Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Military pensions

Military pensions

Old May 2nd 2005, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Taff n Mand is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Military pensions

Hi all, after 24 years in the RAF, I'm off to Vic next july. Ive heard a few stories about my pension. I know that I have to move my gratuity and savings within 6 months but what about my pension?

Stories vary as to weather I will pay tax in the UK and Oz, or just in Oz. Is there any advice that you can offer.

Any help welcome

Last edited by Taff n Mand; May 2nd 2005 at 8:29 pm.
Old May 2nd 2005, 8:52 pm
Living the Dream

RockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant future
Default Re: Military pensions

Originally Posted by Taff n Mand
Hi all, after 24 years in the RAF, I'm off to Vic next july. Ive heard a few stories about my pension. I know that I have to move my gratuity and savings within 6 months but what about my pension?

Stories vary as to weather I will pay tax in the UK and Oz, or just in Oz. Is there any advice that you can offer.

Any help welcome
Hi Taff n Mand

I am in the same position as yourself, 26 years in the RAF, but moving to Canberra to work for the Oz Defence Dept (in a weeks time). I believe that if you keep your pension in the UK you will have to declare the pension and pay the UK tax and again any tax owing dependent on your earnings in Australia. You could always have it paid straight to Australia and again have to pay the appropriate tax dependent on your earnings. Unfortunately we are in a catch 22 position, just hope you took max computation when you left. What trade were you in?
Old May 2nd 2005, 9:00 pm
Visa Granted 20 Jan 05

bert-doozer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Military pensions

Originally Posted by Taff n Mand

Any help welcome
Taff,

Contact the peeps at our tax office at Ty Glas, they were very good when i spoke to them.

Basicaly we will be able to get our pensions paid tax free, but it will be taxed when brought into Oz. You can also have it paid in Oz Dollars to an Oz bank if you want.

Hope this helps

stu