Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

MELBOURNE OR ADELAIDE

MELBOURNE OR ADELAIDE

Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MELBOURNE OR ADELAIDE

Originally Posted by mr mover
Its simple if you, Work to live ,or Live for work go to Melbourne, if you want a life then Adelaide has a lot more to offer...........mm
That's not always true - my OH works far less hours here, we have beautiful surroundings with an abundance of facilities, events, sporting options etc close by and 45 mins from the city with an artrs, events, sports and festivals programme to die for
Old Apr 8th 2008, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

mmm...... and depends on the kind of life you are after!
Old Apr 8th 2008, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

I can understand the Sydney V Melbourne rivalry as both these cities have just as much going for them as each other, however I find it amazing that some Adelaide people actually believe Adelaide with a population of only 1 million can compare to a world class city such as Melb with 4 million people.

Adelaide is nothing more than a very large regional town, with a couple of nice beaches. You never hear of anyone in AUS, for good reason, upping sticks and relocating to Adelaide of all places.

Melbourne, however is a world class city with excellent work prospects, culture, arts, sport etc. Melb is full of people from Adelaide who have moved looking for better opportunities and a real city vibe.

Adelaide and Melbourne should never be used in the same sentence. They're chalk and cheese. They may have the same weather and both idolise AFL but that's about where the comparisons end.

I also think it's debatable whether Adelaide has a better lifestyle. The lifestyle may be quiter (due to the smaller population and being a regional town) however that doesn't necessarily make it better as such.

Once again, bring on the SYDNEY V MELB debates. It's like stepping out of a Ferrari in to another Ferrari. However, comparing Melb to Adelaide is like stepping out of a Ferrari in to a Toyota Camry with the grandpas hat on the rear shelf.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 3:08 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: MELBOURNE OR ADELAIDE

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
Once again, bring on the SYDNEY V MELB debates. It's like stepping out of a Ferrari in to another Ferrari. However, comparing Melb to Adelaide is like stepping out of a Ferrari in to a Toyota Camry with the grandpas hat on the rear shelf.
Actually Melbourne is more like a Bentley than a Ferrari. Classy, comfortable, refined. Sydney as a Ferrari is right. Flashy, expensive, show-off.

Buzzy
Old Apr 8th 2008, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Actually Melbourne is more like a Bentley than a Ferrari. Classy, comfortable, refined. Sydney as a Ferrari is right. Flashy, expensive, show-off.

Buzzy
Just don't throw me in a Camry The repayments may be less but it's cheap, boring, slow and predictable - much like Adelaide.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Surely Adelaide is an old Holden ute with a cattle dog barking in the back???
Old Apr 8th 2008, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

You never hear of anyone in AUS, for good reason, upping sticks and relocating to Adelaide of all places.
Shouldn't you be busy looking for a QLD versus Perth thread to stir up instead?

I know lots of people that have relocated from other parts of Australia to SA. My driving instructor has lived in every city and says that Adelaide is the best city in Australia. He's a true blue born and bred Queenslander (he's actually originally from the Gold Coast ) - it's all about personal choice at the end of the day.

I think it says a lot for BOTH places that the people who actually live in them are so passionate about the place they choose live in that they are arguing about which is better.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 5:00 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Shouldn't you be busy looking for a QLD versus Perth thread to stir up instead?

I know lots of people that have relocated from other parts of Australia to SA. My driving instructor has lived in every city and says that Adelaide is the best city in Australia. He's a true blue born and bred Queenslander (he's actually originally from the Gold Coast ) - it's all about personal choice at the end of the day.

I think it says a lot for BOTH places that the people who actually live in them are so passionate about the place they choose live in that they are arguing about which is better.
Melbourne and Adelaide tend to attract similar minded people

Quite happy too promote both .... at the end, its the individuals choice and good luck what ever they choose.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Kristo has a spectacular aura aboutKristo has a spectacular aura aboutKristo has a spectacular aura about

I can understand the Sydney V Melbourne rivalry as both these cities have just as much going for them as each other, however I find it amazing that some Adelaide people actually believe Adelaide with a population of only 1 million can compare to a world class city such as Melb with 4 million people.

Adelaide is nothing more than a very large regional town, with a couple of nice beaches. You never hear of anyone in AUS, for good reason, upping sticks and relocating to Adelaide of all places.

Melbourne, however is a world class city with excellent work prospects, culture, arts, sport etc. Melb is full of people from Adelaide who have moved looking for better opportunities and a real city vibe.

Adelaide and Melbourne should never be used in the same sentence. They're chalk and cheese. They may have the same weather and both idolise AFL but that's about where the comparisons end.

I also think it's debatable whether Adelaide has a better lifestyle. The lifestyle may be quiter (due to the smaller population and being a regional town) however that doesn't necessarily make it better as such.

I am still waiting with bated breath for your explanation as to exactly why Melbourne is so much more cultured than Adelaide.

I ask this in no way to disrespect Melbourne's achievements, but you choose to criticise Adelaide, without quailifying your statements regarding culture. Please Potato_Potato, in exactly what ways is Melbourne *more* cultured than Adelaide?
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:33 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Potato_potato;6180883]I can understand the Sydney V Melbourne rivalry as both these cities have just as much going for them as each other, however I find it amazing that some Adelaide people actually believe Adelaide with a population of only 1 million can compare to a world class city such as Melb with 4 million people.

What do you think keeps me in a job?..............mm
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:45 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

You're still sticking with Adelaide then ????