Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne tap water

Melbourne tap water

Old Nov 24th 2005, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne tap water

Perhaps worth adding that there is compulsory fluoridisation of the water supply in Melbourne. The Vic Govt decided a long time ago if the teeth of children in particular were decaying then they would add fluoride to the water supply (not sure if this extends to other than Melbourne mains?) Quite a lot of objections at the time, the government's response to people saying they would volunteer to administer fluoride tablets to their children was that not enough people would, people forget etc so an Act of Parliament was passed to permit this.

OzTennis
Old Nov 26th 2005, 12:17 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DJMA
Melbourne tap water is drinkable, but not the best tasting. It is slightly improved chilled. We are going to start filtering ours to see if that improves the taste.

Agreed. Although the from the water bills we get they charge like it's the most exclusive in the world (parks charges etc ). I find that if the tap water is filtered and refridgerated it does improve the taste (sitting here with a pint of it now!). In England I lived in NW surrey and the tap water there was fine though. I've also lived in country Victoria where the water was pumped from the Mithell River and the water was good. I have stayed at a few friends & relatives places in Sydney too and would rate the tap water there and if compared with Melbourne, the Sydney tap water was slightly better.
Old Nov 26th 2005, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

MrsMangle will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Perhaps worth adding that there is compulsory fluoridisation of the water supply in Melbourne. The Vic Govt decided a long time ago if the teeth of children in particular were decaying then they would add fluoride to the water supply (not sure if this extends to other than Melbourne mains?) Quite a lot of objections at the time, the government's response to people saying they would volunteer to administer fluoride tablets to their children was that not enough people would, people forget etc so an Act of Parliament was passed to permit this.

OzTennis
I think all the state capitals have flouridated water (except Brissie) supplys to other parts of Vic do also have flouridation, but it's patchy... in some places there is naturally a supply in the local water of course.
In Aussie, you might need to get used to hot tap water coming out the cold tap on hot days...yeuch!
Old Nov 26th 2005, 11:56 am
Don't use It's green card

baconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
My wife, Mrs Buzzy, would like to know - what does the Melbourne tap water taste like and is it drinkable?

I guess particularly in the Mornington Peninsula area?

Can anyone answer her question?

Thanks

Buzzy
could this be the decline of the civilised nations when someone asks over the internet to describe the taste of tap water ? Is anyone else as worried as me?
If you haven't emmigrated already, I would suggest stay put where you are or more to the rural extremes of England or Scotland (NOT WALES!!!) where you will be able to source the freshest water.

Last edited by baconmaster; Nov 26th 2005 at 12:32 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:00 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by OzTennis

OzTennis
Wasn't fluoridation the final commie straw that sent the American General over the edge in Dr Strange Love?

Bye
Mark
Old Nov 28th 2005, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
My wife, Mrs Buzzy, would like to know - what does the Melbourne tap water taste like and is it drinkable?

I guess particularly in the Mornington Peninsula area?

Can anyone answer her question?

Thanks

Buzzy

Tasted just like water to me!!!! Was drinkable and compared well to water in North Yorskhire. I'm no water expert though only drink it don't really bother swilling it about n spitting it out unless I'm brushing my teeth
Old Nov 29th 2005, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

MrsMangle will become famous soon enough

Mrs Buzzy should forget the tap water - and head for the winerys!!
Old Nov 29th 2005, 12:33 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne tap water

Originally Posted by MrsMangle
Mrs Buzzy should forget the tap water - and head for the winerys!!
That's Mr Buzzy's job!
Old Nov 29th 2005, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

londonjas is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

I have just returned from a two week reccy in Melbourne and the tap water tasted like pond water. Drinkable though......

Jason