Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sorry folks - but I'm back!

Sorry folks - but I'm back!

Old Aug 3rd 2007, 11:10 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sorry folks - but I'm back!

Three weeks ago I moved house and found that the new address didn't support broadband, despite only being just up the road from our old rental and using the same phone number. So I said goodbye to all. (Did I hear "good riddance"?....)

Well, here I am - and on broadband.

I would like to tell you how and why, for two reasons. Firstly, to show how deceiptful Australian companies can be and secondly to let people know one way to get connected.

I asked my "old" ISP to transfer my account when we moved (remember, same phone number) and after a few days got back the information that Telstra said the line didn't support ADSL. I looked around at wireless but the reception here is not good, apparently. So I resigned myself to going back to dial-up.

Just on a whim I asked on the Whirlpool forum - which deals with all things internet provider-wise - if anyonehad any ideas. Some kind soul pointed me towards an old thread which told of the way Telstra had been telling porkies about line suitability when *other* ISPs were asked for accounts: saying that the line was unsuitable. Then actually connecting the same person but with Bigpond (Telstra's own ISP). The ACCC had hauled them over the coals about this and had been given the assurance that (a) it was probably a mistake (b) that it would stop and (c) anyone affected would be able to return to their requested ISP without penalty.

So I phoned Telstra and asked for a broadband connection: I was signed up on the spot and after a couple of days had a connection speed three times what I had with my old provider! On a line "unsuitable" for ADSL.

I immediately requested a "churn" to my old provider and on my return from (yet another) hospital stay today am back online as before, old email address and so on.

So, Telstra are completely ignoring the ACCC's investigation and condemnation of two years' ago. Some might call their behaviour sharp practice: I call it fraud.

I intend to take this to the Federal authorities via my Federal MP, but in the meantime - if you are told you are not capable of getting broadband look at this!

http://whirlpool.net.au/article.cfm/1460
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 12:33 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorry folks - but I'm back!

Oh yes, Sometimes think I got done.

ISP says I can't get ADSL, but if I pay telstra $199 they will try to transpose my line. I say I'll think about it, strangly 15 mins later, they ring back as say that I can now get adsl 1 but not 2+ as I'm on a RIM, strangley my road doesn't feature on the rim list, but can't be bothered to argue now and decide to go for it.

Now trying to buy a house, but it is impossible to find out if the house will support adsl or adsl 2 without taking out a contract.. what a stupid system !!!