Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mining jobs in Australia

Mining jobs in Australia

Old Jan 12th 2012, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

timmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud of
Default Re: Mining jobs in Australia

Do you know if there are taking on assistant quantity surveyors ?
Old Jan 12th 2012, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by timmerman
Do you know if there are taking on assistant quantity surveyors ?
I have never seen one advertised. Though maybe some of the contract mining companies use them
Old Jan 12th 2012, 3:54 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

There's an ad on Seek today for senior electrical designers for a mining project. They are paying $120ph with a 50 hour week - minimum 12 month contract. That's $275k a year. Free parking too - which is $18+/day.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 4:18 am
Just Joined

Diesel Jockey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by macy
The best way to go is to drive into the mine sites and have a word with them on-site, not for everybody but I know a few people who decided to give it a go and they all found employment in the mines, live rough but earn big.
You are dreaming Macey, most of these mine sites are in remote areas that take days to drive to and even then you would be promptly told to get offsite as they are NOT public roads
Old Jan 12th 2012, 9:11 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Diesel Jockey
You are dreaming Macey, most of these mine sites are in remote areas that take days to drive to and even then you would be promptly told to get offsite as they are NOT public roads
And often the ROW is on private landowners property and neither the mine owners or the landowners will be happy about that
Old Jan 12th 2012, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Also dont know many sites where you live rough. Most rooms are like small hotel rooms with air con, on-suite and cleaned for you and a tv with foxtel. I have never had a issue with the food in fact too easy to put weight on and the facilities on site usually include sports pitches, gym swimming pool and of course a bar. A lot of sites also put entertainment on. Last year we had the world champion pool player to play against us in the bar, a wine tasting by one of the big wine companies, quizes and other bits and pieces.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 9:34 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Also dont know many sites where you live rough. Most rooms are like small hotel rooms with air con, on-suite and cleaned for you and a tv with foxtel. I have never had a issue with the food in fact too easy to put weight on and the facilities on site usually include sports pitches, gym swimming pool and of course a bar. A lot of sites also put entertainment on. Last year we had the world champion pool player to play against us in the bar, a wine tasting by one of the big wine companies, quizes and other bits and pieces.
a lot of conpanies are cutting back on the alcohol made available cos it has caused some major probs. Some companies are going down the dry mess route, others bringing in low alcohol beer, and some others only allowing 2 hr drinking opportunity
Old Jan 12th 2012, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Yah i know. Terrble. Luckily i have never faced any of that. In fact my current site we get free beer with dinner and last site there was always some sort of celebration on that gave a free bar. Company policy is simple. We are adults and its up to us to turn up for work, blow zero and be able to do the job. I always found i could have what i wanted before 8:30pm as long as i drank plent of water as well
Old Jan 12th 2012, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Breath tested at the mine?? I don't drink alot anyway, in fact iv not had a drink since boxing day! Do people get trollied at the site pubs?
Old Jan 12th 2012, 12:19 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Breath tested at the mine?? I don't drink alot anyway, in fact iv not had a drink since boxing day! Do people get trollied at the site pubs?
Yes even when there's breath testing! Best ones is when the bosses blow numbers
Old Jan 12th 2012, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

You get tested every morning. The better sites have a self test in camp that allows you to see if you are zero, then if your not you can call in to say you are going to be late. My boss was fine with the odd blow out as long as you dont make a habbit of it. But you must NEVER turn up for the official test and blow numbers. Thats dismissal.

Have seen some funny ones though. We had a drillers off sider who was a typical Irish guy and lets just say liked his beer. Day after his birthday he was still blowing 0.15 at 2pm!

The day after Australia day was also good. Half the management (me included) were rather late for work

Though some sites are a lot stricter and has mentioned some dont allow booze on site or have restrictive rules. In my experience it doesnt work as people just smugle it in. You would be surpised what they get in! We found half a dozen working girls one day and they had been there a week!
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:30 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy

Hubs works in Exploration and would literally kill for those facilities!

Attached photo is the summer camp at one of the sites he's worked at.

Having said that, he claims that one of the best meals he has ever eaten was at that camp, when they got a dutch oven going and threw in half a cow!

His current camp is about 40km away from the nearest township, which wierdly happens to have a 50m swimming pool so he is now a happy camper. Normally if he wants to go swimming he has to use the turkeys nest.
Attached Thumbnails Mining jobs in Australia-summerbed.jpg  
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:35 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
At some of the remote camps there is nothing else to do, so they all sit around drinking. Easy to blow numbers when thats the situation.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids

Having said that, he claims that one of the best meals he has ever eaten was at that camp, when they got a dutch oven going and threw in half a cow!

His current camp is about 40km away from the nearest township, which wierdly happens to have a 50m swimming pool so he is now a happy camper. Normally if he wants to go swimming he has to use the turkeys nest.
Exploration is different to mining as i know well. I am an exploration geologist. I have done brownfield which is mine based and greenfield which is bush based. Currently greenfield in the Congo central Africa.

I have spent many a night on camp beds like that and i enjoy it. And yep, i have had some great meals in the bush. Here, we have a main camp where i am now with sat TV and good food, then next week i go bush and thats VERY different. Tents in the jungle and a diet of rice for the duration.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids

I will be over in the next few months to start an exploration job.. Dont much fancy that bed!!

Where does your husband work?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.