Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mentone, Cheltenham, Chelsea, Modialloc,good suburds ?

Mentone, Cheltenham, Chelsea, Modialloc,good suburds ?

Old Jun 25th 2005, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

THYE.A. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mentone, Cheltenham, Chelsea, Modialloc,good suburds ?

Hi , i am just wondering whether those suburds are good to live in, in terms of safety, shopping, school, crime rates etc.

I notice these suburds are less than 30 min by train to CBD and are very close to the beach.More importantly the properties prices there are quite similar or may be slightly cheaper than those in Box Hill, Doncaster, Glen Waverly etc.
Old Jun 25th 2005, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

cypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: Mentone, Cheltenham, Chelsea, Modialloc,good suburds ?

Originally Posted by THYE.A.
Hi , i am just wondering whether those suburds are good to live in, in terms of safety, shopping, school, crime rates etc.

I notice these suburds are less than 30 min by train to CBD and are very close to the beach.More importantly the properties prices there are quite similar or may be slightly cheaper than those in Box Hill, Doncaster, Glen Waverly etc.
Won't have any problems with those suburbs fella..... very sought after... I'm going for Mornington myself... just far enough out of it so it don't feel like the city.. Ocean everywhere... SPACE ... The panacea of what I'm looking for.
Old Jun 26th 2005, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice
Default Re: Mentone, Cheltenham, Chelsea, Modialloc,good suburds ?

Agreed. You should be fine. Also, Cheltemham has a huge shopping centre called Southland.
Old Jun 26th 2005, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We are renting a house in Mentone, which is a very nice area, with good schools and near to beach, shopping and train station. The property prices are higher depending on how near to the beach the property is. The Nepean Highway divides these areas down the middle and prices on the beach side of the highway are much higher. The other side of the highway is cheaper but most times you need to get on or across the highway to the station, schools etc and in my opinion - its a pain. Having said that we are looking at properties further inland as we cant afford to buy a house on the beach side.

Mel
Old Jun 26th 2005, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

THYE.A. is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi , thanks for those who reply.

At first I thought Frankston is good ( with beach, good school and affordable housing ) but just that it is a bit far.However, there are some who think Frankston should be stayed away from.

Now it seems that suburds like Chelsea, Mentone etc are good alternatives.
Old Jun 26th 2005, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Hi there. We went to visit my sister-in-law who lives in Cheltenham and have decided that we will be settling in the Cheltenham/Mentone area. House prices have settled down a lot now, the area is very safe, schools good, great beaches, even better shopping and it is very commutable to the CBD.

I just wish we were leaving tomorrow.
Old Jun 26th 2005, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

Yes, with Frankston distance is the issue - 1 hour to CBD by train or car. Central Frankston is not so good, hence the reputation. Frankston South is actually very nice.

Neil
Old Jun 26th 2005, 11:08 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wongstonn
Central Frankston is not so good, hence the reputation. Frankston South is actually very nice.

Neil
Yep, i'll second that

All the areas you mention are nice but as Meli said, can be quite pricey