Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne suburbs Fitzroy and Collingwood

Melbourne suburbs Fitzroy and Collingwood

Old Aug 2nd 2007, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Melbourne suburbs Fitzroy and Collingwood

Hey

finally got my visa through so looking for a suburb to live in near the hospital i will work at.

Does anyone know what Melbourne or Fitzroy is like, a friend in Oz said its a bit dodgy but she lives a sheltered life hehe.

really looking around the areas close to the CBD and St Vincents hospital.

Any advice from the people in the know would be great .

Oh and good luck to everyone waiting for the 457 visa.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 9:51 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne suburbs Fitzroy and Collingwood

Yeah, Collingwood and Fitzroy have the reputation of being a bit rough, but then they are really happening places. Carlton is getting better, apparently, and Richmond is not too far away.

If you're working at Vinnies, then you're a 5 minute walk from Parliament station which means you could live further out and commute to work without difficulty.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

BullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud of

Collingwood? Fitzroy? - I've lived in both of them and love them both.

Collingwood is slightly further out from the CBD, probably an extra 2 minutes walk when going the Fitz in Brunswick Street for breakfast, or walking to work in the CBD, or indeed to Vinnies. However, for proximity to life, especially nightlife, both are excellent.

If you are between adulthood and old age, with a penchant for living and have no children, these are great places to be. I would not even remotely contemplate it however if you're a "family" person.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

yeah i liked collingwood, stayed at a very dodgy pub called the laird for a week, that was an eye opener. Walked back to my place a few times well late and had no grief. Also saw some fairly nice houses and streets.

Cant be as bad as lower hutt in new zealand!!!!
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 12:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BullcreekBob
Collingwood? Fitzroy? - I've lived in both of them and love them both.

Collingwood is slightly further out from the CBD, probably an extra 2 minutes walk when going the Fitz in Brunswick Street for breakfast, or walking to work in the CBD, or indeed to Vinnies. However, for proximity to life, especially nightlife, both are excellent.

If you are between adulthood and old age, with a penchant for living and have no children, these are great places to be. I would not even remotely contemplate it however if you're a "family" person.
They are being bought up by couples- and some have babies.