Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne... Is it Becoming More Unsafe??

Melbourne... Is it Becoming More Unsafe??

Old Mar 10th 2006, 9:52 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne... Is it Becoming More Unsafe??

Originally Posted by kiwichild
I think that all cities have areas that are shady to potentially 'no go' areas. Whenever I have moved to a new city I try to suss out the spots to avoid but don't get paranoid if I find I have to go there (say to buy a car).

I think the thing is to make sure you become aware of trouble areas and times that r more challenging (night time during weekends etc), and to become a bit streetsmart.

Don't get paranoid but practice safe methods like, dont walk down isolated streets late at night,stick where the crowds are. Park your car in a well lit area where people walk by or secure car park. Know before u go out at night(if drinking) where the local secure taxi stands are (ones that have a security guy on duty). Try to have others with u if u go out at night. Try not to ride trains, trams busues late at night by yourself. Buy and carry in ur purse some pepper (capsicum spray) its legal here.
If after all this u r still concerned: you can get a mobile (cell phone) with GPS and also carry a personal alarm to scare potential attackers off.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 9:56 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
The crime rate in OZ is falling, so Melbouren is becoming a safer place not a more dangerous place, most murders are domestic disputes or criminals killing other criminals like the recent mafia killings in Melbourne.
Have you got proof of this? It would be re-assuring to see the facts.

Cheers.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 10:09 am
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

And I thought the baseball bat swinging off my belt was going too far

But seriously, I'm originally from good old Brum - the home of the drive by shootings a few years ago and the home of those good old boys that support the Blues and Villa. Never felt safer.
(Though did seriously brick it the first time I saw a bunch of footie supporters in the city all wearing different team colours. Thought they were going to kick off but they were all friendly!)

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Buy and carry in ur purse some pepper (capsicum spray) its legal here.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 10:35 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I came from a little Scottish town, population of 6000, I can honestly say I feel safer walking through Melbourne city at night than my Scots toon.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 10:43 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bordy
I came from a little Scottish town, population of 6000, I can honestly say I feel safer walking through Melbourne city at night than my Scots toon.
I came from a country village in Cheshire...and also feel really safe here...no fear of walkig alone...day or night
Old Mar 10th 2006, 11:24 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
I came from a country village in Cheshire...and also feel really safe here...no fear of walkig alone...day or night
I only get scared when I know your out at night. :scared:

Old Mar 10th 2006, 11:34 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bordy
I only get scared when I know your out at night. :scared:

BOO !!!!
Old Mar 10th 2006, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

I would say I am a streetwise person you have to be coming from the East End of Newcastle LOL. I have worked in Belfast been to LA, London, Amsterdem for example and felt safe. I started this thread as I was suprised by the spate of violence in Melbourne and was just wandering how people felt about it over there. My interpretation was one of the things what made it such a great place was that it was a low crime city. I know its a large city and it goes on in every city (including my own), maybe it is just the press thing making it look worse that it is.
Anyway it hasn't dampned my excitement in any way as I cannot wait to get there!!
Old Mar 10th 2006, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mackinnon
Safe is a state of mind.

I feel safe in Glasgow, but then I can handle myself, so I feel safe in most places.
I come from Melbourne, live in Scotland, feel safe in Melbourne, don't feel safe in Glasgow! I'm always looking out for razor gangs and trying to avoid places with names like Ruchazie, Easterhouse, Drumchapel, Castlemilk etc. (no offence intended to anyone who comes from these areas but this is the Glasgow of legend). If I stop at the lights in Glasgow I'm looking around for potential carjackers and road ragers asking me which particular shade of green I'm waiting for! I jest of course but I do honestly not feel as safe there - must be a bit of the devil you know to this state of mind.

As said Melbourne has over 3.5 million people so on the basis that everywhere has a proportion of nutters it is to be expected. Avoid certain areas, particularly at night and all the usual advice, think before making eye contact with shifty looking characters, don't flash your wallet, look around at ATM's etc. One thing you won't be killed for in Australia is wearing your team's football colours.

A couple of the murders I know were perpetrated by people with a 'history of mental illness' (including the one near Scienceworks). No doubt Australia now has a policy like the UK of so called 'care in the community'. Call me cynical but I view this largely as a cost saving, wash the hands of looking after these people and turf them out on the streets exercise. In schools it's all about integration too - i.e. fewer resources required than when there are special schools or special classes with more individual help. But I digress.

I suppose to address the OP that Melbourne must be getting a little unsafer as it grows, pressures of modern life etc but I'd take my chances there rather than Baghdad or Port Moresby, recently voted the 2 most dangerous places in the world. It's not the place it was when I grew up but is anywhere getting safer (apart from the Big Apple with its zero tolerance etc?)

OzTennis

Last edited by OzTennis; Mar 10th 2006 at 1:38 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

Very well put Oz Tennis!
Old Mar 10th 2006, 4:26 pm
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 29palms
I have just been reading the AGE newspaper online and one of the headlines was that there has been an explosion of violence within the city recently involving knives. There was 4 murders this week alone around the city and an apparent number of unprovoked attacks as well.
I was reading the " Have your say " on the matter and the general comment was that the city is experiencing an upturn in incedents involving knives by gangs who want to protect themselves. Also a lot of comments were that people were starting to feel more unsafe than they used to and would rather
take the car short journeys to where they would once walk.
I know the media tends to hype things up a bit and it is a big city so these kinds of problems are expected as in the UK, but do people over there generally feel safe in Melbourne and its suberbs???
As it was voted the worlds most Liveable City a few years back I am sure nothing much could have changed in that time.
As I will be moving to Melbourne in May I was just a bit concerned that I was moving to a city where you have to watch where you are going or may feel uneasy in a lot of the more popular areas. Granted all big cities have problems but I was hoping that and thoughout (I am sure it is) Melbourne was generally a safe city.
How do people feel on this
I was reading a Tasmanian newspaper online today when I read this article, it's about a Tasmanian who was murdered this week in Melbourne, thought it would be relevant to this thread:

http://www.themercury.news.com.au/co...5E3462,00.html