Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

melbourne questions

melbourne questions

Old Sep 4th 2010, 11:58 am
Just Joined

breaffy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default melbourne questions

We are moving to Melbourne at the start of October, Husband has secured a job in Elwood. Was wondering if anyone has short term accomodation to rent?

I work in the pharmaceutical sector. Is Seek the best place to look for work? Any other suggestions?
Are the pharma plants located mainly in one area or on all sides of the city?

All advice appreciated.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 5:32 pm
Degenerate

lolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant futurelolcat has a brilliant future
Default Re: melbourne questions

What kind of pharma work are you involved in?

I'm in analytical and met with ChemSkill and Techstaff when I was in Melbourne for my validation trip earlier this year.

Both agencies were pretty useful in giving an overview for scientific work in the Melbourne area and surrounds.

Hope this helps!
Old Sep 4th 2010, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

I'm in analytical too. It will prob be easier once I get over there to find something , I am just applying for anything I see online at the moment, no luck yet.

Thanks for your help
Old Sep 4th 2010, 9:27 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by breaffy
We are moving to Melbourne at the start of October, Husband has secured a job in Elwood. Was wondering if anyone has short term accomodation to rent?

I work in the pharmaceutical sector. Is Seek the best place to look for work? Any other suggestions?

All advice appreciated.
Cant help you on the work side of things, but you could drop Kate an email regarding short term accomodation.

She has dozens of places on offer, and she is a mine of useful info as well.

http://www.moving-to-melbourne.co.uk...ommodation.htm
Old Sep 5th 2010, 5:33 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: melbourne questions

All advice appreciated.
Seek would definitely be the place to look for work.

As far as short term accommodation goes, Furkew's got some in the Dandenongs as above, Kate as recommended has some everywhere in Melbourne, someone might have some in Mordialloc wherever you chose to rent to start off with, try to make it close to where you will eventually end up if you can as that does make things easier. Not a major if you can't though, Melbourne's a big place.

BB
Old Sep 5th 2010, 10:50 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
As far as short term accommodation goes, Furkew's got some in the Dandenongs as above, Kate as recommended has some everywhere in Melbourne, someone might have some in Mordialloc BB
Thanks for that Simon, but we are probably a bit too far away from where they will probably be looking initially (although I prefer the Dandenongs to the city any day )

as you say, Melbourne is a BIG city, so they need to work out how far they are prepared to travel.

Do you want beach, bush, hustle & bustle or space & a bit of peace? It can all be found withing 45-60 minutes of Elwood.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the help.
It's difficult to know where we will end up as it may depend on what side of the city I find work.
Does anyone have an opinion about renting from gumtree?
Old Sep 6th 2010, 2:41 pm
PMV
Forum Regular

PMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud of

I used serviced apartments in the city for the first couple of weeks to help get my bearings when I moved there a few years back (Punthill apartments have several around Melbourne, and also Quest apartments have some too). For me, I found it great to arrive from a long haul flight to fully equipped clean apartment with air con, and a comfy bed already made up, with a concierge to help with info once I had slept!

After that, I used the 2 big apartment rental sites www.domain.com.au and www.realestate.com.au to help find a longer term rental.

I have only used gumtree for selling furniture, so not sure about renting through that (I don't think it's the most common way of finding a place to rent, although would probably be possible)
Old Sep 6th 2010, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Doco will become famous soon enough

Hi,

we stayed in Elwood in Melbourne last nov/dec in a house called Elwood Rose, which we found on www.stayz.com.au. It was a really lovely house and Elwood as a location was perfect, close to public transport, local shops and most importantly the beach! It wasn't the cheapest, suitable for short term only, think its too expensive as a long term rental.

We found this website really helpful in looking for a short term rental.

Hope this helps
Old Sep 7th 2010, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

We have just got a place sorted in Elwood through the person I will be working for. The place is for sale but until it sells we can have it and the rent is excellent. Also getting the loan of car so things are coming together nicely.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 9:34 pm
Going for a ride

Hi,

We have just got a place sorted in Elwood through the person I will be working for. The place is for sale but until it sells we can have it and the rent is excellent. Also getting the loan of car so things are coming together nicely.
Thats another worry sorted out for the time being , well done. Nice & quick as well.

good luck with everything over the next few weeks, i'm sure they will fly by.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

We have just suffered a set back, wife needs a chest x-ray. Got an appointment on Monday but our departure date is the 11th Oct. Well I start work on the 18th so I gotta get over.

From anyones experience whats the time delay typically between getting x-rays submitted and getting the visa approved? Going on 417 initially and my company is sponsoring a 457 once I'm over etc.

Ideally we would like to go over together. If we can't we can't I suppose.