Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Validation trip

Melbourne Validation trip

Old Apr 18th 2005, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

parkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of light
Default Melbourne Validation trip

Hello Everyone
We have just returned from our validation trip to Melbourne. We stayed with our relatives who live in Frankston. it is our intention to finally settle in the mornington peninsula area when we can eventually sell our house!!

We had a great time, went to the Grampians and did lots of walking. We stayed in Halls Gap for a week and the kids absolutely loved it. Outside our cabin there were heaps of kangaroos everywhere, which was fantastic. We had lots of BBQs and fortunately the weather was very kind to us considering it is autumn at the moment.

We went visiting lots of other places, Sorrento, Daylesford, Korrubin? and the Dandenongs which we love.

Whilst we were there Bronwyn my eldest age 7 went to visit the school which she has a place at. she spent a few hours there and loved it so much she wanted to go again. This was great for us as it gave us real peace of mind. Eryn our 3 year old also went into kinder and she too loved it so we know things will be ok with them.

We looked at houses in Langwarrin, South Frankston and also Mount Eliza they are all very nice places but you seem to get a lot more for your money in langwarrin. We looked at a property with 4 bedrooms, utility, rumpus, lounge and dining area. It also had another house on the property with 2 bedrooms suitable for family etc. it had 2 and a half acres on a battleaxe plot fantastic and all for 550k. it was expensive and would be all of our money but it made us realise what we could get.

Practically we signed up for a commonwealth bank account. I know that they probably are not the best but for now it will be ok. We now have some details to send onto hifx for when we complete our exchange.

As for our return to the uk we are feeling down and despondent as there was no real news on our house and have now reduced it by a further 10k. we really are at our limit now and feel that if it doesnt go now we will have to stay here for a bit longer and take the house off the market until it picks up again. At least we have validated so we can sit tight if necessary.

Anyway had a great time and cant wait to get back. having been again after 2 years has enabled me to feel more confident about the move. Everyone at work knows how i feel and its all out in the open which is good. i feel i can talk about it without feeling that i am letting anyone down.

Cant wait to go now....I just wish i could sell my house. Decided to be proactive and have given the agents notice today and have decided on a new agent in a fortnight. At least i will feel back in control again.
Irene
Old Apr 18th 2005, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

moomin has a spectacular aura aboutmoomin has a spectacular aura aboutmoomin has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Melbourne Validation trip

can't believe i typed in 'melbourne validation trip' in search and you had just posted this!! - psychic : )

glad to hear you had such a great time, i hope to visit for 3 weeks over christmas this year for a look around, as we hope to ultimately move to melbourne maybe next year, visa permitting.

have taken note of the areas you mention, together with the cabin in halls gap! - all sounds lovely, did you book that online prior to going? we have no family/friends and therefore i will need to plan accomodation for the whole stay.

maxine
Old Apr 18th 2005, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

parkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of light

Hello
We hadnt made any arrangements prior to going. When we got there it was a question of what we wanted to do, as this was our third trip.

I wanted the girls to see the kangaroos and also wanted some peace and quiet. Halls gap is a wonderful place. we had lots of walks to spectacular view sites etc, it really is a truly wonderful area. Just what the doctor ordered when you are trying to sell a house. It enabled us to get a real sense of lifestyle, ie the walking, wildlife and just the sitting out on a verandah each day just letting the day drift by. Fantastic!! rich has asked me to mention the beer too! of course it just seems to taste so much better when you are sitting out in the sunshine. The free gas bbqs everywhere just are great. we regularly just bought a bag of sausages and a loaf of bread and just had that when we were out. the girls loved it and for us it was cheap takeaway!

Were hoping that we will be out there by the end of the year but who knows? our house sale has fallen though twice now due to chains breaking down so it is a bit disheartening.

glad my thread has helped.
irene
Old Apr 18th 2005, 6:42 pm
Visa Granted-MT Eliza 06

gladiatorjw will become famous soon enough

Hi, we are also just back from our validation trip to Melbourne and we are also looking at staying in the areas you mentioned. We loved it over there and my boys (13yrs and 10yrs) also loved the lifestyle, schools etc. They even bought a "footie" and have started getting a load of kids together back here in the UK and playing it. Not sure if they know the rules but it looks good. We met another couple at the ex-pat meeting from Bracknell also going to Mornington areas so we all live close by here in the UK. Also thanks to Fred the red, laura lollypop,bordy and Andy for all the advice etc at the Mornington meet.

We stayed in Geelong but used the ferry a few times from Queenscliff to Sorrento and much preferred Mornington, Mt Eliza areas. Where are you in Hampshire? Feel free to get in touch via e-mail or private message etc and we could share information etc or meet up.

Cheers
Jim and Judy

Originally Posted by parkhigh
Hello Everyone
We have just returned from our validation trip to Melbourne. We stayed with our relatives who live in Frankston. it is our intention to finally settle in the mornington peninsula area when we can eventually sell our house!!

We had a great time, went to the Grampians and did lots of walking. We stayed in Halls Gap for a week and the kids absolutely loved it. Outside our cabin there were heaps of kangaroos everywhere, which was fantastic. We had lots of BBQs and fortunately the weather was very kind to us considering it is autumn at the moment.

We went visiting lots of other places, Sorrento, Daylesford, Korrubin? and the Dandenongs which we love.

Whilst we were there Bronwyn my eldest age 7 went to visit the school which she has a place at. she spent a few hours there and loved it so much she wanted to go again. This was great for us as it gave us real peace of mind. Eryn our 3 year old also went into kinder and she too loved it so we know things will be ok with them.

We looked at houses in Langwarrin, South Frankston and also Mount Eliza they are all very nice places but you seem to get a lot more for your money in langwarrin. We looked at a property with 4 bedrooms, utility, rumpus, lounge and dining area. It also had another house on the property with 2 bedrooms suitable for family etc. it had 2 and a half acres on a battleaxe plot fantastic and all for 550k. it was expensive and would be all of our money but it made us realise what we could get.

Practically we signed up for a commonwealth bank account. I know that they probably are not the best but for now it will be ok. We now have some details to send onto hifx for when we complete our exchange.

As for our return to the uk we are feeling down and despondent as there was no real news on our house and have now reduced it by a further 10k. we really are at our limit now and feel that if it doesnt go now we will have to stay here for a bit longer and take the house off the market until it picks up again. At least we have validated so we can sit tight if necessary.

Anyway had a great time and cant wait to get back. having been again after 2 years has enabled me to feel more confident about the move. Everyone at work knows how i feel and its all out in the open which is good. i feel i can talk about it without feeling that i am letting anyone down.

Cant wait to go now....I just wish i could sell my house. Decided to be proactive and have given the agents notice today and have decided on a new agent in a fortnight. At least i will feel back in control again.
Irene
Old Apr 18th 2005, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hello Jim and Judy
Thanks for the reply We are in Old Basing, just outside Basingstoke so not far at all from you.
When do you intend to go over permeantly? and have you a house to sell? Our house sale is proving to be a nightmare at the moment. yes it would be good to meet up and to keep in touch . Who knows we may even be neighbours in oz?
Irene
Old Apr 18th 2005, 7:24 pm
Visa Granted-MT Eliza 06

gladiatorjw will become famous soon enough

Hi Irene

No you are not too far away at all. We are still not too sure but want the move sooner rather than later. Yes we have a house to sell and the houses do go quick where we are so touch wood, we will sell quickly. Hope you have better luck with your house sale. Let us know when you are free and we can meet up at a pub/park/our house, wherever. Do you have any family in OZ at all? What do you and hubby do for a living? I am an Engineer and was STNI with Vic. Judy works at a school in the Special needs department.
Take care and Good luck.

Jim and Judy
Thanks for the reply We are in Old Basing, just outside Basingstoke so not far at all from you.
When do you intend to go over permeantly? and have you a house to sell? Our house sale is proving to be a nightmare at the moment. yes it would be good to meet up and to keep in touch . Who knows we may even be neighbours in oz?
Irene
[/QUOTE]
Old Apr 18th 2005, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi
I am a nurse and my husband is in sales he works in reading.
We both have family in oz. my family are in melbourne (Frankston) and richs family are in adelaide.

with regard to yr house sale, if i could do it all again i would sale before i decided to go and then if it went then rent in the uk. the interest on the house would pay the rent etc. it is extremely frustrating to have to wait when you finally decide that you want to go.

would be happy to meet up some time in the future got a lot going on as we have only just got back but please keep in touch. maybe we will have to organise a local meet as i know that there is another couple in bordon who i have chatted to on here as well.
take care
irene
Old Apr 18th 2005, 7:50 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Was good to meet you guys at the Mornington Meet Jim & Judy, I hope the rest of your trip went well.

I hope your house sells pretty quick Irene & you can get on with your plans. Look forward to seeing you all at another meet up at the free BBQs in Melbourne in the future.

Bill.