Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Migrant intake may decrease

Migrant intake may decrease

Old Oct 28th 2008, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migrant intake may decrease

Originally Posted by JAJ
And some 457 holders may discover that, even if they don't lose their job, it could become a lot harder to get permanent resident status.
Do you mean harder than if they were still in the UK? or it'll be a level playing field for all those applying regardless of where they are? ie onshore PR applications no different to offshore

I can see why they'd restrict 457 grants from now on as temp visa holders contribute less to growth than PR but preventing existing 457's from obtaining PR prevents them from making that contribution - unless they can remove the 457 and free the job back for real Aussies. Surely they'll either leave soonish or contribute to growth on obtaining PR...

What's your view on which visa types will be affected and in what way?
Old Oct 28th 2008, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Aberboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Safin
Do you mean harder than if they were still in the UK? or it'll be a level playing field for all those applying regardless of where they are? ie onshore PR applications no different to offshore

I can see why they'd restrict 457 grants from now on as temp visa holders contribute less to growth than PR but preventing existing 457's from obtaining PR prevents them from making that contribution - unless they can remove the 457 and free the job back for real Aussies. Surely they'll either leave soonish or contribute to growth on obtaining PR...

Why do you think this would affect 457? In order to bring a 457 from oversees, the company need to show that they cannot find such an eligible person in Aussie (correct me if i'm wrong).

As long as there is a job for a qualified 457, and there are no Aussies or PRs, why on the earth they should restrict 457?!
Old Oct 28th 2008, 10:17 pm
Banned

Newbie_Aussie is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Migrant intake may decrease

Originally Posted by Aberboy
Why do you think this would affect 457? In order to bring a 457 from oversees, the company need to show that they cannot find such an eligible person in Aussie (correct me if i'm wrong).

As long as there is a job for a qualified 457, and there are no Aussies or PRs, why on the earth they should restrict 457?!
I think this should be the process.Everywhere in the world (US,UK,Europe,Canada) its now a requirement that the sponsoring company must advertise several advertisements on internet and newspapers to first find a suitable match inside the country.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 11:50 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you think this would affect 457? In order to bring a 457 from oversees, the company need to show that they cannot find such an eligible person in Aussie (correct me if i'm wrong)

Labour market testing is not usually required as of now.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Labour market testing is not usually required as of now.
Actually JAJ although I'm being told this by DIAC and our agent this is no longer usually required, the Regional certifying Bodies - Sunshine Coast at least - are still demanding this advertising etc be done as a requirement.

I got told by RCB woman herself "I just do what DIAC tell me to do". Has no-one updated her its an out of date practice ?
Old Oct 29th 2008, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

Kimmy67 will become famous soon enoughKimmy67 will become famous soon enough

I know this might cause a spark in the hay shed but ....

I think its a good idea to shut the flood gates so to speak. Its a pity that the uk didn't do it years ago, it may not be so "packed to the rafters".

Its crazy to bring more people into a struggling economy, especially if they already have work in their mother country, a house and a fair lifestyle etc.

Personally every job that I have gone for recently has had 100 + applicants - which certainly wasn't the case 2 years ago when there were 3 applicants, and yes I am skilled!

I understand that there are still sectors that are in need, but its very hard to be recognised over here for your uk qualification, the first part of the process is the easy bit, actually proving yourself or at least being allowed to prove yourself seems much harder as the population grows.

Its a very difficult time when your a migrant into a country, just because they drive on the same side of the road and speak English, doesn't make it all easy and ok, and seriously who in their right mind would put their family out on the street (so to speak) if there is no need to.

When the mines are halting work and dismissing 400 people and they are paid fantastically - and the mines are our backbone at the moment, you have to stop and think about whats right for you.

Sorry if this offends anyone, but it is my opinion and I realise that not everyone will agree and I understand that everyone's opinion is no less important than my own but it is easier to see from this side of the water ....sometimes what you think you want isn't always what you need !
Old Oct 29th 2008, 12:58 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kimmy67
I know this might cause a spark in the hay shed but ....

I think its a good idea to shut the flood gates so to speak. Its a pity that the uk didn't do it years ago, it may not be so "packed to the rafters".

Its crazy to bring more people into a struggling economy, especially if they already have work in their mother country, a house and a fair lifestyle etc.

Personally every job that I have gone for recently has had 100 + applicants - which certainly wasn't the case 2 years ago when there were 3 applicants, and yes I am skilled!

I understand that there are still sectors that are in need, but its very hard to be recognised over here for your uk qualification, the first part of the process is the easy bit, actually proving yourself or at least being allowed to prove yourself seems much harder as the population grows.

Its a very difficult time when your a migrant into a country, just because they drive on the same side of the road and speak English, doesn't make it all easy and ok, and seriously who in their right mind would put their family out on the street (so to speak) if there is no need to.

When the mines are halting work and dismissing 400 people and they are paid fantastically - and the mines are our backbone at the moment, you have to stop and think about whats right for you.

Sorry if this offends anyone, but it is my opinion and I realise that not everyone will agree and I understand that everyone's opinion is no less important than my own but it is easier to see from this side of the water ....sometimes what you think you want isn't always what you need !
I don't think you could describe a country as vast as Australia with only 20 million inhabitants, as "packed to the rafters"
Old Oct 29th 2008, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
I don't think you could describe a country as vast as Australia with only 20 million inhabitants, as "packed to the rafters"
I think he means the uk is packed not aus
Old Oct 29th 2008, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

Kimmy67 will become famous soon enoughKimmy67 will become famous soon enough

Its a huge country yes, but only a small percentage (I think its something bizarre like 20%) of it is actually habitable, most of it is arid desert land.
Its not about filling the country up, its about making it grow, but you can't do that if there is no export, no work.

Its not loaded with sustainability, just look at its water supply, its already struggling, gas supplies etc.

It is valid as a growing country when you can provide ways and means of keeping your country self supporting, functioning, where as the Uk went into being a service country years ago. It can't sustain itself on just service, where does the income come from for the country?

I am not saying its not big enough, I'm saying why put more strain on the economy.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 2:16 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

I think he means the uk is packed not aus
Exactly my point. Australia still has plenty of scope for increased growth.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 2:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kimmy67
Its a huge country yes, but only a small percentage (I think its something bizarre like 20%) of it is actually habitable, most of it is arid desert land.
Its not about filling the country up, its about making it grow, but you can't do that if there is no export, no work.

Its not loaded with sustainability, just look at its water supply, its already struggling, gas supplies etc.

It is valid as a growing country when you can provide ways and means of keeping your country self supporting, functioning, where as the Uk went into being a service country years ago. It can't sustain itself on just service, where does the income come from for the country?

I am not saying its not big enough, I'm saying why put more strain on the economy.
The south-east of Queensland being a good example - electricity supply that struggles to cope in heatwave conditions, and a dwindling water supply. Severe water restirctions in place all year round, constant calls to conserve water, but they are still building new towns and people are still flooding in.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 2:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Actually JAJ although I'm being told this by DIAC and our agent this is no longer usually required, the Regional certifying Bodies - Sunshine Coast at least - are still demanding this advertising etc be done as a requirement.

I got told by RCB woman herself "I just do what DIAC tell me to do". Has no-one updated her its an out of date practice ?
IF RCB sign-off is needed then they can make up their own rules if they like.

However, most 457 cases, and ENS cases, do not need RCB involvement, even if they are in regional areas.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 2:56 am
JAJ
Retired

It is entirely possible, for example, that labour market testing will be reintroduced for 457 holders seeking permanent residence through ENS.

In other words, convincing employer to sponsor you for PR might not be enough - employer might also need to advertise your job.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 5:04 am
ABCDiamond

If unemployment goes up, the employers may well find that there are Australian Residents who can take the jobs, instead of needing to bring in temp workers.

The increase in temp workers has been because of the very low unemployment rates over the last few years.

This in now changing...

Old Oct 29th 2008, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
It is entirely possible, for example, that labour market testing will be reintroduced for 457 holders seeking permanent residence through ENS.

In other words, convincing employer to sponsor you for PR might not be enough - employer might also need to advertise your job.
Thats exactly what happens now for the RSMS. RCB's on the whole already ask for this even though DIAC don't (at the moment)

Last edited by Safin; Oct 29th 2008 at 7:02 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.