Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

melbourne is like a morgue.....

melbourne is like a morgue.....

Old Jun 15th 2004, 6:46 am
Just Joined

miriam is on a distinguished road

thanks for all your replies.
I've actually visited all the areas already mentioned in the thread - although melbourne is certainly better than areas like Southampton in the UK, its certainly not the most exciting place in the world!!!!! According to everyone we know in melbourne, the weather is like the South East of England - A SOLID few weeks of endless grey and rain since we've arrived - I'm not sure its a place you would want to spend the rest of your life in.

Anyway, we are going to give Sydney a shot for a couple of years - good luck those who are heading for melbourne - you might need to keep your rose tinted glasses on and keep reassuring yourself by quoting that this is the " worlds most liveable city"

mike stanton- -how long did you last in sydney - is it more international than melbourne???

Miriam

ps i was a man in my last life!!!!!!
Old Jun 15th 2004, 7:09 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

By international, do you mean cosmopolitan? If so, Sydney is less cosmo than Melbourne. Melbourne is one of the more cosmopolitan cities in the world.

Sydney just moves a lot faster.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

I was just going to post some info about Melbourne's weather and things to do - but less than 24 hours after posting quite a basic question it seems you've come to a decision.
Originally posted by miriam
Anyway, we are going to give Sydney a shot for a couple of years........
Good luck Miriam

Hopefully the month you've spent in Sydney has given you information that was a little bit more accurate than the information you were given for Melbourne.

Gave me a chuckle anyway.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 7:31 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Might I suggest a night spent in "The Old Morgue" near the corner of Batman and Swanston Streets?
Old Jun 15th 2004, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

According to everyone we know in melbourne, the weather is like the South East of England
Did you only meet English people there?

The locals may have been able to offer a different perspective....just a thought.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Taylorbrook is an unknown quantity at this point

young_lad

would it be possible for you to post that information anyway? Hopefully we'll be off to Melbourne in a couple of months, and having some statistics would be helpful.

As for horses for courses, my wife spent two weeks in Sydney and two days in Melbourne, and preferred Melbourne! Of course that was in Feb.

S
Old Jun 15th 2004, 8:38 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I agree you won't see Melbourne at its best this week, its been really cold wet & Windy but as Someone said it IS Winter. I see it as one of Melbournes advantages that it gets the four seasons especially when three out the four are fantastic. We really need the rain so the more it pours through Winter the better, I'm not moaning, I love this Morgue.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 8:42 am
Just Joined

miriam is on a distinguished road

good luck to all those who are in melbourne - we all want different things but I didn't come to the other side of the world for a weather foreast of endless rain and hail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 15th 2004, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Taylorbrook, here's some things to do in the land of the deceased......
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...lbourne+top+40
Old Jun 15th 2004, 8:49 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

good luck to all those who are in melbourne - we all want different things but I didn't come to the other side of the world for a weather foreast of endless rain and hail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If worrying about the weather in Aust is your only problem , then you have NO problem, gets some balls girl ................ MM
Old Jun 15th 2004, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Taylorbrook
young_lad

would it be possible for you to post that information anyway? Hopefully we'll be off to Melbourne in a couple of months, and having some statistics would be helpful.

As for horses for courses, my wife spent two weeks in Sydney and two days in Melbourne, and preferred Melbourne! Of course that was in Feb.

S
http://www.weather-climate.com/melbourne.html

OzTennis
Old Jun 15th 2004, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for all your replies.
I've actually visited all the areas already mentioned in the thread - although melbourne is certainly better than areas like Southampton in the UK, its certainly not the most exciting place in the world!!!!! According to everyone we know in melbourne, the weather is like the South East of England - A SOLID few weeks of endless grey and rain since we've arrived - I'm not sure its a place you would want to spend the rest of your life in.

Anyway, we are going to give Sydney a shot for a couple of years - good luck those who are heading for melbourne - you might need to keep your rose tinted glasses on and keep reassuring yourself by quoting that this is the " worlds most liveable city"

mike stanton- -how long did you last in sydney - is it more international than melbourne???

Miriam

ps i was a man in my last life!!!!!!

I don't need to convince myself - with rose tinted glasses on or off, it is undoubtedly the best and most liveable city in the World!

As somebody pointed out - it is winter.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by OzTennis
http://www.weather-climate.com/melbourne.html

OzTennis
Exactly the link I was going to post

One of Badgers old links I think. Anyway, it certainly doesn't describe weather like the South East of England.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Taylorbrook
young_lad

S
The above link gives a good month-by-month analysis of the weather statistics. For a view on what the folks who post here think, take a look at this thread - someone compared the Melbourne in weather to that of Barcelona (and I'm sure you've realised by now that if anyone posts anything contentious on here they'll be shot down in flames - this person wasn't).

As for the things to do, I think HiddenPaw got that one covered
Old Jun 15th 2004, 10:39 am
Impressive Member

lostkiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

I reckon I am qualified to comment on the comparision of eather between Melb and the South East of England - I lived 17 years in Melb and 8 years in Southampton... verdict:
Melbourne weather is about 1,000000000000000000 % than the SE England - there is just no comparision whatsoever,

if you expect to go through winter and not see a "few solid weeks of rain/grey", then yes you willo be sadly dissapointed.

Moreover - if it did not rain in melbs winter there would be zero drinking water, extreme risk of disasterous bush fires, no wildlife, no argiculture, no vinyards.. etc etc - during the other 3 fantastic seasons of the year. I think they call it a balanced eco system... what e nuisance eh?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.