Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Migrating with kids...when is the best time?

Migrating with kids...when is the best time?

Old Aug 6th 2008, 11:54 am
semi-pom

semi-pom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Migrating with kids...when is the best time?

Hi all - looking for some advice, please?

To cut a long story short as I can, we spent 2007 on the Gold Coast and had to return to UK as the employer sponsoring us went bust. We found it difficult to find another sponsor in the 28 days we were allowed to remain in Oz for...plus agencies like freespirit could not sponsor for Feb/March for whatever reason. Anyhow, we are back in UK and would love to return to Oz but think maybe a return without a need for a 457 would be better so we are not put in that situation again.

Our kids are currently 4 & 2 (and the eldest keeps asking to go to the airport to go back to Australia), and after studying etc to get a PR visa ourselves would take a minimum of 5 years...perhaps even 6. This would mean the kids would be 9 & 7 or 10 & 8.

For anyone who has migrated with kids these ages, how did you find your kids adjusting to a new country? I grew up in Africa and know the heartache of missing the place you grew up in and not knowing where you belong - would HATE my kids to experience that kind of feeling. Granted I moved back to the UK when I was 18 and that is a whole lot older than 10.

So its either stay in UK forever and not contemplate a return to Oz; wait until we can return in 5 years time; or take a risk on a 457 again and hope like hell that we do not get a raw deal again.

Sorry for the ramble...thanks for reading...just hoping someone can give some impartial advice.

Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migrating with kids...when is the best time?

Sorry to hear of your rough deal.

Have you consider regional visas - less points required different occupations to the modl required?

As far as kids concerned we came 8 mnths ago with 3, 5 7 years boys who didn't really want to come as they worried about friends and missing school )not that they'll believe the last bit in a few years!)

Now they don't want to go back to UK. They love it and definately want to stay a few years at least. They adjusted really quickly as soon as they made a few friends. Missing family and friends is hard but they didn't see that much of grandparents before and we've already had visits from 2 or the 3 sets they have.

Good Luck whatever you decide. I doubt you'd be so unlucky again. Maybe some of the contacts you made when you were here could help you get another job from the uk - maybe with PR sponsorship by the employer (RSMS or ENS) this time instead of 457
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:08 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Migrating with kids...when is the best time?

Every child will think differently about OZ. I have 3 kids, 2 like it here, the other hated it and went back to UK. She is 16. I think most children under the age of 10 accept OZ the way it is. Teenagers i wouldn't recommend bringing (from my experience).
Also disrupting their education at a later age is a concern, so then again under 10 i think is ok.