Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

melbourne suburbs

melbourne suburbs

Old May 26th 2004, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

cooks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default melbourne suburbs

Browse the net every now and then just keeping an eye on houses etc in Melbourne. Was just wondering if any one had a link as to where I can download or view a map of Melbourne showing the various suburbs, not too bothered about street details but just to help me get a rough idea of locations of property.

Thanks.
Old May 26th 2004, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

moomin has a spectacular aura aboutmoomin has a spectacular aura aboutmoomin has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: melbourne suburbs

hi cooks

sounds simple doesn't it! - i had this very same problem. useful advice given to me was to put the place name in google search engine with word MAPS and just see what is thrown up.

some of the real estate sites have a process of narrowing down to locations, you may (or may not) find the following site useful for property/area searching by clicking on map and then narrowing down. gives a bit of a description of some of the wider areas in melbourne too.

www.ljhooker.com

best of luck
max
Old May 26th 2004, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

thanks mate, not exactly what I'm after but at least you can limit the searchs to certain groups of suburbs. Have had a look and not a bad site though so worth having a proper browse!!
Old May 26th 2004, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by cooks
Browse the net every now and then just keeping an eye on houses etc in Melbourne. Was just wondering if any one had a link as to where I can download or view a map of Melbourne showing the various suburbs, not too bothered about street details but just to help me get a rough idea of locations of property.

Thanks.
You can't beat a 'real' map. Me, I use my RACV (Royal Automobile Club of Victoria) Melbourne and Suburbs map that I got for free as a member. If you want to join or buy maps go to http://www.racv.com.au I know this doesn't offer an online solution!

A quick Google search throws up these:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~davebonz/melbmap.html (doesn't mention all suburbs or cover all the metropolitan area but quite good)

http://www3.visitvictoria.com/displa...2E62/vvt.vhtml
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/mapshell.../melbourne.htm (city)
http://goaustralia.about.com/cs/vics.../blmapmel2.htm
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Resources..._Victoria.html (links to 5 maps, don't know if suburbs included)
http://www.aucomp.com.au/ausunder/mel2-75.htm

OzTennis

P.S. My 'real' map is too big to scan but if I had the time I might scan it in parts, post it here and you can piece it together!
Old May 26th 2004, 10:48 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Thanks.
Street-directory is the online version of Melway and I've found it indispensable. (I'm a bit surprised people aren't falling over themselves to recommend it, actually. OzTennis, not your cup of tea then?)
Old May 26th 2004, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

moomin has a spectacular aura aboutmoomin has a spectacular aura aboutmoomin has a spectacular aura about

thanks oztennis, cooks, let me know which one is best, save me the leg work

i want one so that i can get up close and personal with the areas, perhaps where i can even see in some windows.

maxine
Old May 26th 2004, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
Street-directory is the online version of Melway and I've found it indispensable. (I'm a bit surprised people aren't falling over themselves to recommend it, actually. OzTennis, not your cup of tea then?)
No, I actually don't need a map to tell me where most Melbourne suburbs are but if I do need to refer to a map it's my 'real' one.

I'll use a Melways a lot when I'm there to find a particular street, plan a route, find a tennis club or whatever.

'Top marks' for Street Directory, Mark. Incidentally Mark did you pick up a Williams Real Estate brochure when you were in Williamstown and take the 4 Melways maps out of the middle? (Maps 54, 55 and 56 and 208, the areas they cover)

OzTennis
Old May 26th 2004, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

thanks guys, but think I'm going to have to buy a proper map!!
Old May 26th 2004, 11:06 am
Class 2 Guru

thanks guys, but think I'm going to have to buy a proper map!!
If you can find one to buy in Coventry!
Old May 26th 2004, 11:09 am
Class 2 Guru

Originally posted by OzTennis
'Top marks' for Street Directory, Mark.
I thank you. Coincidentally just got my second star. Only 900 more posts to go!

Incidentally Mark did you pick up a Williams Real Estate brochure when you were in Williamstown and take the 4 Melways maps out of the middle? (Maps 54, 55 and 56 and 208, the areas they cover)

OzTennis
Certainly did. Then left them behind. DUH!!! Oh well, can always print them out (magnified, too, hence easier to read and with more room to scribble on).
Old May 26th 2004, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you can find one to buy in Coventry!
Coventry is on the internet though - surely someone will sell you a map online and post it? I've actually seen Melbourne maps in the likes of Ottakar's in Carlisle and Edinburgh so them, Waterstones, WHSmith etc might be worth a try.

OzTennis
Old May 26th 2004, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I thank you. Coincidentally just got my second star. Only 900 more posts to go!

Certainly did. Then left them behind. DUH!!! Oh well, can always print them out (magnified, too, hence easier to read and with more room to scribble on).
I'm sure the nice people at http://www.williamsre.com.au would post you a brochure if you email them and point out that you want to go on their mailing list and how you are almost certainly going to buy a property in Williamstown and you prefer to loook at the brochure rather than their website.

OzTennis

P.S. I've not got too many to go for my second bouncing kangaroo. I don't think I've got much more posting left in me and wonder how the likes of BondiPom and Pollyana have accumulated their number of posts!
Old May 26th 2004, 11:22 am
Class 2 Guru

Coventry is on the internet though
I'll take your word for that, never been there myself. Ahem. (Actually that's a lie for dramatic effect, I have been there, lovely cathedral.)

actually seen Melbourne maps in the likes of Ottakar's in Carlisle and Edinburgh so them, Waterstones, WHSmith etc might be worth a try.

OzTennis
Oh we've bought touristy Melbourne maps on the high street, certainly, but I don't recall seeing one with all the suburbs marked.
No doubt you can better ones at proper map shops like, er, wotsitsname in London. Stanford's, is it?

Myself I've been unable to find proper topographic Melbourne maps. Ones with contours! Helpful for planning cycle rides. Anyone?
Old May 26th 2004, 11:25 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know of any, but if you like big hills go up the Dandenong tourist road. Was up that way the otherday and two nutters were coming down infront of me at about 70km ph!!:scared:
Old May 26th 2004, 11:26 am
Class 2 Guru

P.S. I've not got too many to go for my second bouncing kangaroo.
Eh? Wassat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.