Reload this Page >

Melbourne to Geelong

Melbourne to Geelong

Old Jul 13th 2004, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

bryoak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Melbourne to Geelong

Hi

can anyone help, we are going from Melbourne airport to Geelong, what are the best options. We will be buying a car the day after we arrive, so want the easiest way down there. I would have thought that with all the baggage it would be better in a taxi, does anyone know the cost?

We are stopping at Geelong River View Lodge (thanks Alan Collet for the recomendation) for a week.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Melbourne to Geelong

Originally posted by bryoak
Hi

can anyone help, we are going from Melbourne airport to Geelong, what are the best options. We will be buying a car the day after we arrive, so want the easiest way down there. I would have thought that with all the baggage it would be better in a taxi, does anyone know the cost?

We are stopping at Geelong River View Lodge (thanks Alan Collet for the recomendation) for a week.

A taxi wouldnt be an option because of how far it is...will cost a fortune....

Not sure if there are shuttle buses to Geelong...that might be an option....although I cant be much help with who runs the buses...but I am sure with a bit of research on the airport sites, you will find a contact....

Good luck

Hels
Old Jul 13th 2004, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

There is a direct bus from melbourne Aiport to Geelong but then we would have to get a taxi from the centre of Geelong to the lodge, cost for the bus and then a taxi approx. $100.

To hire a car may be cheaper? one way rental anybody know any firms?
Old Jul 13th 2004, 1:53 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a direct bus from melbourne Aiport to Geelong but then we would have to get a taxi from the centre of Geelong to the lodge, cost for the bus and then a taxi approx. $100.

Most of the major car rental places would do one way to Geelong...and it wouldnt cost that much....It could be a good option if you dont mind driving if you dont know the way...(although I guess you might know....~laugh~)
Old Jul 13th 2004, 6:50 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

bryoka

Just done a search on google for River View Lodge but come up with Best Western Riverview Motor Inn, is this one and the same?

Sorry I couldn't be of any help with your problem, someone on here will come up with a bright idea for you.

D D
Old Jul 13th 2004, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by DollyDaydream
bryoka

Just done a search on google for River View Lodge but come up with Best Western Riverview Motor Inn, is this one and the same?

Sorry I couldn't be of any help with your problem, someone on here will come up with a bright idea for you.

D D
here is the link

http://www.geelongriverview.com.au/
Old Jul 13th 2004, 9:37 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

I hired a car (one way rental) from Melbourne Airport through Avis for a 24 hour period (about 11am-11am I think). I can't remember the exact cost but I know I was surprised by how cheap it was.
I picked it up at the airport (got a free upgrade) and dropped it off in Melbourne CBD. I just checked and they do have a depot in Geelong.

Also, if you're interested, if you apply for Qantas FF card from the UK its free (cost within OZ) you get a discount on your Avis hire as well as FF points

I know Avis aren't the only company, so it maybe worth doing a search on google.com.au or something for some more choices
Old Jul 14th 2004, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that i will give it a try.

Does anyone know if it is easy to find geelong from Melbourne airport. Dont forget long flight ,2 small kids, dont know where I'm going dont go together!!

Darren
Old Jul 14th 2004, 6:58 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

here is the link

http://www.geelongriverview.com.au/
Darren

Thanks for that. Another for the burgeoning file!!!

D D
Old Jul 14th 2004, 1:38 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Very easy - though I say that having done the drive a few times!

- Exit the airport on the Tullamarine Freeway heading towards Melbourne.

- After about 5 km, exit left, onto the Western Ring Road (signposted the Princes Freeway and Geelong) - warning: stay in the right hand lane when the roads merge!

- Continue on the Western Ring Road for about 15km until it divides at the Princes Freeway - left for Melbourne, right for Geelong

- Stay on the Princes Freeway for about 50km, until you get to Geelong outskirts (Norlane, Corio)

- Stay on the main road for another 6 to 10 km, past the Ford factory, past the exits for the city, along La Trobe Terrace, past Kardinia Park and Skilled Stadium (Go Cats!), over the James Harrison Bridge, and then turn right at the traffic lights towards Belmont (left is signposted Barwon Heads)

- That exit takes you to a cross roads with Geelong Lawn Tennis Club on the opposite corner (High Street Belmont is left with K-Mart visible). Go straight over at these traffic lights - into the Barrabool Road; the accommodation is on the LHS after about a kilometre

If you are hiring a car I would ask for a Melway Guide to be included, as this has a Geelong road map in it.

As I think you know, the alternative to hiring a car at the airport is the Gull Bus service, which will take you from the stop outside International Arrivals at the Airport to McKillop Street in Geelong. A taxi from there (call 131008 for Bay City Cabs) to your accommodation in the Barrabool Road will take about 10 minutes.

Hope this helps!

Best regards.

Thanks for that i will give it a try.

Does anyone know if it is easy to find geelong from Melbourne airport. Dont forget long flight ,2 small kids, dont know where I'm going dont go together!!

Darren
Old Jul 14th 2004, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

WOW.......... who needs a map when you have Alan Collett sat. services........ brill, i think i will hire car now.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 5:37 pm
Anti- Mike Member

Glenn2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Gull Air - Do a service from MEL Airport to Geelong - Bus with trailer for luggage.

Gull Air - Click Here