Melbourne 2003

Old Feb 2nd 2003, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Melbourne 2003

Hi there

I would like to hear from people who are either planning to or indeed have already migrated to Melbourne to share ideas/tips/experiences.

My wife and I along with our two young sons have applied last October and are waiting to hear. Just come back from an awesome exploratory 2 week trip.

Kind regards

Terry
Old Feb 3rd 2003, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

daler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Melbourne 2003

Originally posted by terryg
Hi there

I would like to hear from people who are either planning to or indeed have already migrated to Melbourne to share ideas/tips/experiences.

My wife and I along with our two young sons have applied last October and are waiting to hear. Just come back from an awesome exploratory 2 week trip.

Kind regards

Terry

Terry,

I migrated in December, basically did a year backpacking fell in love with a melbourne girl, getting married next month. and here I am. Where do I start?

I am living in Bentleigh, SE suburbs, apparently the best area to live. Melbourne is great if you like your sport, cricket, Aussie rules, Grand Prix, all Melburnians seem to love sport, and being a manchester lad this helps. Having been to all major cities on my travels, I think Melbourne has the most to offer. I see Sydney as London and Melbourne as Manchester (with sun!). Very cosmopolitan always somethign going on, the weather can be changeable, but this will probably help you settle in.

Your money seems to go further socially and with things like food bills and electricity etc, and the lifestyle is far more relaxed even at work. I am still after 2 months work the typical Brit running around the office at 100mph in 35 degree heat, which you just don't do.

For yourself with kids, it will be great. To give you an idea I finished work tonight had tea and went for a swim in the local outdoor pool. Bliss.

You will miss family and friends (and I miss watching Bury fc...sometimes) but every time you call home which costs less than a pound for half an hour they will tell you how cold and miserable things are, which gives you a boost.

And no matter what anyone says, xmas in the sun is not the same and never will be...just not magical in the heat, so you will miss that.

Let me know of any specific pointers you need a hand with

Cheers

Dale [email protected]
Old Feb 4th 2003, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Ben_38 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

Kind regards

Terry
Terry,

Moved to Dandenong Ranges (about 40 mins from Melbourne) in January. Came here on a 457 IE visa. Melbourne area has such a variety of different environments such as vineyards, beach, forest and City, all close together. Great place. Will try to answer any questions you have
Old Feb 4th 2003, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

hibee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

Kind regards

Terry
Hi Terry ,
I emigrated in october 2002 and landed in a place called Geelong which is about an hours drive from Melbourne,
A lovely city on the sea, very up and coming , beautiful scenary right down the Great Ocean Rd , great surfing , beaches, eateries
Torquay is a place 15 mins away which is great for surfing , holds the anual championships at a place called Bells Beach, the waves are amazing if you like that sort of thing

But like anywhere its what you make it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We as a family have settled well here, kids are both at secondary school and love it ( Belmont High ) which has a good name
. We have met lots of freindly people and have only side most of the positive sides.
Like anywhere there are bad areas to watch out for . But if you have someone who lives here to advise you then that is definately half the battle.

My Wife has been the one who is Homesick , but when she phones home and hears about the weather in Scotland and turns round and has another beer under the pergola then that cheers her up,.

If i can advise in any way please do not hesitate to get in touch .
as i have been in the same boat myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We had relatives to come to which is a bonus. Do You ?????

Allan Collet who subscribes to this forum ( go matilda) lives in the area and recommended it to me.
I am not to sure about all the Melbourne Suburbs as i personally prefer to stay away from the City.

Regards
Jamie.
Old Feb 4th 2003, 10:38 pm
Retired *********

pread is an unknown quantity at this point

Ben,

Whereabouts are you ? We're currently renting in Glen Waverley, although we're not convinced we'd buy here. We're interested in moving out towards the Dandenongs, places we've though about are Belgrave, Lysterfield, Upwey, Narre Warren East etc.

Cheers,
Paul.

Originally posted by Ben_38
Terry,

Moved to Dandenong Ranges (about 40 mins from Melbourne) in January. Came here on a 457 IE visa. Melbourne area has such a variety of different environments such as vineyards, beach, forest and City, all close together. Great place. Will try to answer any questions you have