Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Melbourne 10 days in

Melbourne 10 days in

Old Jun 9th 2004, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

helenmaine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Melbourne 10 days in

We have been here since last sunday and everything has been going better than I could have imagined. First off, we LOVE Melbourne. After being in the sticks of Maine for 2 years the choice of bars, cafes and restaurants is just amazing. Food in the markets is so cheap and good, the city is clean, people are friendly and it is so easy to get around on the tram & train. And what's all this talk of Melbourne's weather being crap? OK, it's raining today but we have been able to eat outside most days this week, even in the evenings when the bars and cafes have these great heater things going.

We found a house to live in after just under a week of looking. It is in Kensington, to the North of the city and on both the train and tram lines. We did check out Williamstown (thanks OT!) but it was a bit too far for us. Looking for a flat was the only difficult thing to do on foot as it was often a long walk between properties, but there are a lot available. We had no problem getting the house, although my hubby is working so this obviously helped and we brought references with us which also sped up the process. They have this great system for connecting the utlilities where one comapny (connect Now) just call you up and organise it all which is a lot less hassle. We are able to get broadband cable too for around $50 a month and a 50 installation fee after rebates which seems like a really good deal to me.

In our first week, in addition to possums and parrots, we saw wild kangeroos and koalas when we went to visit friends who
live outside the city - very cool!!

I have just come back from a trip to the good guys to look at fridges/washing machines and should be able to get a good deal. There are lots of bargains about and I have just asked lots of people where the best place to go is. Actually, more often than not people offer up the information (the advantage of travelling on the tram I suppose).

The info that I got from this site has been invaluable so cheers and good luck to all of you who are waiting to come here. It's worth the wait!

Cheers Helen-notinmaineanymore

Old Jun 9th 2004, 6:01 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Glad your settling in well Helen, we have been pretty lucky with the weather so far ( apart from today ) Look forward to seeing you at next Ex Pats meet.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 9:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Melbourne 10 days in

Originally posted by helenmaine
We have been here since last sunday and everything has been going better than I could have imagined. First off, we LOVE Melbourne. After being in the sticks of Maine for 2 years the choice of bars, cafes and restaurants is just amazing. Food in the markets is so cheap and good, the city is clean, people are friendly and it is so easy to get around on the tram & train. And what's all this talk of Melbourne's weather being crap? OK, it's raining today but we have been able to eat outside most days this week, even in the evenings when the bars and cafes have these great heater things going.

We found a house to live in after just under a week of looking. It is in Kensington, to the North of the city and on both the train and tram lines. We did check out Williamstown (thanks OT!) but it was a bit too far for us. Looking for a flat was the only difficult thing to do on foot as it was often a long walk between properties, but there are a lot available. We had no problem getting the house, although my hubby is working so this obviously helped and we brought references with us which also sped up the process. They have this great system for connecting the utlilities where one comapny (connect Now) just call you up and organise it all which is a lot less hassle. We are able to get broadband cable too for around $50 a month and a 50 installation fee after rebates which seems like a really good deal to me.

In our first week, in addition to possums and parrots, we saw wild kangeroos and koalas when we went to visit friends who

I have just come back from a trip to the good guys to look at fridges/washing machines and should be able to get a good deal. There are lots of bargains about and I have just asked lots of people where the best place to go is. Actually, more often than not people offer up the information (the advantage of travelling on the tram I suppose).

The info that I got from this site has been invaluable so cheers and good luck to all of you who are waiting to come here. It's worth the wait!

Its great to hear good news. Hope it stays that way for the rest of your natural!!
Old Jun 9th 2004, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

OK, it's raining today but we have been able to eat outside most days this week, even in the evenings when the bars and cafes have these great heater things going.
These would be the great heater things that are causing all the fuss in the UK at the moment, because they are so unbelievable inefficient and are causing global warming, greenhouse gases etc.

From Daily Mirror:
"1. GAS-POWERED PATIO HEATERS

Patio heaters are possibly the most environmentally unfriendly objects on the planet.

Almost all the heat they generate disperses instantly into the atmosphere, so they are incredibly inefficient.

Using a standard 13kg canister of natural gas, outdoor heaters will warm an area of up to 25sq metres for 12 hours.

A gas fire can heat an equivalent area indoors with the same canister for 10 times longer."

Still at least you get to sit outside

JTL
Old Jun 9th 2004, 9:44 am
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Hey, welcome back to the madhouse Helenvictoria! Glad to hear you're loving Melbourne.

JTL, I totally agree about the heaters. Horribly embarrassing things. (Not that I would normally use the Daily Mirror as reference material!) I think their prevalence in Melbourne must be the Melburnians' way of compensating for a cooler climate than any other major Aussie city. (Not knocking Melbourne, should be lapping it up in the not-too-distant future!)
Old Jun 9th 2004, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Helen

It's very nice to hear from you and to see that you and hubby have settled in so well and have found life to your liking.

Kensington was 'yuppified' in the last 10 to 15 years. The proximity to the city and the old terraced houses attracted 'new money'. They also built a lot of new townhouses and so on where the old saleyards (livestock) used to be around Racecourse Rd (a friend's daughter and husband bought one of them so I know the area quite well).

You won't be near South Kensington station on the Williamstown/Werribee line but must be near Macaulay or Kensington stations? Hubby is close to Melbourne Uni and I fully appreciate why 'Willy' might be too far out for you.

There are meant to be some really good eating establishments in Kensington and North Melbourne so it will take you a while to eat your way through them without going further afield!

OzTennis
Old Jun 9th 2004, 1:39 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Nice one, Helen! Very glad to hear you all like it - was v impressed myself when we did our validation visit the other week. Have decided I like it even more than Boston MA

We'll be over in Melbourne before long ourselves - end July-ish.

Hope to see you & family at an Expats meet up sometime!

Cheers
Anya.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Helen
good to hear your news re- settling into Melb.

I made do with a lovely parcel of goodies from the Aussie shop instead of a visa to oz - for now anyway- H.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 3:54 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Helen,

Really glad to see you're settling in OK. We're moving to Melbourne as well but for us it seems such a long way off!!

Keep the posts coming

D D
Old Jun 9th 2004, 4:24 pm
Good news everyone...

davidclifford is an unknown quantity at this point

We are going to Melbourne early in 2005 and now I've got the visa I'm starting to worry if I'd like it in Oz or not as I've never been before and the wife only lived in Brisbane for 8 years, but this post has realy cheered me up and has me wishing that I could go a lot sooner.

Keeps us informed of your progress.

Dave
Old Jun 9th 2004, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by davidclifford
We are going to Melbourne early in 2005 and now I've got the visa I'm starting to worry if I'd like it in Oz or not as I've never been before and the wife only lived in Brisbane for 8 years, but this post has realy cheered me up and has me wishing that I could go a lot sooner.

Keeps us informed of your progress.

Dave
Ahhhh another Woking escapee- I hope you enjoy Melbourne
I've sent you a pm
Old Jun 9th 2004, 10:51 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by davidclifford
We are going to Melbourne early in 2005 and now I've got the visa I'm starting to worry if I'd like it in Oz or not...
It's ok, if you don't like it you can always come back! (Or move on somewhere else; the first major upheaval is always the most daunting. Or so I' m told.)