Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne or Brisbane ??

Melbourne or Brisbane ??

Old Jan 12th 2011, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

mala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nice
Default Re: Melbourne or Brisbane ??

Originally Posted by Steve2009
You will probably need to show that you have savings to support yourself to get a rental without a job. .
about how much should that be ??
Old Jan 12th 2011, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mala
i am a developer for oracle e business suite actually .. sql, pl/sql, xml, d2k , report developer..
If you're an Oracle E-Business Suite developer then you really need to choose Melbourne. There is bugger all in Brisbane!

If you go to Brisbane, chances are you'll end up moving to either Melbourne or Sydney for work opportunities.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

10k minimum
Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
There is bugger all in Brisbane!

If you go to Brisbane, chances are you'll end up moving to either Melbourne or Sydney for work opportunities.
Isn't the Brisbane IT market divided into 2 locations; Gold Coast and Brisbane CBD. Wonder how people travel among home, Brisbane CBD, GC , Sunshine coast for job purposes. e.g. your clients may be divided among 3 cities and you may need to attend 3 meeting at different places in a day

At least in Melbourne all jobs are in the CBD which is superly connected
Old Jan 13th 2011, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say having at least 3 months rent + 1 month deposit in the bank might help. So if you are looking at $350/week for rent, that's already $6,000 minimum. You will have to add setting up costs (furniture, connection to utilities, etc.) and living expenses (food, travel, bills) for at least 3 months to that if you don't have a job when you arrive. I'd say the strict minimum to have in your bank account would be about $10,000 for any real estate agent to look at you if you don't have a job.

Good luck!
Old Jan 13th 2011, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
10k minimum
You beat me to it!
Old Jan 13th 2011, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
You beat me to it!
I've got a laconic style. Good that you explained it for the OP
Old Jan 13th 2011, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

mala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nice

thanks every one! i think i can manage over 10k so i guess i am safe ?? ???????
Old Jan 13th 2011, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

10k minimum

Isn't the Brisbane IT market divided into 2 locations; Gold Coast and Brisbane CBD. Wonder how people travel among home, Brisbane CBD, GC , Sunshine coast for job purposes. e.g. your clients may be divided among 3 cities and you may need to attend 3 meeting at different places in a day

Never heard of this being an issue Additional largish cities near by are usually a plus not a negative.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

At least in Melbourne all jobs are in the CBD which is superly connected
So what are those people doing that are working outside of the CBD?

Where does Geelong fit into the equation?
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
So what are those people doing that are working outside of the CBD?

Where does Geelong fit into the equation?
Geelong and Ballarat can be excluded as they aren't a part of Melbourne. Nearly 99% of Victoria's IT jobs are situated within 3x3 sq km area from St Kilda - CBD - Richmond which can travelled from any point to any point within 10 mins on public transport.
Can Sydney and Brisbane beat it Sydney too has lot of jobs on Northern Beaches side.. In case of Brisbane and Sydney jobs outside of CBD proximity are much more though. I guess 20% for Sydney and 30% for Brissie.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:41 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Never heard of this being an issue Additional largish cities near by are usually a plus not a negative.
Not seen many developer/analyst type positions that require Brisbane/GC travel regularly. There are some with occasional interstate/international travel but that is to be expected.

If you work some someone like the council I guess you could be expected to travel around their various offices.

Reminds me, must cast my eye over the job ads ...
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:44 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

In case of Brisbane and Sydney jobs outside of CBD proximity are much more though. I guess 20% for Sydney and 30% for Brissie.
I would doubt that very much.

I would imagine the figures are something like 90%/9%/1% for Brisbane / GC / Sunshine Coast. (That could be being generous to the Gold Coast).

I worked as a consultant in Brisbane for 4 years, working at client sites. In that time I went to the GC for 2 hours and the Sunshine Coast for 5 days.

As said, interstate travel is far more likely.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bcworld
I would doubt that very much.

I would imagine the figures are something like 90%/9%/1% for Brisbane / GC / Sunshine Coast. (That could be being generous to the Gold Coast).

I worked as a consultant in Brisbane for 4 years, working at client sites. In that time I went to the GC for 2 hours and the Sunshine Coast for 5 days.

As said, interstate travel is far more likely.
5 days ? was accomodation provided ?
Old Jan 13th 2011, 4:51 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

5 days ? was accomodation provided ?
No, it's typcially not far enough for overnight accomodation.

I was paid $600 in vehicle allowance though, despite using only 2 tanks of petrol...I was happy with that!
Old Jan 13th 2011, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Nearly 99% of Victoria's IT jobs are situated within 3x3 sq km area from St Kilda - CBD -
No they are not. I would say that the majority of the IT jobs are situated outside of the CBD.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.