Reload this Page >

Melbourne Region info

Melbourne Region info

Old Jul 2nd 2007, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

PhilJane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Melbourne Region info

Hi all,

New to the site, so please bare with me if this has been answered before (couldnt find it).

A move to Melboune is now becoming a serious consideration for us, for a number of reasons.

Does anyone have comments/suggestions on the various areas/regions to look at settling in around Melbourne or places to avoid.

We do not want to live in the city, but I would commute of up to around 100km. We have two kids who will likely be about 12 and 9 by the time we move, I am in IT management and OC Kitchen and Bedroom is a Nursery Nurse.

Alternatively, if anyone is aware of any good sites with good gen on this information, grateful for a reply.

Many thanks

Phil n Jane
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 4:53 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne Region info

Originally Posted by PhilJane
Hi all,

New to the site, so please bare with me if this has been answered before (couldnt find it).

A move to Melboune is now becoming a serious consideration for us, for a number of reasons.

Does anyone have comments/suggestions on the various areas/regions to look at settling in around Melbourne or places to avoid.

We do not want to live in the city, but I would commute of up to around 100km. We have two kids who will likely be about 12 and 9 by the time we move, I am in IT management and OC Kitchen and Bedroom is a Nursery Nurse.

Alternatively, if anyone is aware of any good sites with good gen on this information, grateful for a reply.

Many thanks

Phil n Jane
Hey guys, welcome to BE. You'll get loads of great advice on here, prob more once the Aussies are up in a few hours. Another place where a lot of BE'ers go is the Britvics site: http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...hp?showforum=1 .

We're off to Melbourne in just over 3 weeks
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Many thanks

Phil n Jane
Would be best to take a look for yourself. Some areas of Melbourne (footscray for one) I would not want to live in, but was told it was an up and coming area and one of the best places to purchase a home as prices going up?
Have seen some of the so called nicer parts of Melbourne and thought them very over rated and housing is at premium prices comapred to other parts that appear to be equally as good.
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

DCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really nice

Avoid Dandenong, Werribee and Frankston, these are hotspots for trouble.

What sort of area are you looking for? Quiet, vibrant, cheap, expensive, etc?
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 1:21 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Many thanks

Phil n Jane

Everyone is different and there is no right or wrong answer. Some people like the hills and countryside, so may choose Mt Dandenong type areas, some rural Victoria, Berwick, Melton etc, some by the Bay, Mordialloc, Aspendale, Chelsea, Mornington/Mt Eliza, some cafe culture, Malvern, Fitzroy, Hawthorn, St Kilda, Carlton etc.

Some people love suburbia and the big house in places like Sanctuary Lakes, Patterson Lakes, Caroline Springs etc.

Melbourne is huge, and geographically diverse as well as culturally diverse. The most sensible thing to do would be to commit to a short term rental when you first come over and check out some areas that you have shortlisted before you move. I know this may not be practical but I would hesitate to commit to anywhere for a long time before getting a feel for the place myself.

Good luck

Carl
Old Jul 3rd 2007, 1:31 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

I agree with the comments made about different suburbs of Melbourne. You need to get here yourself and have a good drive around and see what feels right for you all. Britvics is a great site and purely for those moving to Victoria. We live in Pakenham which is in the far S/E and about 55kms from the city. It's on the edge of the Gippsland countryside and we love it. I know it sounds a lot of hassle but the best thing to do it get a short term rental for anywhere between 2-4 weeks and have a good drive around and then get a longer term rental in an area that you like. Good luck.