Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wife's not sure now

Wife's not sure now

Old Nov 28th 2005, 3:21 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wife's not sure now

Hi all.

It's strangely coincidental that so many postings concerning immigration blues and the desire to return to the UK coincide with our recent validation trip to Sydney and my wife's growing anxieties and indecision about emmigrating next summer.

Before the romantic notion became reality and we were issued with our 136 visas, my wife was 100% about moving to Australia.

With each new phase that re-inforces the reality of what we are doing (the validation trip being the most recent) my wife is growing increasingly doubtful about actually going through with it next year and moving for good. This is really depressing me as since we returned to the UK last week I have never been surer about going through with the move. Compounding the issue now is a mother-in-law, her grandmother and now her sister saying things like "Don't go, I'll really miss you", "When your Uncle moved to Australia it nearly killed me and there's not a day that goes by when I don't think about him" and "Mum is putting on a brave face coz inside it's killing her", respectively.

It is interesting to see however that the grass may appear greener but is not necessarily so. My personal opinion is that culture-shock can heavily suppress thoughts and sentiments regarding the original reasons behind the original decision. I spoke to a few people when we were in Sydney who emigrated from the UK in the late 70's and early 80's and they all said the same thing. The first few years and months are like a period of mourning and the desire to return to their comfort zones and familarities in the UK can be unrelentingly overwhelming. However, their practical advice was to see it through because once you emerge from the haze of confusion and apparent unhappines it becomes obvious why you moved in the first place. Bottom line is the long-term investment is definitely worth it.

I think that I am lucky enough to have the foresight to realise that the first few months and perhaps years will be an unsettling time and that we will both, more than likely, feel like returning to the UK at some point or another but that this would be sheer folly, given the time, money and effort invested in getting out to Australia in the first place (not to mention original reasons).

What I really need now is for my wife to be able to appreciate these facts from my perspective. She want's to go but the reality really scares her. We also have a 7 month baby boy (who incidentally slept all the way from LHR to HKG and then HKG to SYD and did the same on the way back - and all this without the use of choloroform) who I personally think would be far better off living in Australia than in the UK. Whatever people's comments on comparing the behaviour of children and adolescents in Australia with those in the UK, lest we forget that the UK spawned the acronym A.S.B.O. for a good reason.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

it_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to all
Default Re: Wife's not sure now

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Hi all.

It's strangely coincidental that so many postings concerning immigration blues and the desire to return to the UK coincide with our recent validation trip to Sydney and my wife's growing anxieties and indecision about emmigrating next summer.

If you find an answer then give me a shout cos my wife's feeling the same - the closer we get the less she wants to go!
Old Nov 28th 2005, 3:26 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by it_hooker
If you find an answer then give me a shout cos my wife's feeling the same - the closer we get the less she wants to go!
Sucks like a hoover dunnit??
Old Nov 28th 2005, 3:27 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Wife's not sure now

Hi all.

Before the romantic notion became reality and we were issued with our 136 visas, my wife was 100% about moving to Australia.

With each new phase that re-inforces the reality of what we are doing (the validation trip being the most recent) my wife is growing increasingly doubtful about actually going through with it next year and moving for good. This is really depressing me as since we returned to the UK last week I have never been surer about going through with the move. Compounding the issue now is a mother-in-law, her grandmother and now her sister saying things like "Don't go, I'll really miss you", "When your Uncle moved to Australia it nearly killed me and there's not a day that goes by when I don't think about him" and "Mum is putting on a brave face coz inside it's killing her", respectively.

It is interesting to see however that the grass may appear greener but is not necessarily so. My personal opinion is that culture-shock can heavily suppress thoughts and sentiments regarding the original reasons behind the original decision. I spoke to a few people when we were in Sydney who emigrated from the UK in the late 70's and early 80's and they all said the same thing. The first few years and months are like a period of mourning and the desire to return to their comfort zones and familarities in the UK can be unrelentingly overwhelming. However, their practical advice was to see it through because once you emerge from the haze of confusion and apparent unhappines it becomes obvious why you moved in the first place. Bottom line is the long-term investment is definitely worth it.

I think that I am lucky enough to have the foresight to realise that the first few months and perhaps years will be an unsettling time and that we will both, more than likely, feel like returning to the UK at some point or another but that this would be sheer folly, given the time, money and effort invested in getting out to Australia in the first place (not to mention original reasons).

What I really need now is for my wife to be able to appreciate these facts from my perspective. She want's to go but the reality really scares her. We also have a 7 month baby boy (who incidentally slept all the way from LHR to HKG and then HKG to SYD and did the same on the way back - and all this without the use of choloroform) who I personally think would be far better off living in Australia than in the UK. Whatever people's comments on comparing the behaviour of children and adolescents in Australia with those in the UK, lest we forget that the UK spawned the acronym A.S.B.O. for a good reason.
Very thoughtful and well-written post; karma sent.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 3:28 pm
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

Hi all.

Its called the 'grass is greener' phenomena-it was all great till you got the visa and then it didnt seem all that good-merely because you had it.
Let me predict-you wont like Australia and will bag it-and accuse it of having no culcha.
As for ASBO's, no country can take the place of good parenting (admitedly I failed-but did try). Your childs future is in your hands in either place.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

it_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to all

Sucks like a hoover dunnit??
It certainly does - although she has said that she will "try it". I notice you're just down the road from us as well - I'm in Swindon and we're planning to go to Sydney next Spring/Summer 'nall. Must be something in the water!
Old Nov 28th 2005, 3:35 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by Breezey
Its called the 'grass is greener' phenomena-it was all great till you got the visa and then it didnt seem all that good-merely because you had it.
Let me predict-you wont like Australia and will bag it-and accuse it of having no culcha.
As for ASBO's, no country can take the place of good parenting (admitedly I failed-but did try). Your childs future is in your hands in either place.
Well, my honest opinion on culcha is that it is not defined by one country and that you are obliged to take it as you find it in the host country. Anyone who can understand this principle shouldn't really need to adapt. If I wanted to walk along a British street abroad I would have opted for moving to Magaluf (never again dear God!!).

I think that a child's environment plays a big role in their nurturing and development. The parent is ultimately responsible but is also aided (to a greater or lesser extent) by external influencing factors. I feel that this is inextricable from the development of the child.

Last edited by DunRoaminTheUK; Nov 28th 2005 at 3:38 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 3:35 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all.

Can empathize with you here, I imagine you have to be metally prepared to play the long ball game....ie benfits after 18 month settling in period.
Goodpost though..

Dave
Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:14 pm
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Hi all.

You just said it, THE most important reason for leaving the UK for OZ.....your 7 month old baby boy!
Heck, give the wee lad a fighting chance at happiness, take him to OZ!!

We should also remember that ASBO is now a medallion to be worn with pride amongst certain communities!
Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:17 pm
Account Closed

Guest0424 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
You just said it, THE most important reason for leaving the UK for OZ.....your 7 month old baby boy!

We should also remember that ASBO is now a medallion to be worn with pride amongst certain communities!
well said
Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

Oh, just had a thought that may also aid your ultimate decision; 1 in 5 teenage girls in the UK is now self harming. A 1/3rd have comtemplated suicide.

Interesting statistics and not to be scoffed at.........without checking, I would be confident that the figures would be no where near as alarming in Australia!

Myself and Caz have deliberatley delayed having children, (as much as we want them) for precisely these kind of reasons!

Sterilise the buggers, that's what I say!
Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:19 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Apparently, Jeremy Clarkson thinks that "ASBO" is a fitting cultural and iconic name for the new Ford Focus hot-hatch he reviewed last night. Couldn't agree more.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:24 pm
Banned

Breezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to allBreezey is a name known to all

Well, my honest opinion on culcha is that it is not defined by one country and that you are obliged to take it as you find it in the host country. Anyone who can understand this principle shouldn't really need to adapt. If I wanted to walk along a British street abroad I would have opted for moving to Magaluf (never again dear God!!).

I think that a child's environment plays a big role in their nurturing and development. The parent is ultimately responsible but is also aided (to a greater or lesser extent) by external influencing factors. I feel that this is inextricable from the development of the child.
Your first point is very true. Culcha isnt relative to another place. However in the case of Australia I can see why some might want to believe it is.
Our society derives almost lock, stock and barrel from yours(As Vash has pointed out) and therefore I believe we should at least cop the criticism in good faith.
A good suburb in the UK is better than a bad one in Oz. And heres the catch-most suburbs in Oz are bad in my view. And the ones that arent are amazingly pricey.
Small Australian towns don't equate to Charming Surrey or Kent villages-they are as rough as guts.

Last edited by Breezey; Nov 28th 2005 at 4:29 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:28 pm
Account Closed

Apparently, Jeremy Clarkson thinks that "ASBO" is a fitting cultural and iconic name for the new Ford Focus hot-hatch he reviewed last night. Couldn't agree more.
Jeremey Clarkson....tut...

Apologies OP for the deviation, but did anyone read his piece on the new Bugatti Veyron in, The Sunday Times?

I quote, "I cannot tell you how good this car
is. I don't have the vocabulary. I just
end up stammering and dribbling
"

I love that man!! (and YES, I like WOMEN more!!)

Old Nov 28th 2005, 4:33 pm
Banned

Oh, just had a thought that may also aid your ultimate decision; 1 in 5 teenage girls in the UK is now self harming. A 1/3rd have comtemplated suicide.

Interesting statistics and not to be scoffed at.........without checking, I would be confident that the figures would be no where near as alarming in Australia!

Myself and Caz have deliberatley delayed having children, (as much as we want them) for precisely these kind of reasons!

Sterilise the buggers, that's what I say!
The power of self-delusion, going from Guilford to Perth for a better life. Guilford a truly charming, cultured, town to Redneck-central Perth where kids sniff glue for fun and are bored sh-tless.
You will be back!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.