Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne - St Kilda?

Melbourne - St Kilda?

Old Jul 11th 2005, 1:41 pm
Kidd Family

kiddij will become famous soon enoughkiddij will become famous soon enough
Default Melbourne - St Kilda?

We are just putting the final touches to our recce visit in August. We have three nights in Melbourne and are wondering whether to stay in the city or St Kilda (or any other suggestions you may have - we are looking a 2 bed apartment style accommodation).

Even though we haven't sold our house we are thinking of doing some job hunting and are wondering if St Kilda would be too inconvenient for getting back into the city to see recruiters etc. On that subject can anyone suggest any good recruiters, engineering ones (instrumentation).

We have two little ones 4 and 7 and thought Lunapark would be nice for them.

Thanks all.
Old Jul 11th 2005, 1:45 pm
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Default Re: Melbourne - St Kilda?

Originally Posted by kiddij
We are just putting the final touches to our recce visit in August. We have three nights in Melbourne and are wondering whether to stay in the city or St Kilda (or any other suggestions you may have - we are looking a 2 bed apartment style accommodation).

Even though we haven't sold our house we are thinking of doing some job hunting and are wondering if St Kilda would be too inconvenient for getting back into the city to see recruiters etc. On that subject can anyone suggest any good recruiters, engineering ones (instrumentation).

Thanks all.
Dont worry, St. Kilda is pretty good and is approachable by Trams. Trams dont cost you that much here. It does but its resonable. So you choice of St. Kilda is perfect in terms of accessiblity to the city. It should take 20/30 minutes in Traim but again it depends how far you stay.
Do you have anything in mind for staying? Whats your budget?
Old Jul 11th 2005, 5:40 pm
Jammy Dodger

floss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nice
Talking Re: Melbourne - St Kilda?

We thought along the same lines as you - but can't comment on the sense of it yet, as we are heading that way in early August!!

For what it is worth, we have booked a family room at the Bayside Motel - it seemed quiet, cheap and cheerful, and with children that's all we were after... may be worth a look at www.easystay.com.au/bayside although you may want to wait until we've tried it out first!!!!!
Old Jul 12th 2005, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

St Kilda is great location in terms of restaurants, nightlife, lunapark, beach and accessibility to the city but, at the risk of sounding like a fuddy-duddy, it can get noisy so it does limit the amount of sleep you may get (or at least when we lived there it did) but then given it's winter and you are only there for three nights, it might not be too bad. It's really easy to get to the city from St.Kilda though, loads of trams (no trains though). Quite a few companies and agencies are actually located in St. Kilda road (en-route to the city).

Enjoy your trip
Old Jul 12th 2005, 4:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiddij

Thanks all.
St Kildas alright about half hour from the city, the tram would get pretty boring after a few days tho. One word of warning, dont let the llittle ones play on the beach, when we were down the local paper had printed that 1000 needles had been cleaned up on the beach I can remember it quite clearly our 7 and 11 year olds had walked on it the previous day, thankfully it was cold and we had boots on. Now I appreciate this is not the sort of stuff people want to hear, but frankly if the local paper can print it then I think as you have kids you have a right to know it. Apologies if that offended anyone.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 5:33 am
Just Joined

stiv is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by floss
We thought along the same lines as you - but can't comment on the sense of it yet, as we are heading that way in early August!!

For what it is worth, we have booked a family room at the Bayside Motel - it seemed quiet, cheap and cheerful, and with children that's all we were after... may be worth a look at www.easystay.com.au/bayside although you may want to wait until we've tried it out first!!!!!
I stayed here on my Recce/visa validation trip in April....great position, basic but stylish rooms & a good price. I'm going to book one of their studio apartments for my first month in melbourne when I move early next year at the same price.

St. Kilda can be a little noisy & seedy at times but I love it...if youre looking for somewhere quieter to live but nearby, try Middle Park or Elwood....my property search will be extending to those areas, when I start looking.

As for travelling to the city, give me half an hour on the St. Kilda to the city tram any day over the tube in London or in a traffic jam on the M25.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 6:12 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

We always stay in St.Kilda and love it there, we have two small children and have always been able to eat out in restaurants with them both asleep in their pushchairs or even go in to bars. People bent over backwards to accommodate them.

We also stayed at the easy stay if it's the one on Fitzroy you're talking about,
it was adequate,

There's also quite a few playgrounds for the kids as well as a free public bbq
Old Jul 12th 2005, 6:52 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
St Kildas alright about half hour from the city, the tram would get pretty boring after a few days tho. One word of warning, dont let the llittle ones play on the beach, when we were down the local paper had printed that 1000 needles had been cleaned up on the beach I can remember it quite clearly our 7 and 11 year olds had walked on it the previous day, thankfully it was cold and we had boots on. Now I appreciate this is not the sort of stuff people want to hear, but frankly if the local paper can print it then I think as you have kids you have a right to know it. Apologies if that offended anyone.
I can second this. My daughter went to Luna park with her friend in the summer, they went to the beach for a dip. Leah was told to keep her shoes on and was glad she did as she saw a few needles. (her words, not mine. She is 10)
Old Jul 12th 2005, 6:54 am
Badge

After the beaches of many an Aussie town, St Kilda, frankly is pretty ordinary - reminds me too much of an English beach.

St Kilda is not high on my reason to live in Melbourne.

Badge

Old Jul 12th 2005, 8:46 am
A New Day at Mid-Night...

pandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nicepandya_m is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Melbourne - St Kilda?

As Stated St. Kilda has much to offer then Beaches... :scared:
As rightly pointd out few things I see:
1. Accessiblity to city by trams
2. Cheaper accomodations
3. Lot of consulting Agencies (but only could talk to one)
4. Yes Boatanical Garden...Serene Place...

Thats all I can think off..
All the best...
Old Jul 12th 2005, 8:48 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Badge
After the beaches of many an Aussie town, St Kilda, frankly is pretty ordinary - reminds me too much of an English beach.

St Kilda is not high on my reason to live in Melbourne.

Badge
Agree with you there Badge.

We stayed at the Easystay apartments in St. kilda on our validation trip 1.5 years ago. The apartments were ok and the tram took just 20 mins to get to the city centre. The apartments are located bend some large metal gates and there are car parking spaces ($5 a day) so if you hire a car it will be secure at night. I did see a few ladies of the night when I went to get some takeaways in the evening. My wife wondered why it took me so long to get the pizzas . The main street has lots of great cake shops. But overall I we very disappointed by St Kilda, its a bit run down and the beach was awlful. Having said that for somewhere cheap to sleep it was ok.