Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

melbourne is like a morgue.....

melbourne is like a morgue.....

Old Jun 14th 2004, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

miriam is on a distinguished road
Default melbourne is like a morgue.....

I'm in the process of checking out whether to settle in sydney or melbourne. Having spent a month in sydney before arrival in melbourne, I was amazed at how quiet melbourne is - how bad the weather is - and how small.

Am I missing something or does melbourne resemble a morgue???? Or does Sydney just completely excel compared to melbourne - can anyone clarify???????

Miriam
Old Jun 14th 2004, 1:19 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough
Default Re: melbourne is like a morgue.....

Originally posted by miriam
I'm in the process of checking out whether to settle in sydney or melbourne. Having spent a month in sydney before arrival in melbourne, I was amazed at how quiet melbourne is - how bad the weather is - and how small.

Am I missing something or does melbourne resemble a morgue???? Or does Sydney just completely excel compared to melbourne - can anyone clarify???????

Miriam
Crikey. Depends what you want, I suppose. Melbourne could never be described as small IMHO, not with the way it sprawls round the bay. The weather is mostly fine; what do you mean by "bad"? You're there now so I suppose it must be relatively cold, especially if you've just come from Sydney. Well, if you want Sydney weather then don't live in Melbourne, and vice versa naturally. Quiet? Again I think that must be relative, and naturally it'll be busier in summer. Do you want to be over-run with tourists?

So... horses for courses. Try both and choose they one you prefer. Simple eh?!
Old Jun 14th 2004, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

miriam is on a distinguished road

since i've arrived in melbourne its done nothing than rain, hail, gusts of wind - and there is a permanent grey sky - four seasons in one day, for sure.

the city centre is compact and then there are miles upon miles of sprawling suburbs - with no character or substance

there must be some soul to this city????????????

can anyone help??????
Old Jun 14th 2004, 1:36 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

since i've arrived in melbourne its done nothing than rain, hail, gusts of wind - and there is a permanent grey sky - four seasons in one day, for sure.
That's about as bad as it gets, I reckon/hope. And I've seen weather that unpleasant in Sydney too (not for days on end, admittedly).

the city centre is compact and then there are miles upon miles of sprawling suburbs - with no character or substance
Mmm, just like Sydney then! (Actually there is character, it's just not sitting next to the major through roads; you have to go exploring for it, as you do anywhere. Start with South Yarra, St. Kilda and Williamstown. I'm sure others can recommend their patches too.)

Plenty, just perhaps not the sort you're looking for.

Tell us what you want from a city and we'll tell you where to find it (and, yes, the answer may simply be: not in Melbourne! As a random example, if you want to go surfing, then it's definitely not the place to be; sure, you could be based there and go surfing, but it's nowhere near as handy as it is in say Sydney or other places, I imagine).

Last edited by MarkMyWords; Jun 14th 2004 at 1:53 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 3:38 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I'd stick to Sydney if I was you Miriam.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

there's something about that miriam
Old Jun 14th 2004, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Miriam
Melbourne claimed to be one of the world's most liveable cities, yet resembles a morgue.

Interesting concept...

Melbourne has the better restaurants and a great indoor market. But Sydney's got everything else - including the high property prices.

Apart from house prices, Sydney wins hands down.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 6:53 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Miriam
Melbourne like a morgue? Frankly, I really enjoyed my 'near-death' experience there the other week. If this is what a morgue is like, then the old 'popping the clogs' thing can't be all bad....

Hope you enjoy Sydney!

Anya.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 7:13 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Miriam
Stroll on, we're in for a laugh then when we get to Melbourne!! :scared:

D D
Old Jun 14th 2004, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
Start with South Yarra, St. Kilda and Williamstown. I'm sure others can recommend their patches too.)
Kew and Hawthorn have lots of character and beautiful Victorian property. Carlton has some lovely houses too, not to mention great restaurants. Toorak is chic, lots of character, nice little shopping strip. Prahran, nice as well. The inner suburbs have lots of character. Towards the Dandenongs, Sasafras and around is beautiful and lush. Warandyte area is hilly and very green.

Admittedly, some suburbs are purely residential and it can seem like there are endless rooftops, but you can't possible say that the whole of Melbourne lacks character.

IMO, one of the great things about Melbourne is how each suburb can have its own character, and can represent a certain 'lifestyle'. I love the individuality of the suburbs, the architecture, boutique shops, restaurants, butcher, greengrocer, cafes....like being in a mini-town rather than a sprawling city. I haven't seen enough of Sydney to compare but sounds like you've made your mind up anyway!!
Old Jun 14th 2004, 9:02 pm
Impressive Member

lostkiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

bad weather....errrm that would be because it is WINTER... it is a season that rolls around every year and by pyre co-incidence the weather turns bad - very odd.

P.s. Sydney gets more rain than Melb on average every year....
Old Jun 14th 2004, 10:43 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

can anyone help??????
Only you can help.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 12:39 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Miriam
Can you clarify something.

Were you born a man?
Old Jun 15th 2004, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

helenmaine is an unknown quantity at this point

[i]

IMO, one of the great things about Melbourne is how each suburb can have its own character, and can represent a certain 'lifestyle'. I love the individuality of the suburbs, the architecture, boutique shops, restaurants, butcher, greengrocer, cafes....like being in a mini-town rather than a sprawling city. I haven't seen enough of Sydney to compare but sounds like you've made your mind up anyway!!

Couldn't agree more. We have been here 2 weeks and have settled in Kensigton. We live in a lovely leasfy street but within 5 mins walk there is a little shipping area withy cafes and restarants. ON a sunday everyone is stitting out having breakfast. People have been incredibly friendly and helpful - always stopping for a chat , and the food is just amazing. I can be in the centre of the city in 10 minutes on train or in St Kilda in about 40 mins. Everything is accessible by tram (even ikea!) and the city has a great comfortable cosmoplitan feel about it. I can't fomment on Sydney, but just wanted to stand up for Melbourne!
Old Jun 15th 2004, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nothing wrong with Melbourne! I'm loving it here. As for the weather, I got a suntan last wednesday whilst working outdoors.
Also had a nice day and and bbq at philip Island, not bad for winter I,d say.

Where I have bought a block of land to build has a lovely thriving community where loads goes on and we have quite a number of mates there now and that's even before we have moved into that area.

Anyway, follow what feels right for you and if that means living in Sydney , then go for it. At the end of the day you have to do what is right and most comfortable for you.

Best of luck

BooBoo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.