Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

MELBOURNE - BUZZY'S RECCIE PART 2!!!

MELBOURNE - BUZZY'S RECCIE PART 2!!!

Old Dec 15th 2006, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MELBOURNE - BUZZY'S RECCIE PART 2!!!

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
For those of us that actually live in Victoria, there was only 2 days this spring where the weather was considered hot and smokey, the rest of the time it was fantastic perfect weather in the mid 20 degrees.
I'd say it has been more dry than hot even though Jad's stats would bear out it has been hotter on average.

The 'surprise' but not unheard of day was the one we had in October - that first TFB when we got to 37 or so.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
OK OK victorias not been hot or smokey , hottest spring on record, state is considering a state of emergency, half a million HECTACRES have burnt, homes lost, disaster estimated to cost the state billions, smoke haze picked up from space, dozens of bushfires, at one stage one was 270 klm long, but dont dare anyone in brisbane say vics been hot. I'll agree with ya dont think the family in victoria will agree tho.
Victoria's a huge state... I'm sure many areas of Victoria have been hot and smokey and some areas are suffering extreme conditions.
WE here have ONLY had a handful of 35oC plus days and ONLY two smokey days. The great thing about these couple of hot days is that immediately afterwards the cool change comes in and it's bliss. Sorry to disappoint. I have no intention of misinforming anyone of the climate here - but I just tell it as I experience it
I'm sure anyone planning on living in Victoria will research the climate in detail if they are concerned.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 7:23 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: MELBOURNE - BUZZY'S RECCIE PART 2!!!

The whole point of me doing my reccie was to gain my own personal experiences of Australia. Forum information is excellent, but could never replace my own first hand personal experiences.

I appreciate I was only there 2.5 weeks.

However -

My own personal first hand experience of Melbourne weather was that it was mostly warm and sunny, occasional breezes, some cloud in the mornings.

My own personal first hand experiences of Brisbane weather (and I have been there 3 times at different times of year, although not winter) is that to cope with it, people live in permanent semi-twilight and rarely go outside except for 5am - 7am and after night falls.

That is not the way I want to live.

These were, I re-iterate my own personal first hand experiences, which was the whole point of doing a reccie.

I would urge you to consider my first caveat at the top of my post -

"1. Everything in here is my opinions and observations. I apologise if these don’t agree with others opinions."

Buzzy
Old Dec 15th 2006, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, I'll certainly look in on Baker the Baker when down that way next. I guess we all know true examples like Baker the Baker. 2 that spring to mind for me are:

Frank Seymour who was an optician in Aberdeen.
Jim Payne who was a dentist I knew in Melbourne.

OzTennis

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
The Mount Martha pie restaurant people have been inquiring about is -

Mount Martha Fine Foods
Shops 1+2
34 Lochiel Avenue
Mt Martha 3934

Tel - 5974 4407

The owner is called Martyn Baker (appropriately enough) and he hails from Bromley in Kent so don't be fooled by his Ozzy accent!

Tell him the English bloke with the twin girls who solved his "I only have 1 high chair" problem by suggesting he begged one from the next door cafe recommended you - I don't think he or his staff will ever forget that......

Buzzy
Old Dec 15th 2006, 11:03 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Thats just not true. I'm as pale as they come and go out in summer doing the garden never got sun burn once, you just have to be sensible are cover up / wear sun cream etc.
Summer feels hot the first year or two but you soon acclimatise and start to moan when the mercury gets below 22 in winter

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
My own personal first hand experiences of Brisbane weather (and I have been there 3 times at different times of year, although not winter) is that to cope with it, people live in permanent semi-twilight and rarely go outside except for 5am - 7am and after night falls.

That is not the way I want to live.

Last edited by themerlin; Dec 15th 2006 at 11:07 am.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Thanks for that, I'll certainly look in on Baker the Baker when down that way next. I guess we all know true examples like Baker the Baker. 2 that spring to mind for me are:

Frank Seymour who was an optician in Aberdeen.
Jim Payne who was a dentist I knew in Melbourne.

OzTennis

I knew a Sergeant whose surname was Sergeant, you never knew if you where addressing him by rank or name.
Old May 14th 2007, 1:46 pm
Qualify in Sept!

mattyuk will become famous soon enough

great post buzzy, cheers
Old May 17th 2007, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Fenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for making my wife cry mate (shes from Melbourne) she loved the pictures especially the one of the trams, made her real home sick..luckily were heading back next month GREAT REPORT BY THE WAY
Old May 17th 2007, 10:36 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fenton
Thanks for making my wife cry mate (shes from Melbourne) she loved the pictures especially the one of the trams, made her real home sick..luckily were heading back next month GREAT REPORT BY THE WAY
Excellent. We leave the UK on June 1st, and arrive in Melbourne July 3rd. See you there.

Buzzy
Old May 17th 2007, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Fenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura about

I would have given you some Karma, but the stupid computer wouldnt let me
Old May 17th 2007, 10:38 am
Victorian Evangelist

I would have given you some Karma, but the stupid computer wouldnt let me
That's all right mate, I've got too much of it anyway.

Buzzy
Old May 17th 2007, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

that pic of the diners, the one on the left hand side was managed by one of our mates out in Oz, if I remember correctly its near little Bourke st isnt it?
Old May 17th 2007, 10:42 am
Victorian Evangelist

that pic of the diners, the one on the left hand side was managed by one of our mates out in Oz, if I remember correctly its near little Bourke st isnt it?
Well to answer your question I googled the name of one of the shops in the photo and it says its in Hardware Lane.

Buzzy
Old May 17th 2007, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Ah my wife has just appeared and told me its off Elizabeth Street..Hopefully see you in Melbourne sometime
Old May 17th 2007, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

Just read your post, which was great and very informative. The pictures were brilliant and I can't wait to get back there.

Dolly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.