Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Western Babysitting group

Melbourne Western Babysitting group

Old Aug 5th 2008, 10:17 am
Just Joined

the aston family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Melbourne Western Babysitting group

Hi I'm Julie. We have two lovely kids aged 5 and 23 months. Since being here for the past 7 months, I have realised how hard it is to get a chance to get out without paying throught the nose.

I have been reading about the babysitting groups that go on in England. Over here when we are away from our usual family groups we don't have the support network to help out when you need the kids looked after. It is strange to realise how much you would normally rely on friends and family. Therefore, I would like to start one over here in the Western Suburbs.

It would be run on the points sysytem mentioned elsewhere, so there wouldn't be any cost involved. This would mean it could be a chance to get out and catch a movie or a nice meal without having to ask about kids menus, high chairs etc. But could even extended to just an hour or two in the afternoon to get some shopping or get your hair done.

I do not mind being the one who keeps the book with peolpes names in it and making sure every one is pulling their weight.

The area I would be prepared to could cover would be:-
Altona
Burnside
Caroline Springs
Deer Park
Footscary
Hoppers Crossing
Laverton
Melton
Point cook/Sanctury Lakes
Sunshine
Sydenham
Tarniet
Taylors Lakes
Werribee
Williamstown,

I know that most people would want to get to know each other before starting it up, so I think that is a good idea to meet up with all the people who would like to join in with us.

Let's meet up at Cherry Lake reserve in Altona (Melways 54 J9) as this would be pretty central to the group, on Sunday 17th August at 1300hrs
Reply and PM to me so we can draw up a list to see who is interested, and if you have anything you would like to add.

This will take a bit of give and take from everyone involved, as sometimes, you may need to travel further than the usual 5 miles that most British groups would be used to. I would try to get people to cover their local areas.

This ultimately will become a social group of friends, Hopefully, we will be able to organise get togethers, Barbies, trips to the beach etc. This way we can get to know one another, and be happy knowning that our kids are in safe hands.

All the best, Julie
Old Aug 5th 2008, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Melbourne Western Babysitting group

Well done for taking the initiative insetting up a babysitting group. I was lucky enough to join an existing group on arrival in Sydney (and have to say I did this before even joining a health care fund and registering the car.Its called looking after ones mental health!) We cover a fairly large area and it works very well on a points for sitting system. Most of the members get on well and it has become a support for many families here without the extended family and friend network. Good Luck with setting up your new group. I also ran one in England for many years and when our brood were smaller it was my lifeline!
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

KoalaCaroline is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Melbourne Western Babysitting group

Hi,

I know I may be jumping the gun abit as we havent even got to Melbourne yet. But wanted to say I think this is a great idea. We are hoping to move to either Point Cook/Sanc Lakes or Mornington. If we do settle for Points Cook area I would definately be interested in helping in this group.

We are coming over to Melbourne next March for rekkie, then will have to start the 457 sponsored visa, so it could take a while to get up and running out there. But definately from UK I am very interested and just imagine me at your first meeting in August!!!

Keep in touch to let me know how its going, so if and when we get there (point cook) I can hopefully meet you all.

Great idea.

Caroline xx
Old Oct 13th 2008, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Gina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we are currently in UK but are applying for 457 visa at the moment, will be in Melbourne by December/January at the latest. We are looking at moving to Sanctuary lakes/Point cook, and would love to be part of this group if we may.
We have two girls, eldest will be 3 in Feb, and youngest was born only 7 weeks ago! (new born baby and emmigrating to Aus = stress!!!! ha ha)

Thanks

Gina
Old Oct 14th 2008, 2:34 am
Just Joined

the aston family is an unknown quantity at this point

The baby sitting group is up and running in the west of the city. If there are any families in the west who would like to join just email me your details. I need your name the kids names ages mobile number telephone number and a address.
We are having are first meet up on sat 25th of oct. This is a way the families can meet each other this time we are having a bbq so peolpe can talk about what they want in the group.

My email address is [email protected]

Hope to hear from some families soon

All the best Julie