Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Min Cash to move

Min Cash to move

Old Mar 22nd 2010, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

oxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant future
Default Min Cash to move

Have been reading through many threads on here (great forum!!) Was wondering what people on here would think of the minimum amount of cash you would need to make the move to Oz (sydney area)?

I was thinking the region of £10k, and hoping to get work within 1-2 months...

Would this be reasonable or would it be a tight squeeze...they'd be two of us looking for work, both professionals, myself and Engineer and girlfirend works as a crime scene officer??
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

infinjohn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Min Cash to move

I think you should be pretty safe with that amount to get you through 2-3 months without work. We've budgeted around 5K per month (worst case) expenses for the first few months and that is living relatively comfortably.

Also, seems the engineering profession is picking up steam quite nicely now, so see no reason why you wont get work quickly. What line of engineering are you in?
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

oxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant futureoxford_lad has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by infinjohn
I think you should be pretty safe with that amount to get you through 2-3 months without work. We've budgeted around 5K per month (worst case) expenses for the first few months and that is living relatively comfortably.

Also, seems the engineering profession is picking up steam quite nicely now, so see no reason why you wont get work quickly. What line of engineering are you in?
Is that living in the Sydney area?

I'm a mechanical design engineer, I do 3D CAD modeling using ProEngineer. Have worked manly for industrial / scientific area, cryogenics, defence and nuclear installations so have varied experience from heavy engineering down to high precision components.

Have looked a seek.au for jobs using 3D CAD but not seen any...
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

infinjohn is an unknown quantity at this point

Were looking in Perth and the budget was for Perth but dont see much issue with what you have planned in. Maybe someone else can comment.

Also, not too familiar with Mechanical Engineering as i am an electrical engineer, but i do know they are in heavy demand at the moment. Plenty HVAC, industrial jobs being advertised. Have you tried calling some companies yet? When do you plan to move?

By the way, being a crime scene officer must be pretty cool too! I bet she see a whole bunch of weird stuff at times
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by infinjohn
Were looking in Perth and the budget was for Perth but dont see much issue with what you have planned in. Maybe someone else can comment.

Also, not too familiar with Mechanical Engineering as i am an electrical engineer, but i do know they are in heavy demand at the moment. Plenty HVAC, industrial jobs being advertised. Have you tried calling some companies yet? When do you plan to move?

By the way, being a crime scene officer must be pretty cool too! I bet she see a whole bunch of weird stuff at times

Yeah does see some sights I must admit, well those she can tell me about!!

Not contacted any companies yet, thought I'd get a few ideas of companies from this forum. Had a few from another thread so will follow those up.

Not got a date as yet, finding out info firstly, the appliying for a spouse visa as misses was born in Sydney...