Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

migrating with cats?

migrating with cats?

Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all
Default migrating with cats?

Hi,

Can anyone offer any advice or share their experience on migrating with Cats?

We had originally intended on rehoming our moggies but as it gets closer I think it's going to be harder to leave them than the relatives. A conversation at work last night sort of brought to home when a collegue who used to be a vet nurse said very matter of fact 'so - what are you going to do with the cats rehome them or havem put down?' I was gutted but she just said that I'd be suprised how many people did it because you could never be sure about who they would end up with and at least they had had a good life with us.......

So as you can imagine I have had a massive turn around and now want to take them with us. My OH is pretty keen to rehome but I could just do with some advice so if anyone out there has any please post.

ta very much,

Shelley
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:48 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: migrating with cats?

Originally Posted by sheli0508
Hi,

We had originally intended on rehoming our moggies but as it gets closer I think it's going to be harder to leave them than the relatives. A conversation at work last night sort of brought to home when a collegue who used to be a vet nurse said very matter of fact 'so - what are you going to do with the cats rehome them or havem put down?' I was gutted but she just said that I'd be suprised how many people did it because you could never be sure about who they would end up with and at least they had had a good life with us.......

So as you can imagine I have had a massive turn around and now want to take them with us. My OH is pretty keen to rehome but I could just do with some advice so if anyone out there has any please post.

ta very much,

Shelley
Bring them... It's not that difficult to do and shouldn't cost too much for a couple of cats... This is the AQIS site where you can start off looking what to do... Get the permit application in asap... Then contact some pet shippers for quotes, we used Pinehawk Kennels who were very good... Have a search on the forum for this as there's been quite a few threads and you can find out all you need to know here...
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:50 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

We spent 1000 pounds to bring 2 cats. And when we moved to our new house the both disappeared

Originally Posted by sheli0508
Hi,

ta very much,

Shelley
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:09 pm
Oz here we are!!!

JoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really niceJoandStuV is just really nice

Hi Shelley,

We brought our two cats over in September and they are both still living with us (thank God)! It cost a fair bit, 1400 GBP UK end and $1,000 in quarantine fees this end. We used Golden Arrow Shippers who were brilliant, they collected them from our home, got them on the flight and arranged pick up and transfer to quarantine. They spent 4 weeks in quarantine and another 2 months in a cattery while we toured Australia , they have honestly suffered no ill effects whatsoever.

The only recommendation is to book early as the quarantine places can get quite busy, they recommend at least 3 months notice.

It is expensive but personally I couldn't even consider leaving them behind, they are part of the family!

Jo.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 5:48 am
Just Joined

Just Lisa will become famous soon enoughJust Lisa will become famous soon enough

How can anyone be that cruel to put an animal down just because the owners are moving abroad?

I brought my cat with me, she is only 4 and when I got her I got her for life, she stays with me, if it costs a lot then so be it. Would you put your kids down if you wanted to go off travelling as a single parent? I know there's a difference between pets and children but people should ensure they stick to their responsibilities.

It cost me 1000pounds in total but she is here now and I don't regret spending one penny to get her here, hopefully I'll get my money's worth by her sticking around for a good few years.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 7:22 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lisa.Nick
How can anyone be that cruel to put an animal down just because the owners are moving abroad?

I brought my cat with me, she is only 4 and when I got her I got her for life, she stays with me, if it costs a lot then so be it. Would you put your kids down if you wanted to go off travelling as a single parent? I know there's a difference between pets and children but people should ensure they stick to their responsibilities.

It cost me 1000pounds in total but she is here now and I don't regret spending one penny to get her here, hopefully I'll get my money's worth by her sticking around for a good few years.
Bought our cat with us... he's enjoying retirement, lying in a grass pile all day, appearing when he requires feeding.
It's already been worth the money that he's here and a valuable lesson for the kids (though we considered having them put down)

Old Jan 19th 2007, 7:25 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iPom
Bought our cat with us... he's enjoying retirement, lying in a grass pile all day, appearing when he requires feeding.
It's already been worth the money that he's here and a valuable lesson for the kids (though we considered having them put down)

i have bought two cats in OZ. Boy and girl. Cost me $1000 for both..so i will definatley be taking them back with me to UK if and when we go. I guess it will be a similar price to take them back!
Old Jan 19th 2007, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all

Thanks for all the replys.

Gives me more amunition for the OH - he wouldn't consider putting them down - he's a big softy. (i hope he doesn't read this) he just thought they'd be better here.

We have 3 cats aged between 10 and 13. I'll have a look at the links to see what I can find. just have to budget it in somewhere but anyway....

cheers again

Shelley
Old Jan 19th 2007, 1:47 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

There is a clear procedure that you need to go through in order to export your cats and depending on when you are going you may or may not have time to follow it through.

I would suggest that before you do anything contact [email protected] he has been very helpful and will be able to tell you the first available place in quarantine. This is taken from their website:

"People wishing to have their pets accommodated at an Australian animal quarantine station should apply for an import permit at least 5 months in advance of anticipated departure."

Once you know if the timing is ok the steps you need take are in this order.

1. Get your pets microchipped (needed before applying for an import permit)
2. Obtain an Import permit from aqis
3. Book a place in quarantine (you can only do this when you have a permit number)
4. Select shipping agent
5. Arrange for vaccinations at least 14 days prior to departure
6. Request an export licence from DEFRA (can take several weeks)
7. Arrange medical checks upto 96hrs before departure

The costs involved are:

Import permit AU$280 for 1st cat $60 for additional (£135)
Quarantine & boarding Approx AU$853 approx for 2 cats (£340)
Export health Certificate £95 per cat (£190)
Shipping £745

Total cost excluding Vet fees £1410

I hope this is of some help. We are leaving in February and I started the arrangements in September.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

Sun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really nice

Originally Posted by bigAPE
There is a clear procedure that you need to go through in order to export your cats and depending on when you are going you may or may not have time to follow it through.

I would suggest that before you do anything contact [email protected] he has been very helpful and will be able to tell you the first available place in quarantine. This is taken from their website:

"People wishing to have their pets accommodated at an Australian animal quarantine station should apply for an import permit at least 5 months in advance of anticipated departure."

Once you know if the timing is ok the steps you need take are in this order.

1. Get your pets microchipped (needed before applying for an import permit)
2. Obtain an Import permit from aqis
3. Book a place in quarantine (you can only do this when you have a permit number)
4. Select shipping agent
5. Arrange for vaccinations at least 14 days prior to departure
6. Request an export licence from DEFRA (can take several weeks)
7. Arrange medical checks upto 96hrs before departure

The costs involved are:

Import permit AU$280 for 1st cat $60 for additional (£135)
Quarantine & boarding Approx AU$853 approx for 2 cats (£340)
Export health Certificate £95 per cat (£190)
Shipping £745

Total cost excluding Vet fees £1410

I hope this is of some help. We are leaving in February and I started the arrangements in September.
Thanks bigAPE,

we are already over here and our cats have been temporarily with the in laws who were happy to have them for a while until we settled here. We want to make arrangements for them to come over soon.

We have two cats and I thought that it would be over £1,000 per cat so your £1,400 for two looks good and the OH will be pleased.

Can't wait to get them over here, it will feel more like home. Just hope they don't get bitten by any nasties when they get over here.