Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne Groups

Melbourne Groups

Old May 15th 2006, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Auzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant future
Question Melbourne Groups

Hi All
We have now had a change of heart and if/when the visa arrives we have decided to settle in Melbourne for the first 12 months. Hubby has some relatives there so we thought it may be easier, although eventually our hearts are set on Perth.
Anyway my question is, we have a Poms Down under group etc but is there any boards for Melbourne where I can learn about schools, suburbs etc?
Thank you in advance for any help offered.
Old May 15th 2006, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

jimtracey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Melbourne Groups

Hi try this one.

Britvics

It is for people moving to and living in Victoria, but is predominantly about Melbourne

Jim
Old May 15th 2006, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Auzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant futureAuzangel has a brilliant future

Superb, thanks Jim, I am sending you some karma

Originally Posted by jimtracey
Hi try this one.

Britvics

It is for people moving to and living in Victoria, but is predominantly about Melbourne

Jim
Old May 15th 2006, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, I've never had any before!
Old May 15th 2006, 8:15 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auzangel
Hi All
We have now had a change of heart and if/when the visa arrives we have decided to settle in Melbourne for the first 12 months. Hubby has some relatives there so we thought it may be easier, although eventually our hearts are set on Perth.
Anyway my question is, we have a Poms Down under group etc but is there any boards for Melbourne where I can learn about schools, suburbs etc?
There are quite a few of us down here in Melbourne. Ask away with specific questions, or feel free to PM me.

We recently arrived so have been through getting a rental, buying a car, buying whiteware etc. Our daughter is currently in nursery due to start school in Jan 2007. Suburbs depends on budget and then desired location ie close to the sea, close to the CBD. The schools are good in just about all locations.

Kiwi
Old May 15th 2006, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Hi Kiwi,
I know I didn't start this thread but perhaps you could tell me how easily and also how quickly you were able to get a rental. I am lucky in that my brother, who is in Parkdale, has offered to put us up for a while, but since he has a family of five and we have a family of seven, this will only be feasible for a short while, preferably a couple of days. We would like to have the rental sorted before we come out, as we have seen a couple of properties on realestate.com.au that we hope will still be available when we eventually get our house sold!
Any info on this would be appreciated.
Old May 16th 2006, 12:13 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Kiwi,
I know I didn't start this thread but perhaps you could tell me how easily and also how quickly you were able to get a rental. I am lucky in that my brother, who is in Parkdale, has offered to put us up for a while, but since he has a family of five and we have a family of seven, this will only be feasible for a short while, preferably a couple of days. We would like to have the rental sorted before we come out, as we have seen a couple of properties on realestate.com.au that we hope will still be available when we eventually get our house sold!
Hi, I'm just up from Parkdale if you need any info let me know but I'm sure your brother will know most things! I wouldn't rent anywhere before seeing it but if your brother has the same ideas as you you should be ok.

PM sent

LJJ
Old May 16th 2006, 4:05 am
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kiwi,
I'm not sure you'll be able to rent before moving here. When we were looking (granted there's only 2 of us, not quite your tribe, so we were looking for a unit!) we had to fill in application forms for the properties and give them in to the real estate agent. they then sifted through all the applications and chose the preferred rentor. We managed to get accepted and move in less than a week later, but the process of getting accepted took a week or two aswell. I'm not sure about the availability of places of the size you'll be looking for, but there were loads of 2 bed units. It may not be the same for a house with the number of bedrooms you'll need!
Old May 16th 2006, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

angipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the roughangipipsqueak is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by thebears
There are quite a few of us down here in Melbourne. Ask away with specific questions, or feel free to PM me.

We recently arrived so have been through getting a rental, buying a car, buying whiteware etc. Our daughter is currently in nursery due to start school in Jan 2007. Suburbs depends on budget and then desired location ie close to the sea, close to the CBD. The schools are good in just about all locations.

Kiwi
Would it be ok if I PM you, I've a few questions about getting a short tern rental.
Old May 16th 2006, 8:59 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angipipsqueak
Would it be ok if I PM you, I've a few questions about getting a short tern rental.
Go ahead

Kiwi
Old May 16th 2006, 9:16 pm
Melbourne Australia

Hi Kiwi,
I know I didn't start this thread but perhaps you could tell me how easily and also how quickly you were able to get a rental.
Hi Jim and Tracey,

We arrived on 28th of April and took possession this Monday 15th of May.

We were also in your position but the estate agents would not even return emails. The problem is they only allow viewings of rentals after the previous tenants have moved out -well thats been our experience.

They do the viewings in 15 min slots (to maximise interest and make it easier on themselves). Some agents allow you to take the key and do your own viewing with a deposit of $50 and your passport.

We got to the stage where we even offered without a viewing to take the place - but they insisted on a viewing first because they did not want to proceed with checking our application and find out at the last minute we didnt like the place. Managed to sneak in while the cleaners were doing the final clean - had applications approved overnight and took the keys this Monday just gone. Quite a few angry calls to the agents by other prospective tenants who were told property not available for viewing until Wednesday this week (sorry guys) but you can see sometimes you need to be in the right place at the right time.

All the agents also kept directing our inquires to the Web saying everything is on there. But I would also push to meet them face to face so they know who you.

It also takes a few days to get utilities organised so be prepared to overlap your short term accomodation.

#Get applications from all of the agents you might be using (one per person over 16/18).
#Make copies of references and other details to go in with the application.
#Prepare a covering letter to provide more of an insight into you that the application doesn't account for ie arriving in the country with plenty of cash but no job/employment.
# Ensure you have internet connection so you can browse while here - some agents allow online applications.
# You will need a car because they dont carry insurance to take you too places. - that was what my wife was told.

Kiwi
Old May 16th 2006, 9:22 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Auzangel
Hi All

Us too, that's sooooooooo wierd We just thought more opportunities all round for us and teen , but like you Perth is where my heart will be, but one day ehhh
Old May 16th 2006, 9:25 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by thebears
Hi Jim and Tracey,

We arrived on 28th of April and took possession this Monday 15th of May.

We were also in your position but the estate agents would not even return emails. The problem is they only allow viewings of rentals after the previous tenants have moved out -well thats been our experience.

They do the viewings in 15 min slots (to maximise interest and make it easier on themselves). Some agents allow you to take the key and do your own viewing with a deposit of $50 and your passport.

We got to the stage where we even offered without a viewing to take the place - but they insisted on a viewing first because they did not want to proceed with checking our application and find out at the last minute we didnt like the place. Managed to sneak in while the cleaners were doing the final clean - had applications approved overnight and took the keys this Monday just gone. Quite a few angry calls to the agents by other prospective tenants who were told property not available for viewing until Wednesday this week (sorry guys) but you can see sometimes you need to be in the right place at the right time.

All the agents also kept directing our inquires to the Web saying everything is on there. But I would also push to meet them face to face so they know who you.

It also takes a few days to get utilities organised so be prepared to overlap your short term accomodation.

#Get applications from all of the agents you might be using (one per person over 16/18).
#Make copies of references and other details to go in with the application.
#Prepare a covering letter to provide more of an insight into you that the application doesn't account for ie arriving in the country with plenty of cash but no job/employment.
# Ensure you have internet connection so you can browse while here - some agents allow online applications.
# You will need a car because they dont carry insurance to take you too places. - that was what my wife was told.

Kiwi
good info, cheers would send you karm, but i've now been able to send to anyone for ages, don't know what's wrong Usually Toonje sorts me out with things like that, but don't know where he is these days, sorry am rambling
Old May 17th 2006, 7:25 am
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by Margaret2
good info, cheers would send you karm, but i've now been able to send to anyone for ages, don't know what's wrong Usually Toonje sorts me out with things like that, but don't know where he is these days, sorry am rambling
no worries "its the thought that counts"