Melbourne areas

Old Dec 21st 2005, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne areas

Originally Posted by fireeater
Newport borders on Williamstown, but is expensive, mainly due to the industry there. It's ok, though and still convenient for Williamstown and the CBD. It depends which area of Newport you're talking about, as the residential areas near Williamstown are no different from Willy itself. At the Newport train station end it's a bit less desirable, but to me it still seemed ok. I think Yarraville is another underrated suburb, it's centre is great with good pubs and cafes and it is a lot cheaper than Williamstown. You're 10 minutes from the CBD by train and 10 minues from Williamstown beach/shops by car. And if you're into Asian food, then you have Footscray 5 minutes down the train line.
Yes, agree entirely with your assessment. Yarraville has been 'gentrified' ('pinkified' to a certain extent like Daylesford) and has changed out of all recognition from the Yarraville I knew growing up. Footscray has gone downhill a lot but has recovered a bit of late as 'the problem' has been moved elsewhere to some extent. It has a great footy team though! In real estate terminology there has been a ripple effect from Williamstown which has spread out to surrounding suburbs.

OzTennis
Old Dec 21st 2005, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Williamstown for a year and moved to be nearer work. It was a great starting place, though, as it's convenient for the CBD, has fantastic bayside walks and views of the CBD and is close to the main freeway heading to the Great Ocean Road (Geelong is about 45 minutes drive away). If my job wasn't based around Caulfield I would have found no need to move. Williamstown has a vibrant heart in Nelson Place with loads of cafes and restaurants and a local feel at the Douglas Parade/Ferguson Street shops.
There you go, the move was to be nearer the action of work.

OzTennis
Old Dec 21st 2005, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=shazzer]

Cool, thanks for all the replies. Williamstown definately sounds like our kind of place. The market was one of the things that is attracting us, so I guess I can't complain if it is soooo good that loads of tourists go, ... I will take that as a good point. Will also look at Yarraville ... that wasn't a suburb I had heard of...

Thanks a lot
Shazzer
The craft market takes place in Commonwealth Reserve which is alongside Gem Pier and the tennis club - some images taken early on market day, you'll see them setting up.

OzTennis
Attached Thumbnails Melbourne areas-pict0713.jpg   Melbourne areas-pict0718.jpg   Melbourne areas-pict0736.jpg  
Old Dec 21st 2005, 9:20 am
Just Joined

shazzer is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=OzTennis]
Originally Posted by shazzer

The craft market takes place in Commonwealth Reserve which is alongside Gem Pier and the tennis club - some images taken early on market day, you'll see them setting up.

OzTennis
Excellent thanks ... now I am happy dreaming.

Owe you a pint when we finally get there...
Old Dec 21st 2005, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Farmers market takes place on The Strand (John Morley Reserve) and you'd be hard pressed to find a market with a better view. I've also added one of the main shopping strips (Ferguson St) and the main swimming beach. All images taken this July.

OzTennis
Attached Thumbnails Melbourne areas-pict1095.jpg   Melbourne areas-pict1552.jpg   Melbourne areas-pict0697.jpg  
Old Dec 21st 2005, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Be careful which suburb you choose, it can affect your weight!

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...032057477.html

OzTennis
Old Dec 21st 2005, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

DJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant future

Buzzy

I don't know about any secondary schools that do this, but having a child fluent in a 2nd language when leaving primary school gives them a great start. As well as the linguistic benefits, there is the benefit of them having learnt to think in a different way. Below is the link to CPS.

Our daughter starts in the New Year. They will start kids after age 5, but the older they get the harder it is for them to slot into the bilingual teaching. I think the maximum age they accept is 8 years, but you could check with the school.

http://www.camberwellps.vic.edu.au/

DJMA

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hi, that sounds very interesting indeed. I was concerned about our kids not learning 2 languages downunder, when we lived in NZ the only second language available was Maori which was a bit limiting, the attitude of the Kiwis was "why learn a 2nd language, everyone in NZ speaks English" which translates as "we're a tiny isolated cut-off island and intend to stay that way". Can you give me some more info on Camberwell? Is there a secondary school which continues that tradition?

Thanks

Buzzy
Old Dec 21st 2005, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Some more images just in case anyone finds them interesting.

OzTennis
Attached Thumbnails Melbourne areas-geoffs-1-031.jpg   Melbourne areas-geoffs-1-040.jpg   Melbourne areas-geoffs-1-046.jpg   Melbourne areas-geoffs-1-058.jpg   Melbourne areas-geoffs-1-135.jpg  

Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice

Thanks to everyone for replies.

Special thanks to Oz tennis for the pics, which have really openened my eyes (and options!!).

Where abouts is the Melbourne Storm ground?

Cheers,

Martin
Old Dec 21st 2005, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

[QUOTE=OzTennis]
Originally Posted by Neil S

There are 2 markets in Williamstown - a farmers market and a craft market. Each is held on one Sunday a month so 2 days a month shouldn't be a problem. Yes, the Westgate Bridge can get busy during peak times but there are 4 train stations including Newport and many commute the 20 mins by train if a bit of traffic on the bridge is a problem. Getting into the city on the other side is no easy thing though and traffic in the inner and eastern suburbs is a nightmare compared to Williamstown.

OzTennis
I've been to Williamstown twice in the 16 months here and the Melbourne Road was pretty slow both times. Both times were weekend days, so I just presumed it might be worse at peak hour. Maybe not?

By the way, I used the Monash Freeway every weekday for three months and agree that the west side is nothing compared to the Melbourne equiv of the M25!
Old Dec 21st 2005, 11:23 pm

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice

Originally Posted by OzTennis
There you go, the move was to be nearer the action of work.

OzTennis

We loved Williamstown, and feel lucky to have lived there for a year. It is a bit quiet compared to where we've moved to, but that doesn't make it any worse. You could never get enough of the views across the bay, by day or night.

I think a lot of people want to move around a bit to get the feel of certain areas, but many don't try the west for some reason. We really had to move so we decided to give somewhere else a go, and it made sense to move nearer to work.

Would still be happy to come over and meet you for a drink in Willy when you're next in oz.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 11:44 pm

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wigan Warrior
Thanks to everyone for replies.

Special thanks to Oz tennis for the pics, which have really openened my eyes (and options!!).

Where abouts is the Melbourne Storm ground?

Cheers,

Martin
Melbourne Storm play at Olympic Park, which is near to the Rod Laver Arena, and the MCG. Last year it cost $16 to see a game....not sure what the season tickets cost
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 6:55 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Melbourne areas

Originally Posted by DJMA
Buzzy

I don't know about any secondary schools that do this, but having a child fluent in a 2nd language when leaving primary school gives them a great start. As well as the linguistic benefits, there is the benefit of them having learnt to think in a different way. Below is the link to CPS.

Our daughter starts in the New Year. They will start kids after age 5, but the older they get the harder it is for them to slot into the bilingual teaching. I think the maximum age they accept is 8 years, but you could check with the school.

http://www.camberwellps.vic.edu.au/

DJMA
Merci pour le site-web! Tres interessant!

A la tienne!

Buzzy.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice

Thanks for all the info. Very much appreciated.

Martin
Old Dec 28th 2005, 7:57 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I was concerned about our kids not learning 2 languages downunder
And they were going to learn 2 languages in UK ? Well thats a little unfair I still recall how to say Lumpi is my dog in German

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.