Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Migrant intake may decrease

Migrant intake may decrease

Old Oct 21st 2008, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Migrant intake may decrease

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/article.aspx?id=273863
Old Oct 21st 2008, 9:02 am
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of
Default Re: Migrant intake may decrease

I'm getting very twitchy. Don't think my job offer's secure at all at the moment.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 9:19 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve
I'm getting very twitchy. Don't think my job offer's secure at all at the moment.
hey twitchy bum you can have my job if you want it !

Lee
Old Oct 21st 2008, 9:29 am
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

Hooray!!!!

Sorry bad joke for those still waiting

Last edited by welshviking; Oct 21st 2008 at 9:29 am. Reason: sp
Old Oct 21st 2008, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

punoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to all

People who already applied..will this affect them? :O( waited for 4 years to apply..and now this ...pls pls dont say it will!!
Old Oct 21st 2008, 1:52 pm
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by punoo
People who already applied..will this affect them? :O( waited for 4 years to apply..and now this ...pls pls dont say it will!!
Same here! And people are getting made redundant left right and centre in my profession here
Old Oct 27th 2008, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Spoke to my agent about this 3 weeks ago, same answer as before when they cut the ocupations list for state sponsorship: if you are already in the system it should be okay.

If not, best get a move on!!

(At this juncture I would like to point out that I have no clue what the Oz govt will do, or legally where they would stand if they closed the door on some visas, or cut some temporary visas off the list)

PR visas less likely to be affected in the same way, worrying but factually correct statements from various politicians around "temporary visas are exactly that".......

If it was easy, then it wouldn't be worth doing......
Old Oct 27th 2008, 4:20 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinset
(At this juncture I would like to point out that I have no clue what the Oz govt will do, or legally where they would stand if they closed the door on some visas, or cut some temporary visas off the list)
Legally? Short answer is that as a sovereign country, Australia can do pretty much what it likes to change its immigration laws.

Only Australian citizens have an unqualified right to enter and remain in Australia.

Longer answer is that the Minister can change certain things at the stroke of a pen (the law authorises this through a Gazette Notice). Including migration quotas, pass/pool marks, SOL and MODL, etc.

Most changes to the rules for visas can be implemented by Regulations. Again more or less at the stroke of the Minister's pen, subject to being overturned by the Senate.

The final category of changes involves those that require amending the Migration Act, which can only be done by Parliament. Not the Minister.

And finally, skill assessment authorities and state migration authorities can change their own rules any time they like.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 4:53 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

I heard about the chance of cuts on the radio today. Saw the article below online. Last 2 paragraphs were interesting. The talk here at the moment is that there will be a big increase in unemployment over the next year which will make finding jobs for your average migrant a lot harder. Obviously those with specialized skills should be in a better position.

Australia may cut immigration amid financial crisis

21 hours ago

SYDNEY (AFP) — Australia may cut the flow of immigrants into the nation if unemployment rises in the face of the global financial crisis, a cabinet minister said Sunday.

Immigration Minister Chris Evans said the government would wait until the release in November of mid-year financial data before deciding on whether to reduce numbers.

"Clearly if the demand for labour comes off you'd adjust the migration programme accordingly," he told Nine Network television.

"We can turn the taps off if we need to.

"But there are still industries with strong demand for labour and we'll just have to talk to industry and make a judgment about what the appropriate level will be once we've got a bit better idea of what's happening in the economy ."

Around 190,300 immigrants are projected to arrive in Australia in 2008/09, with skilled workers accounting for most places as the country battles chronic labour shortages in some sectors.

Evans said the current programme was designed when Australia's forecast was for economic growth, high inflation and a skills crisis.

"If those parameters are changing, the government will take a sober look at those issues and make a decision when we have got proper information," he said.

Evans said any decision to cut the intake would be a complex process given the contributions new arrivals made to the economy.

"We know that they consume, they buy property, and they're a net positive to the budget," he said.

"And a lot of the skills that are coming in at the moment are in the mining sector, which has allowed us to increase our exports."

Evans said the global financial crisis had already boosted interest in immigration to Australia from countries experiencing an economic downturn such as Britain and New Zealand.

"I think the downturn in Great Britain over the last year or two has actually seen a renewed interest from Great Britain in people looking to migrate either temporarily or permanently," he said.

Last edited by HUP; Oct 27th 2008 at 4:59 am.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

MSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to allMSGuy is a name known to all

I think all we can do is wait and see

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...02-662,00.html
Old Oct 27th 2008, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
Legally? Short answer is that as a sovereign country, Australia can do pretty much what it likes to change its immigration laws.

Only Australian citizens have an unqualified right to enter and remain in Australia.

Longer answer is that the Minister can change certain things at the stroke of a pen (the law authorises this through a Gazette Notice). Including migration quotas, pass/pool marks, SOL and MODL, etc.

Most changes to the rules for visas can be implemented by Regulations. Again more or less at the stroke of the Minister's pen, subject to being overturned by the Senate.

The final category of changes involves those that require amending the Migration Act, which can only be done by Parliament. Not the Minister.

And finally, skill assessment authorities and state migration authorities can change their own rules any time they like.
Hi JAJ,

Thought that might be the case......guess the question may be how things are likely to develop and at what pace: again, critical thing is how it will affect those with temp visas pending approval vs those who have not started.

Any views?

Twinset
Old Oct 27th 2008, 10:57 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

And thats exactly the reason I got my citizenship as soon as I could!

Uncertain times for people on those working visas, bad enough to loose your job, but to be kicked out the country at the same time will be a double hit

Originally Posted by JAJ
Old Oct 27th 2008, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=JAJ;6913274]Legally? Short answer is that as a sovereign country, Australia can do pretty much what it likes to change its immigration laws.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

There lies the problem: Get rid off the lazy Ozzies!!!
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:49 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinset
Hi JAJ,

Thought that might be the case......guess the question may be how things are likely to develop and at what pace: again, critical thing is how it will affect those with temp visas pending approval vs those who have not started.

Any views?
Things could change very suddenly. As I said, there are aspects of the rules that the Minister can change directly without reference to anyone.

Anything can happen in sufficiently extreme circumstances, however it is likely that:

- those with applications in the system would be assessed under existing rules
- those who have temporary visas with a clear pathway to permanent residence would probably be allowed to keep their PR opportunity.

The second category does not include those on student visas or 457 visas who might hope to obtain permanent residence at some point.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:50 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by themerlin
And thats exactly the reason I got my citizenship as soon as I could!

Uncertain times for people on those working visas, bad enough to loose your job, but to be kicked out the country at the same time will be a double hit
And some 457 holders may discover that, even if they don't lose their job, it could become a lot harder to get permanent resident status.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.