Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Melbourne Curry Conundrum!

The Melbourne Curry Conundrum!

Old Dec 30th 2011, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

MancInMelb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Melbourne Curry Conundrum!

Originally Posted by stuartsummers1980
Ok that could be my next try as I happen to work a short walk from that curry house, and have been eyeing it up for some time now. Up until now I'd only had an Aussie say it did a good curry, which of course makes me a bit cynical, but as you're from Manc originally I think that's enough to warrant me trying it. Thanks.
No worries, let us know what you think!!
Old Dec 31st 2011, 2:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I am normally a Jalfrezi eater, but Maya's menu described it as a mild curry, which it's not supposed to be. Hence why I went Bhuna and Rogan Josh, although had to ask for them to be spicy and they were great. Maybe should have done the same with the Jalfrezi.
Common misconception because of how UK 'Indian's' market their meals. The name relates to how it's cooked and how the sauce is. It can be anything from mild to hot, you simply ask for the heat required (as you did).
Old Dec 31st 2011, 5:50 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

The jalfrezi I had the other night was pretty warm, and I'm no pussy when it comes to spice.
Old Dec 31st 2011, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Been to a few curry places, including a couple named by the OP. Best one so far is definatley the one in Glen Waverley (ozzie, never got to the one in Heidelberg, summit came up, but its on for the future). Best of all its walking distance

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/71/16144...-Glen-Waverley

Ozzie the one in Heidelberg that the nurse i work with husband runs is called coconut lagoon.

http://coconutlagoon.com.au/
Thanks for this. How long has the Elephant Corridor been open?

Will try it out when I get back home in Feb 12.

Some great curry places over here in East Africa but, they really know how to apply the chili (peri peri) down in Mozambique....spicy hot.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 4:20 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JR230898
Thanks for this. How long has the Elephant Corridor been open?

Will try it out when I get back home in Feb 12.

Some great curry places over here in East Africa but, they really know how to apply the chili (peri peri) down in Mozambique....spicy hot.
Not long, maybe six months, but if you know GW, i think it may be owned by the people who own shine, and they have also opened a thai place a few doors along (not tried that one, may try to get in tonight,
Old Jan 5th 2012, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

stuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks to everyone who contributed, there's now a fair few curry houses in Melbourne that people seem to think cuts the mustard, but think Krishna's in Sandringham seems to have had the most people say it's good, so based on where I live Bayside that'll be my first port of call and a trip to my local at work The Tandoori Den in Camberwell. Also thought I'd summarise all the curry houses that people mentioned as being good in the separate postings, if I missed any please tag on;

Saleem Bombay, Coburg
Krishna's, Sandringham
Bombay by Night, South Caulfield
Hydrebadi, Carnegie
The Tandoori Den, Camberwell
Elephant Corridor, Glen Waverley
Old Jan 5th 2012, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm having curry tonight! From the Khan Curry Hut in Geelong. It is the best I've found, and on one occasion made me nearly weep as it was as near to a UK one as I've been. Unfortunately, that chef hasn't been on again when I've ordered.

Think I'm accepting that it'll never be like the UK cos I'm not in the UK but after having 2 whilst back in the UK in May, I do miss them!
Old Jan 5th 2012, 5:55 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

So people who have had curry in Melbourne, have you found a place on a par with a UK curry house? .
There are 2 that I rate:

India House - on High Street near Williams Road / opposite mt erica pub.

There is one in Malvern Road near Gardiner train station. I cant remember the name it is quite a big place, about 2 or 3 shop fronts wide.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 7:24 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

I think the biggest problem here is that the concept of what makes a good curry varies from country to country as the chefs adjust their recipes to local expectations and requirements. If you want a true Indian curry you have to go to India, and even there a curry from one region will be very different to one from another region.

When I arrived here 30 years ago I too considered that a decent curry was totally unavailable: now I enjoy a good curry in many places. This is partly because the Australian customers are getting more adventurous (and lots more Indian immigrants) resulting in more authentic dishes being offered and partly because, having spent a considerable time in south-east Asia, I have realised that the vindaloo eaten in a flock wallpaper restaurant after a night consuming large quantities of beer is not actually the epitome of Indian cuisine.

Face facts - you're in Australia now so you have to judge things by local standards, and since a curry is an import in either country you can't expect it to be identical in both. Now if you were talking about something that is native to the UK like a pork pie then you would have a greater justification for expecting them to taste the same over here (which generally they don't!) and grumbling about them.

Last edited by KJCherokee; Jan 5th 2012 at 7:33 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have realised that the vindaloo eaten in a flock wallpaper restaurant after a night consuming large quantities of beer is not actually the epitome of Indian cuisine.

. what have i been doing all my life
Old Jan 6th 2012, 3:58 am
Just Joined

inthedeep is an unknown quantity at this point

The Bengal Tuiger in South Melbourne wasnt really that nice when i ate there a few weeks ago - won't be going back. Oddly i actually have found the nicest curry (so far) to be from a fast food restaurant in the city. The spice kitchen in Collins Street.

God i do miss a good Indian!
Old Jan 6th 2012, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

bumble69 will become famous soon enoughbumble69 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by inthedeep
Oddly i actually have found the nicest curry (so far) to be from a fast food restaurant in the city. The spice kitchen in Collins Street.
Ahh yes, I've eaten there too and I was surprised it was actually OK.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

stuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura about

Ok so since posting the thread and hearing everyone's feedback I ventured out for a curry tonight. Now it had been my intention to try Krishna's that was getting mentioned several times. (which incidentally is more Cheltenham than Sandringham way), but looking at the menu online, despite seeing loads of great reviews, I'm not a fan of meat on the bone, so gave it a swerve. Another other one in Bayside near me that got a mention; Bombay Nights, is closed till later in the month and the others people mentioned were a bit out of my way to venture to. So went on Urbanspoon and found one next to Ripponlea station (classed as Elsternwick apparently) which had had some great reviews and it was the best curry I've had in Melbourne so far. The place was called Bala Da Dhaba. Had a prawn madras and the Delhi Chicken Curry. Good flavours and good cuts of meat. Thought the Madras wasn't quite cooked to my UK liking so not quite perfect, but was good enough. Will just try a different curry next time, but same place me thinks.....
Old Jan 7th 2012, 7:15 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

We had a take away from Marpha in Mentone on Friday, among its menu items it advertises "Balti like the ones you get in Birmingham, UK". It would have been the best curry I have had in Australia, though probably not as good as the UK!

BB
Old Jan 7th 2012, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

We are both big curry eaters and my oh can make superb curries. I had curry as a child in Africa and when I married and went to sea with my husband we had Indian Crew on some ships so we got authentic curry.

We were in UK last year and went to a top Indian Restaurant, many awards, my sister loved it but we were disappointed, its made for the British palate just like here in Aus they make it for the Aus palate.

There are not many Pakistani people in Australia and most are Indian, either from Fiji and India and of course there are a lot of Sri Lankans here as well.

Therefore the tastes are different and its good that they are. Its boring to eat the same old same old.

We get all our curry ingredients from Hindustani Imports in Greens Road, Dandenong. Very good place.

So just remember people in different countries have different likes and dislikes.

I have an interesting book Curry Bible by an Engish author and in it he says that they cook things that the English like and has a laugh saying they cook up b..... burners for the lager louts when they come in lol

We have an Indian Restaurant where I live and we have been going to it for a long long time and its very good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.