Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Meeting Half Way

Meeting Half Way

Old Jul 20th 2008, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Meeting Half Way

Hi,

I think I read a thread on here from an expat living in Oz who sometimes meets UK family & friends in Dubai for a holiday.

It got me thinking.

If you're missing your family & friends in the UK then meet them in Dubai for a quick holiday-it's cheaper than flying all the way back to the UK from Oz, you only have to take a week off work rather than the 3 weeks you would need to go back to the UK and it's easy for people from the UK to fly to Dubai.

So I just wondered if anyone had done this or does this on a regular (ish) basis?

How much does it cost for a return ticket from Brisbane to Dubai?
How long is the flight?

Also, what other possible destinations are there that are kind of half way between Oz and UK? Thailand? America? (Sorry, my geography is POOR!)

I'm just hoping its achieveable & realistic - it has cheered me & my mum up no end as we will miss each other so much when I move to Oz. She will be coming out to Oz every year hopefully but the thought of also meeting her once a year in Dubai or Thailand means we don't have to go as long beteen seeing each other.

Thanks
Kelly
Old Jul 20th 2008, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

skiggsy is a jewel in the roughskiggsy is a jewel in the roughskiggsy is a jewel in the roughskiggsy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Meeting Half Way

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
Hi,

I think I read a thread on here from an expat living in Oz who sometimes meets UK family & friends in Dubai for a holiday.

It got me thinking.

If you're missing your family & friends in the UK then meet them in Dubai for a quick holiday-it's cheaper than flying all the way back to the UK from Oz, you only have to take a week off work rather than the 3 weeks you would need to go back to the UK and it's easy for people from the UK to fly to Dubai.

So I just wondered if anyone had done this or does this on a regular (ish) basis?

How long is the flight?

Also, what other possible destinations are there that are kind of half way between Oz and UK? Thailand? America? (Sorry, my geography is POOR!)

I'm just hoping its achieveable & realistic - it has cheered me & my mum up no end as we will miss each other so much when I move to Oz. She will be coming out to Oz every year hopefully but the thought of also meeting her once a year in Dubai or Thailand means we don't have to go as long beteen seeing each other.

Thanks
Kelly
Hi Kelly,

I suppose the usual routes are Singapore, Bangkok & Dubai. Also, i would say Hong Kong or even LA or Japan.

Good Luck
Suzanne
Old Jul 20th 2008, 6:24 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
Hi,

It got me thinking.

How long is the flight?

Thanks
Kelly

We are going to meet family in Sri Lanka. My husband is from there originally but it is a holiday for my family and we get to see most of his family too while getting onto some great beaches.

Jo
Old Jul 21st 2008, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

achanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really nice

Thats a great idea, we are thinking of the same thing, although being in Canada, its not so much of an issue, but when you meet half way everyone is on holiday so you all get to spend quality time together instead of working, or accomodating guests at home.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys, lots of nice places to meet up! Never thought of Sri Lanka but now I have I like the idea....! X
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 7:17 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Sri Lanka is a beautiful place. I am biased as I am married to a Sri Lankan. Visited many times and never been disappointed. I know you can fly Oz to Sri Lanka via singapore with Singapore airlines as our best man flew over for the wedding from Melbourne.

Jo
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

seat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to all

Mauritious (sp) sounds a good half way point as well!
Old Jul 24th 2008, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yep, like the sound of that too! Who needs boring old Europe to holiday in eh? If you move to Oz you can have all these exciting destinations to meet up with family in! X
Old Jul 27th 2008, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

LA or Hawaii seem possibilities!