Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

melbourne and surrounding areas.

melbourne and surrounding areas.

Old Feb 1st 2010, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

carsick14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default melbourne and surrounding areas.

We are very new to this and are having trouble starting our search for where to live. We have started with Melbourne and surrounding towns. We have 3 children at 1,4 and 6. Obviously the kids are the most important so school and low crime are essential. Helen will need a hospital to work at within 10 miles of home. We think a budget of 450000 dollars is a good place to start for the house.

Can anybody suggest somewhere ?

Also, any advice on anything regarding moving to Australia will be gratefully received. We are realising this a very daunting thing to do.

Thanks.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

snurse42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: melbourne and surrounding areas.

Hi, I was just wondering when you were looking at going. We have just been offered a contract in Melbourne and it looks like we will be going at Easter. We are going on a 457 so we will be renting. Good luck!
Old Feb 1st 2010, 6:16 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Does your $450k include buying costs ie Stamp Duty or is it purchase price only?

Note the median house price is over $500k in Melbourne you may need to think about size of house v location.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

The Melbourne area is a huge area and you can live a hundred kilometres from one side to the other. Therefore you need to choose where you wish to work and then work from there.

The closer you get to the City itself the more expensive the houses, to get a house in your range you would need to live about an hour commute from the city and probably only in some areas.

Have a look at the health website this has careers and also gives you the different district health divisions. http://www.health.vic.gov.au/doh, then have a look at Realestate.com.au for areas within the divisions and this will give you an idea of costs.

Have a look at the http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/ which is the guide to public transport and will give you all the train lines, tram lines, bus routes etc. You can follow them out from the city.

Also have a look at google world which will give you an idea of what the areas look like.

Outer areas with hospitals, Geelong which is a city itself, Dandenong has a hospital which you could commute to from Narre Warren and Berwick, Berwick has a hospital, Maroondah Hospital in the leafy part of Melbourne, Frankston has a large hospital near to the beach and Mornington which is popular with Brits. Hospital is being extended all the time. Monash Medical Centre large hospital which is commutable from outer areas in the south. Austin Hospital which is also commutable from areas in the north.

Good luck
Old Feb 1st 2010, 7:14 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by carsick14
We are very new to this and are having trouble starting our search for where to live. We have started with Melbourne and surrounding towns. We have 3 children at 1,4 and 6. Obviously the kids are the most important so school and low crime are essential. Helen will need a hospital to work at within 10 miles of home. We think a budget of 450000 dollars is a good place to start for the house.

Also, any advice on anything regarding moving to Australia will be gratefully received. We are realising this a very daunting thing to do.

Thanks.
$450,000 would be good for somewhere like Adelaide but in Melbounre getting a family sized house in a nice area would be difficult anywhere near the city. But l don't live in Melbourne so l'm not certain. From what l read melbourne house prices have been skyrocketing in recent years more then most other cities, theres no recession in OZ like the UK and theres been plenty of wealthy Chinese investors buying up Melbounre Real estate in the nicer areas driving up prices.. You may have to look at somewhere 1 hour out of Melbounre like Geelong or the Dandenlongs.

Last edited by mohogony; Feb 1st 2010 at 7:24 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will have plenty of options at that price, or just a bit more.

In the West there are many areas that you could still get large (3/4 bed) houses for that price. Point Cook (best option) , Werribee, Truganina, Tarneit etc all have new housing developments. Then for hospitals close-by there is Werribee, Sunshine and Footscray. (Sunshine & Footscray are large with both public/private facilities)

Then in the North around Greensborough, Watsonia etc you are close to a couple of large hospitals. (Austin?)

All the above are 20-45 mins commute from the city depending on time of day/traffic.

There will be loads more places as well, I just don't know about them, such as around Taylors Lakes, Caroline Springs etc.

We live in Point Cook and I'm not even sure crime exists here, it's very safe, but then i think most of Melbourne is anyway. There is an excellent primary school (Seabrook) which is better than many private schools and substantially above average according to the new Myschool site. Only downside here is that you'd probably need to go private for secondary school. the suburb isn't for everyone, but then at $450K you aren't going to be buying in a leafy well established suburb anyway.

Last edited by sr71; Feb 1st 2010 at 8:56 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

carsick14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your replies. Looks like this forum will be a valuable tool.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 7:04 am
Just Joined

zoehammett is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sr71
I think you will have plenty of options at that price, or just a bit more.

In the West there are many areas that you could still get large (3/4 bed) houses for that price. Point Cook (best option) , Werribee, Truganina, Tarneit etc all have new housing developments. Then for hospitals close-by there is Werribee, Sunshine and Footscray. (Sunshine & Footscray are large with both public/private facilities)

Then in the North around Greensborough, Watsonia etc you are close to a couple of large hospitals. (Austin?)

All the above are 20-45 mins commute from the city depending on time of day/traffic.

There will be loads more places as well, I just don't know about them, such as around Taylors Lakes, Caroline Springs etc.

We live in Point Cook and I'm not even sure crime exists here, it's very safe, but then i think most of Melbourne is anyway. There is an excellent primary school (Seabrook) which is better than many private schools and substantially above average according to the new Myschool site. Only downside here is that you'd probably need to go private for secondary school. the suburb isn't for everyone, but then at $450K you aren't going to be buying in a leafy well established suburb anyway.
Hi there,
We have been living in the north west suburbs of Sydney for the past 18 months and are relocating with my OH's job to Melbourne in a month's time. We have been looking at inner northern suburbs as this is where OH's rep job will be. Can you advise if there's anywhere about 30/40 mins from this area that would be good for a bit more space and value for money rental? I have two children aged 4 & 2 so will need to look at reasonably nice areas to feel safe about sending them to preschools!
Old Feb 10th 2010, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

2plus3 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by carsick14

Thanks.
Popped in to say 'Hi', welcome to the forum.

We're hoping to head to Melbourne sometime this year ourselves; we have three children but they are a little older than yours at 18, 13 and 9.

We are looking at the South East and some of the houses in the more rural areas are coming in at your kind of budget - if you look on Realestate.com.au you will get a good idea of where your money can take you.

All the best.

Kari & Family x
Old Feb 11th 2010, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by zoehammett
Hi there,
We have been living in the north west suburbs of Sydney for the past 18 months and are relocating with my OH's job to Melbourne in a month's time. We have been looking at inner northern suburbs as this is where OH's rep job will be. Can you advise if there's anywhere about 30/40 mins from this area that would be good for a bit more space and value for money rental? I have two children aged 4 & 2 so will need to look at reasonably nice areas to feel safe about sending them to preschools!
Epping.... I have been here for 5 years although I am not a rep I do need to travel to customer sites and it's excellently placed for that
Epping plaza, Mill Park shopping centres for me are an easy stroll, train station too.
I can't help with schools as both my little angels are over 21 now ( see, it does get easier )