Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne... Is it Becoming More Unsafe??

Melbourne... Is it Becoming More Unsafe??

Old Mar 9th 2006, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all
Default Melbourne... Is it Becoming More Unsafe??

I have just been reading the AGE newspaper online and one of the headlines was that there has been an explosion of violence within the city recently involving knives. There was 4 murders this week alone around the city and an apparent number of unprovoked attacks as well.
I was reading the " Have your say " on the matter and the general comment was that the city is experiencing an upturn in incedents involving knives by gangs who want to protect themselves. Also a lot of comments were that people were starting to feel more unsafe than they used to and would rather
take the car short journeys to where they would once walk.
I know the media tends to hype things up a bit and it is a big city so these kinds of problems are expected as in the UK, but do people over there generally feel safe in Melbourne and its suberbs???
As it was voted the worlds most Liveable City a few years back I am sure nothing much could have changed in that time.
As I will be moving to Melbourne in May I was just a bit concerned that I was moving to a city where you have to watch where you are going or may feel uneasy in a lot of the more popular areas. Granted all big cities have problems but I was hoping that and thoughout (I am sure it is) Melbourne was generally a safe city.
How do people feel on this
Old Mar 9th 2006, 10:55 am
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice
Default Re: Melbourne... Is it Becoming More Unsafe??

Get ready, for the Bulldust
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:33 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jib
Get ready, for the Bulldust
Would it not be reasonable to assume that if a place is safe any dramatic event ie a series of stabbings (being abnormal for the city) would reach the headlines?.

Sure there may be some no go areas in the future but isnt there in any city?
Old Mar 9th 2006, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 29palms
I have just been reading the AGE newspaper online and one of the headlines was that there has been an explosion of violence within the city recently involving knives. There was 4 murders this week alone around the city and an apparent number of unprovoked attacks as well.
I was reading the " Have your say " on the matter and the general comment was that the city is experiencing an upturn in incedents involving knives by gangs who want to protect themselves. Also a lot of comments were that people were starting to feel more unsafe than they used to and would rather
I know the media tends to hype things up a bit and it is a big city so these kinds of problems are expected as in the UK, but do people over there generally feel safe in Melbourne and its suberbs???
As it was voted the worlds most Liveable City a few years back I am sure nothing much could have changed in that time.
As I will be moving to Melbourne in May I was just a bit concerned that I was moving to a city where you have to watch where you are going or may feel uneasy in a lot of the more popular areas. Granted all big cities have problems but I was hoping that and thoughout (I am sure it is) Melbourne was generally a safe city.
Seems very safe compared to what I've read about the number of murders in Sydney over the past couple of months!
Old Mar 9th 2006, 5:36 pm
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Safe is a state of mind.

I feel safe in Glasgow, but then I can handle myself, so I feel safe in most places.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

Is there anyone Living in Melbourne with any comments on this??
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:05 pm

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mackinnon
Safe is a state of mind.

I feel safe in Glasgow, but then I can handle myself, so I feel safe in most places.
TANK
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:29 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Most of those stabbing murders were domestic disputes, someone stabbed his parents in laws to death after an argument, but one stabbing murder apeeared to be a random attack on some people on the street , l think the guy was mentally ill. The crime rate in Melbourne is less then Sydney.
There are around 250 murders a year in OZ out of a population of 20 million.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:33 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...9-1243,00.html

G
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:37 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Melbourne... Is it Becoming More Unsafe??

Yes, in fact it was all so terribly unsafe that everybody left and moved to the 'burbs.

Melbourne has been completely emptied of human life.

Which, ironically, means that it is now safe again.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

It's true that there has been a spate of knife attacks in the past fortnight but on the whole they are apparently down on last year. I certainly don't feel unsafe in Melbourne and would (and have) walked the streets alone. My husband and I often walk around at night. I wouldn't walk alone at night as a woman but I wouldn't do that anywhere.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 10:02 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

The crime rate in OZ is falling, so Melbouren is becoming a safer place not a more dangerous place, most murders are domestic disputes or criminals killing other criminals like the recent mafia killings in Melbourne.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up in Geelong til 1988, lived in Melb for 4 years (uni/work) then went to sydney for 6 yrs. I do not believe that there has been any significant change in the crime-rate - but this is obviously based on online papers i read (daily) in the uk.

For example...try oogling Hoddle street massacre.

ok, so a one off?
then again a couple of years later, some bloke did a similar thing in sydney (westfield shopping mall - think it was bankstown but cant remember).

There were always little gang stabbings/murders happening in the vietnamese community in Melb and sydney, and drive-by shootings in sydney with same group of people (and possibly other south east asians).

The most interesting thing in recent yrs is that the melb-based mafia are being caught...either that or becoming dead.

I agree with what someone else said - safety is a state of mind.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice
Smile Re: Melbourne... Is it Becoming More Unsafe??

Like anywhere there are "certain" area's I'd feel uncomfortable walking around at night, but generally the city and burbs are not as bad as most UK cities.

Time for my tea break (again)!
Old Mar 10th 2006, 9:51 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

I think that all cities have areas that are shady to potentially 'no go' areas. Whenever I have moved to a new city I try to suss out the spots to avoid but don't get paranoid if I find I have to go there (say to buy a car).

I think the thing is to make sure you become aware of trouble areas and times that r more challenging (night time during weekends etc), and to become a bit streetsmart.

Don't get paranoid but practice safe methods like, dont walk down isolated streets late at night,stick where the crowds are. Park your car in a well lit area where people walk by or secure car park. Know before u go out at night(if drinking) where the local secure taxi stands are (ones that have a security guy on duty). Try to have others with u if u go out at night. Try not to ride trains, trams busues late at night by yourself. Buy and carry in ur purse some pepper (capsicum spray) its legal here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.