Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne - best time to arrive?

Melbourne - best time to arrive?

Old Jan 16th 2008, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

WithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really nice
Smile Melbourne - best time to arrive?

When we emigrated to NZ we were pretty much restricted as to when we could go due to family. As a result we turned up at a really bad time to find a rental - although at least the weather was nice! However, this time we will have more freedom to choose the best time.

So when is the best or worse time of year for:

1) Finding rental
2) Job search (IT)
3) Weather
4) Settling children (7 & 5) into new school
5) Securing a childcare place
6) General vibe - stuff going on

WithIce x
Old Jan 17th 2008, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne - best time to arrive?

Possibly beginning of school year - Jan..but hot then?! We arrived in August ....got used to the heat slowly...managed to secure rental Ok and schools were happy 2 take kids mid-term. Good luck...go for it!
Old Jan 17th 2008, 6:26 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WithIce
When we emigrated to NZ we were pretty much restricted as to when we could go due to family. As a result we turned up at a really bad time to find a rental - although at least the weather was nice! However, this time we will have more freedom to choose the best time.

So when is the best or worse time of year for:

1) Finding rental
2) Job search (IT)
3) Weather
4) Settling children (7 & 5) into new school
5) Securing a childcare place
6) General vibe - stuff going on

WithIce x
Winter. Without a doubt. We arrived in July and it was so easy to find a rental and a job, the weather was about 15 degrees and sunny which meant you weren't traipsing between agents/interviews sweating like a pig - easier on the kids too. My main reasons for coming at that time were due to the end of the UK tax year and the start of the Oz one but that won't apply in your case. It's also a good time to come so that you're not competing with the main bunch of summer arrivals from the UK for houses, jobs etc. Then once you have your life organised and you are a bit settled, summer starts!

Buzzy
Old Jan 19th 2008, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

WithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really nice

Thanks guys, so 1 vote winter, 1 vote summer.

That's a good point about not having to compete, I s'pose the majority would try to arrive in summer so they can have back to back summers, whereas, it doesn't make a difference to us.

WithIce x
Old Jan 19th 2008, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Winter. Without a doubt. We arrived in July and it was so easy to find a rental and a job, the weather was about 15 degrees and sunny which meant you weren't traipsing between agents/interviews sweating like a pig - easier on the kids too. My main reasons for coming at that time were due to the end of the UK tax year and the start of the Oz one but that won't apply in your case. It's also a good time to come so that you're not competing with the main bunch of summer arrivals from the UK for houses, jobs etc. Then once you have your life organised and you are a bit settled, summer starts!

Buzzy
Not a bad idea - offsetting the winter weather - which is not as bad as people think. To be honest, I think it might not matter for some and school term dates might be more important (etc)

Having said that, I think people obsess with a lot of fluffy decisions (say wanting to arrive in summer) and then forget the most important thing is housing and income(!)
Old Jan 19th 2008, 8:13 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Not a bad idea - offsetting the winter weather - which is not as bad as people think. To be honest, I think it might not matter for some and school term dates might be more important (etc)

Having said that, I think people obsess with a lot of fluffy decisions (say wanting to arrive in summer) and then forget the most important thing is housing and income(!)
My decision was like Buzzy come in the winter, get things sorted and then enjoy the summer. With consideration for children I would now advise more towards the end of Autumn rather than early winter but ultimately consideration should be made for:

Children starting school in Feb (Dec/Jan could be a very long and lonely 2 months if they have not had a chance to make some friends before end of the school year)

Everybody really does go off for hols Dec/Jan so getting things done is alot harder during this timeframe.

Watch out for some of the big events ie
- The Grand Prix
- The Open
- The Melbourne Cup
- The Grand Final

For every person I have heard say they did not have a problem I have also heard they could not get a rental car (in the category they wanted), short term accomodation was booked out, they got hit with the seasonal loading.

As Badge says these are very small problems in the scheme of the move. Ultimately it just requires you to turn up, get off your arse (no offence intended) for a few weeks/months and get things going. Then you sit back and enjoy a very liveable city.