Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Migrants, my house is absolutely freezing...

Wikiposts

Migrants, my house is absolutely freezing...

Old May 28th 2006, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migrants, my house is absolutely freezing...

When I was growing up in the UK we did not have central heating either.

We had 10mins with a fan heater to get dressed in the morning. This was before my paper round.

I didn't get central heating until I left home.

Now I am happy with 17 degrees.
Old May 28th 2006, 11:27 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Probably has something to do as well with all the windows being single glazed, on top of the gaps under everything, but so far not cold enough to ice the windows so just increase the clothes and the blankets and you should be fine... .
Old May 28th 2006, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tygwyn
I know! Cant believe I left my microwavable one in the UK believing I would never need it in Oz!! :scared:
I want pvc windows and central heating putting in.
My hubby thinks im joking.
Old May 28th 2006, 12:37 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Get a double brick house. Warm in winter, cool in summer.

Double glazing doesn't do anything much - it's a con. Double the insulation in your roof and then feel the benefit.
Old May 28th 2006, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by iPom
Get a double brick house. Warm in winter, cool in summer.

Double glazing doesn't do anything much - it's a con. Double the insulation in your roof and then feel the benefit.

Yep, a double brick house is the way to go. with insulation in the roof.

A convective wood burner is a must.

Mind, IMHO, the fact there is no gas central heating in our house keeps the cold and flu away.
Old May 28th 2006, 2:43 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

I always like to think on the bright side but there is one when you are freezing in the house and it's warm outside... Carbon Monoxide Detectors. Have you ever seen one here? Can you buy one? Do they send you to a car place when you ask at Bunnings????
It's because there are so many gaps that there is no build up here. In the UK the heat and whatever else is in the house stays there.

I can actually post the 'local directory' through the gap in my kitchen door and you can see light around the window frames from outside the kitchen window! I suppose there must be the downside of global warning in that case:scared:
LJJ
Old May 28th 2006, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljj
I always like to think on the bright side but there is one when you are freezing in the house and it's warm outside... Carbon Monoxide Detectors. Have you ever seen one here? Can you buy one? Do they send you to a car place when you ask at Bunnings????
It's because there are so many gaps that there is no build up here. In the UK the heat and whatever else is in the house stays there.

I can actually post the 'local directory' through the gap in my kitchen door and you can see light around the window frames from outside the kitchen window! I suppose there must be the downside of global warning in that case:scared:
LJJ

It's all good Australian building standards.

I can really understand why it is so difficult to get registered in Australia if you are a UK tradesman. Clearly, the standard is so much better here.
Old May 28th 2006, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

We've got a Norwegian lass that works with us. She claims that she has never felt this cold in winter before inside a house.

She is renting, and probably has as bad insulation as any poster here. I've got to admit the transition from Summer to Winter in Melbourne this year was as stark a change as I''ve seen in my time here.
Old May 28th 2006, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
We've got a Norwegian lass that works with us. She claims that she has never felt this cold in winter before inside a house.

She is renting, and probably has as bad insulation as any poster here. I've got to admit the transition from Summer to Winter in Melbourne this year was as stark a change as I''ve seen in my time here.

So, if it is as cold as all that, why don't they build houses with less gaps under doors and around window frames, double brick walls, loft insulation?

It ain't rocket science.

In the UK - sure you get some cold houses but here it seems that it's virtually the norm.
Old May 28th 2006, 4:40 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
So, if it is as cold as all that, why don't they build houses with less gaps under doors and around window frames, double brick walls, loft insulation?

It ain't rocket science.

In the UK - sure you get some cold houses but here it seems that it's virtually the norm.
Becase if you want insulated and double brick you have to pay for it. It's all about cutting corners here.

My house is freezing too.
Old May 28th 2006, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by renth
Becase if you want insulated and double brick you have to pay for it. It's all about cutting corners here.

My house is freezing too.
Makes me feel a bit better to know everyone else is shivering in the evening.

I reckon that instead of putting so much effort into minimum working conditions for builders and tradespeople, the state govt should concentrate a little more on minimum standards for houses.
Old May 28th 2006, 5:03 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Makes me feel a bit better to know everyone else is shivering in the evening.

I reckon that instead of putting so much effort into minimum working conditions for builders and tradespeople, the state govt should concentrate a little more on minimum standards for houses.
I have family visiting Perth from California at the moment. California has a similar climate to Western Australia & they tell me that double glazing is compulsory on all new builds & retrofitted windows. So. if they do it there, why not here?
Old May 28th 2006, 5:56 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

It gets down to minus eight or nine here but een by day - it's been sunny blue sky all day - it's freezing inside . And the CH has been running flat out since 0430 too!

There are the usual 2" gaps under the doors - with sausages pushed in to stop the snakes coming out of the cold - the standard 3mm glass windows (you wouldn't think glass could be made that thin!) and Oz insulation.....

In our own house design we are going for max insulation etc - and they look at you as if you are mad! "4mm glass - you must be made of money!"
Old May 28th 2006, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

So, if it is as cold as all that, why don't they build houses with less gaps under doors.
I think it might have something to do with safety - gases - smoke 'an all.
The gaps are deliberate - I think, even if now outdated.
Old May 28th 2006, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we are lovely and toasty- maybe because Melbourne is one of the colder states

Ours is a double brick house, with underfloor heating, and at the moment we have a real log fire roaring away. Hmmmmm......

Underfloor heating does have a disadvantage- the cat tends to lay in the warm patches, so you have to be careful before stepping, as he particularly likes doorways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.