Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with me?

What's wrong with me?

Old Jul 14th 2004, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

PaulaJ will become famous soon enoughPaulaJ will become famous soon enough
Default What's wrong with me?

I can't get enough of this forum! My computer is on at work and every couple of minutes I have to check and see the new messages. I am beginning to care whether complete strangers get their visas. I am interested in neighborhoods no where near where I plan to live.

Is there help? A support group? A methadone type treatment for my BritishExpats habit?

Paula
Old Jul 14th 2004, 1:12 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

nope sorry paula...once hooked youve had it.....

my name is yvsie and i am.............

Old Jul 14th 2004, 1:13 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

It gets worse Paula, believe me! After a few months you start to recognise the people at the same stage as you, who ask the same questions as you. I remember the people who were starting out when I was.....several of them are now actually flying as we speak, others are here, like I am!
I don't know if there are others on the forum who live near you, but we had a couple of meets last year in Sussex - all my friends thought I was weird, meeting people I knew off the net....but I made some great friendships, and we now meet up over here. Other friends I met for the first time here, after we set up nights out and meets through the forum.
And I'll be honest - without my "Expats mates" I never would have made it though my first nine months here.

Tis weird isn't it though, spookily addictive!!!!
Old Jul 14th 2004, 1:19 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
I never would have made it though my first nine months here.

crikey Pollyanna have you been there NINE MONTHS already????????????????
i remember you posting about all your stuff being shipped out and you lying on your living room floor in Brighton with only the computer for company!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.........We really do need some sort of counselling, dontcha think??

sue
Old Jul 14th 2004, 1:24 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

well, its about 8 and a half I think. Left UK on Hallowe'en, remember all the broomstick jokes? Arrived here November 2nd. Scary; and I'm thinking Simone, and the Bananas, for example, are of the same crowd as us Sue, aren't they? Its like watching children grow up in a class together, the next intake have their own in-jokes and stuff, and we get on with them, but we always remember the ones we were with when we were new.

Hope that makes sense, I seem to have emptied the wine bottle!!!!

PS And yes, I remember only too well lying on the floor, just me and the computer! My sister sent me some pics today too - the last ones taken at Heathrow with her and her hubby and their kids, just before I left. Hence the wine bottle....

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 14th 2004 at 1:26 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 2:04 pm
Professional Princess

Default Re: What's wrong with me?

Originally posted by PaulaJ
I can't get enough of this forum! My computer is on at work and every couple of minutes I have to check and see the new messages. I am beginning to care whether complete strangers get their visas. I am interested in neighborhoods no where near where I plan to live.

Is there help? A support group? A methadone type treatment for my BritishExpats habit?

Paula
Its true. We have 'Surf Patrol' at work monitoring our internet usage. I phoned the IT dept last week and asked them to lift restrictions because I wanted to see my Brit Ex Pats and Poms in Perth site.

Now I have figured that if I keep the windows open all day, then I can view them all day. we get half hour of internet usage a day. But once your on a site, then it seems ok.

I feel like I have known the people I have been chatting to for years.

We start off at 0900am in the morning. Theres Sukhi, Devonchick from NZ, and Balushi from Dubai, we have to get our times right so we can chat.

What we need at work are webcams to make it more interesting.

And, providing I click on to Big Brother early on in the day, I can get some light relief from that!

Help me someone

Old Jul 14th 2004, 3:34 pm
Rose-tinted specs anyone?

Sarsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Paula
The really great thing about worrying about your addiction to this site is you forget to dwell on the waiting!

BTW I have been reading this site for the last six or seven months and used to post under the name Sims4eva until, for some reason, the site stopped recognising my password! Maybe they were trying to wean me off!
Old Jul 14th 2004, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future

Paula
I know where you coming from - It is interesting to read about different individuals and familys situations & experiences.

Personally reading some of the threads on this site has made me seriously question my motives to emigrate. If we do ever decide to make the big move I can 100% guarantee no rose tinted specs!!. Either way very glad to have found this site !
Old Jul 14th 2004, 4:48 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband is sick to death of the hours I spend on this site and the Adelaide Brits one. Last week (as a joke, I hope ) he came down and put his wedding ring on top of the PC!!! I tell him it's important research!!!!
Old Jul 14th 2004, 5:22 pm
Living the Oz lifestyle..

sunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant future

Hi Lucy,

I'm in the same boat, although hubby hasn't put the ring on the PC yet! :scared: He doesn't even ask what I'm doing anymore, he just knows. Problem is we have lots to do in the evenings now and I really need to get my butt in gear. I'm also frustrated because at work they've totally limited our time on internet and it's all getting monitored. As they don't know yet I have to stay off - very annoying!!!

Sunchaser
6 weeks, 6 days and counting.....
PS: I only found this site recently, AFTER we got our visa's and I'm hooked!
Old Jul 14th 2004, 5:56 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Hi everyone,

There is no limit to my internet usage at work, unfortunately I can't get at it as I have to teach all day, lol. In a few days time I have (please don't shout at me) 6 weeks off and I'm hoping that British Expats will get me through the agony of waiting around and having too much time on my hands.

Sarah