangelica will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Hi Jerzy
I just read one of the links above (report dated Sept 03) and it says single vaccines are NOT available in Australia:

"He added that it would not be possible for Australian children to be given three separate injections in place of the combined MMR – an option in Britain and Europe – for one good reason. "The Australian health system does not carry separate shots of these vaccines. We are so confident of the safety of MMR that we don't stockpile separate vaccines for these viruses," he says. "

I just wondered if you - or anyone - can confirm whether you can or can't have single jabs in Oz? (THis doesn't affect me yet but could do in the next 3 years)
Thanks
HP
Hi HP, regarding the single jabs question, my friend in Perth asked her GP to let her baby have single jabs for MMR & he said they are not available in Australia.

Im sure I read in the Family Assistance literature last year that if your child is not fully immunised against MMR then your benefits will be reduced unless you have a letter from your GP stating a reason why your child cannot be immunised.

There was an article in the Sunday paper this week about an autistic girl whose mother was confident she hadnt been affected by the MMR jab as the girl had shown symptoms of autism from a very young age. She did say though that she has concerns about the DTP jab which babies have at 2, 3 & 4 months of age because of the levels of mercury in the jab!!! A mother's place is always in the wrong!!

Angelica
Old Jun 30th 2004, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

jerzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Hi Jerzy

Thanks
HP
At the time I asked I was told that you can get single vaccines privately, but not through the healthcare system. What this means I don't know, as far as I can see all doctors in Australia seem to be private. Can anyone else clarify this.

If you speak to anyone in the NHS here in the UK they will also tell you that you cannot get single vaccines. I suspect that like most things if you're willing to pay enough you can get whatever you want.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

bonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant futurebonza69 has a brilliant future

hi there ,
i dont know if tis helps ,but here goes,
i have 2 children age 4 and 3 ,we moved to perth a month a go.....when i went to enrol my eldest at pre primary they asked 4 immunisation records...my children have not had there mmr,as there so much rite and wrong,and until the doctors say its 100%then my children will remain un-vacinated,that s just my opinion,im not taking a risk........(i had no jabs at all as a youngster and have remained heath related free,(no chicken pox,mumps or serious illness etc)Any how,when they asked 4 his records i said i have them,BUT he and she has not had all there vaxcines,and they were fine with this...no probs.......They said its a mothers (and fathers) wish and we will go along with that.Its not required for ur child to have had all the jabs,(well not in the north suburbs any way)
hope it helps
natasha
Old Jul 1st 2004, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

karen p is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you have to get the immunisation records printed off
from your doctors or is the red book that all children have
OK?

Karen
Old Jul 1st 2004, 4:14 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by karen p
Do you have to get the immunisation records printed off
from your doctors or is the red book that all children have
OK?

Karen
Red book is fine.

We did get the local clinic to produce computer records of childrens jabs as well. 10 pound per child but a single sheet seemed easier to us.

Cheers
Old Jul 1st 2004, 4:15 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another similar thread - interesting

For information

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=238984

Read Hevs bit about child allowance!

Cheers