Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Minimum assets required for general skilled migration

Minimum assets required for general skilled migration

Old Sep 28th 2006, 11:48 am
Just Joined

jones74 will become famous soon enoughjones74 will become famous soon enough
Question Minimum assets required for general skilled migration

Hi my half brother would like to emigrate to Australia to join me and my sister who have both emigrated here. He has a trade but next to no savings and has no assets. Question 24 on the general skilled migration form asks about this; does anyone know if there is any means testing? I know that the sars visa states that 25 k au is required in savings; but I can not find out if this is the same with gsm?

This is a sad tale as our mother has been diagnosed with terminal cancer and he will be left in the UK with no family with mentioning once she passes away; we did look into the last remaining relative visa but I dont think he could apply for this as his father is still alive even though he has not had contact with him since he was a child.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what visa he could apply for or can anyone shed any light on the means testing question.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by jones74; Sep 28th 2006 at 11:49 am. Reason: typo
Old Sep 28th 2006, 11:56 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Minimum assets required for general skilled migration

Originally Posted by jones74
Hi my half brother would like to emigrate to Australia to join me and my sister who have both emigrated here. He has a trade but next to no savings and has no assets. Question 24 on the general skilled migration form asks about this; does anyone know if there is any means testing? I know that the sars visa states that 25 k au is required in savings; but I can not find out if this is the same with gsm?

This is a sad tale as our mother has been diagnosed with terminal cancer and he will be left in the UK with no family with mentioning once she passes away; we did look into the last remaining relative visa but I dont think he could apply for this as his father is still alive even though he has not had contact with him since he was a child.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what visa he could apply for or can anyone shed any light on the means testing question.

Thanks for your time.
i filled a figure in for that question but to my knowledge i cannot see how they can prove one way or the other how much you will really be bringing
i would suggest that he puts say 20k
they just want to see that you wont be needing state assistant
Old Sep 28th 2006, 12:05 pm
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Minimum assets required for general skilled migration

Originally Posted by jones74

Thanks for your time.
Our agent suggested that we be truthful but that they are looking to the fact that you can support yourself. Keep in mind it's not what assets you have now but what you will come with so he could just estimate a best possible scenario. As steve'o suggests £20k sounds about right.....
Martyn