Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

can i get credit card in oz if on a working holiday visa?

can i get credit card in oz if on a working holiday visa?

Old Sep 6th 2010, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Gegsy Brown is a jewel in the roughGegsy Brown is a jewel in the roughGegsy Brown is a jewel in the roughGegsy Brown is a jewel in the rough
Default can i get credit card in oz if on a working holiday visa?

am moving top perth in october, can i get a credit card when in oz if on a working holiday visa or will i av to get one in uk and take it with me?

thank you.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can i get credit card in oz if on a working holiday visa?

Blimey you are ambitious! We are here on PR and both in full time work but we haven't even attempted to get a credit card yet. I recommend you bring one with you..
Old Sep 6th 2010, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed! You won't get one here because you won't have the earning capacity.

Credit Cards here, well you do almost have to give your right arm for one! I don't know what the forms are like in the UK now but the last one I was sent in the post just required, name, address and signature. Here, they want to know everything, almost down to your inside leg measurement!

I was sent a promo for the new Virgin Money card and it said do not proceed if you don't earn over $50k a year, so they are much tighter here.

We've been trying to get one, partly to help with cash flow but because we are self-employed we've got even more checks! We get one with our mortgage but because we are having to pay the building loan and rent at the moment they refuse to give it to us until we aren't renting anymore, even though we've got more than enough in the bank to cover any credit limit!

Just make sure if you use your UK card then you set up a direct debit to pay each month and make sure it goes through. We had friends who were travelling for a year and there was some mess up with their DD which resulted in a load of hassle with the payments and trying to call from the back of beyond to sort it out!
Old Sep 7th 2010, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gegsy Brown
can i get a credit card when in oz if on a working holiday visa
Short answer. No.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koalakim
I was sent a promo for the new Virgin Money card and it said do not proceed if you don't earn over $50k a year, so they are much tighter here.
That's for their Virgin Flyer credit card - they also do a No Annual Fee card, the minimum income for which is $20,000.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 6:47 am
ABCDiamond

A few years ago, this was the case with one Australian Credit card provider...
The Aussie MasterCard entails the following restrictions:
An Australian resident should earn at least $15,000 and a non-resident should earn at least $50,000 to acquire this card.
But unfortunately, their website now says:

You can apply for an Aussie MasterCard if you are over 18 years old, an Australian resident and earn more than $15,000 a year.
They have tightened up credit card applications.

Old Sep 8th 2010, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Gegsy Brown is a jewel in the roughGegsy Brown is a jewel in the roughGegsy Brown is a jewel in the roughGegsy Brown is a jewel in the rough

thanx i thought it would be best to take one with me. The banks keep sending me letters trying to make me take one so i will take one with me. Thanx for your help.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gegsy Brown
thanx i thought it would be best to take one with me. The banks keep sending me letters trying to make me take one so i will take one with me. Thanx for your help.
Yeah, they virtually throw them at you in the UK, so bring one with.

I kept a couple just in case and cancelled the others before we came.

Always have a backup plan.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

kimandken will become famous soon enoughkimandken will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Yeah, they virtually throw them at you in the UK, so bring one with.

I kept a couple just in case and cancelled the others before we came.

Always have a backup plan.
I got a visa master card from the anz with no probs, they didnt ask me much either & im still only a PR.

Kim
Old Sep 9th 2010, 5:26 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimandken
I got a visa master card from the anz with no probs, they didnt ask me much either & im still only a PR.

Kim
But as a PR you are a resident.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 6:07 am
Aussie in Hertfordshire

moocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant futuremoocow has a brilliant future

commonwealth bank do prepaid mastercard. its better than nothing i guees if their are things you can only pay with a credit card.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

wijay is an unknown quantity at this point

Silly me. my application has been turned down by Westpac, because I've just arrived in Oz 5 days ago with no work eventhough told them that I have 500 k in my account in the UK. The reason for no is affordability to pay back. I did not question them for that but got my debit card today from the same bank.

wijaya
Old Sep 9th 2010, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wijay
Silly me. my application has been turned down by Westpac, because I've just arrived in Oz 5 days ago with no work eventhough told them that I have 500 k in my account in the UK. The reason for no is affordability to pay back. I did not question them for that but got my debit card today from the same bank.

wijaya
Banks typically do base credit decisions on income not savings. You could spend your savings tomorrow on a new house or something as far as they are concerned..