Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Meet n Greet Adelaide

Meet n Greet Adelaide

Old Mar 24th 2003, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Meet n Greet Adelaide

Just wondering if anyone has used the Meet n Greet service in Adelaide. I am particularly interested in hearing what the accommodation is like, I understand you can take advantage of it for about 3 months, does anyone know how much it costs?

Any advice gratefully received!
Old Mar 24th 2003, 6:18 pm
Tez
Forum Regular

Tez is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
The meet and greet service is only applicable to migrants going to S.Aus,which is good news.But the accomodation they can provide is not very nice by all accounts,its generally in the poorer areas,or heaverly urbanised areas of the city.I remember someone who posted a thread on here that said that the greeter they had could hardly say a word of english and that they found it a waste of time.Still im sure that there are good experiences out there re this service.Have you tried putting a heading in the search field,you may get several posts relating to the meet and greet service.
Heading out to Adelaide early may,wife has just come back and loves it there,i dont personally think that its worth having the service they provide but thats our personel opinion,hope this helps ...........Tez
Old Mar 24th 2003, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

My friends are a couple of the people who are in the meet and greet program in Adelaide we used them when on holiday, I wasn't aware that they gave you accomodation ? if we are talking about the same thing, as these people are volunteers and help you with places to go, or what things your need they can point you in the right direction, I thought that was the only service? I shall speak to them and find out?

I found the service great and would highly recommend them.
Old Mar 24th 2003, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

there are 'greeters' -of which there's a poster called malcy on this site
he's a geordie who's lived there for 30+yrs..I've been in contact with him for several months and he seems a really good guy..

so if you want to know about them ask him (he's posted a couple of times offering information about the 'greeter' service)

however the accomodation is for 3 months at a reduced rate but i understand you can ask for a particular area and they will allocate if available..as for the quality i can't say...

i think the SA should know you don't think the service is much cop as the trumpet it as their usp..

cheers

richard
Old Mar 25th 2003, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Shellypuss arrived on Saturday and went into the accom, so I am waiting to hear from her as to what it is like. Come on Shelly - get online!!

Mash.....

Originally posted by r.bartlett
there are 'greeters' -of which there's a poster called malcy on this site
he's a geordie who's lived there for 30+yrs..I've been in contact with him for several months and he seems a really good guy..

so if you want to know about them ask him (he's posted a couple of times offering information about the 'greeter' service)

however the accomodation is for 3 months at a reduced rate but i understand you can ask for a particular area and they will allocate if available..as for the quality i can't say...

i think the SA should know you don't think the service is much cop as the trumpet it as their usp..

cheers

richard
Old Mar 25th 2003, 11:10 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

This is one of malcy's posts:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=140228

Peter

Originally posted by r.bartlett
there are 'greeters' -of which there's a poster called malcy on this site he's a geordie who's lived there for 30+yrs..I've been in contact with him for several months and he seems a really good guy..

Old Mar 26th 2003, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Bones is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi jamesy,

we used the meet and greet service and the on-arrival accommodation when we arrived last August.

We were met at the airport by a lovely couple who were waiting with a large trolley and taxi's stood by to take us to our accommodation.

After they paid the taxi's (all part of the service) they took me to the nearest shopping mall to buy the essentials while the wife and kids explored our temporary home. They had a large folder which they left with us explaining everything from Tax File Numbers to best places to shop, and then gave us their contact details for any extra help. They visited us after a few days to see how we were getting on, and clarified some points that didn't sink in first time around because of jet-lag. We found them to be really helpful, however we have met other people here who were not so lucky with the people who met them!

Regarding the accommodation, it is basic but ours was clean and ok for the time we planned to stay there. It was in a suburb called Oaklands Park which is a perfectly nice Adelaide suburb (people in Adelaide sometimes exagerate about how bad certain suburbs are, especially the ones they don't live in!)
The housing is all South Australian Housing Trust (SAHT) so you may get a house or unit with other SAHT properties around you, and, obviously, these are tenanted by less well-off families, so this is maybe what Tez is talking about, personally I don't have a problem with this but it probably depends on your background.
The rent was $220 a fortnight which included all utilities for our 3 bedroom house, very reasonable!
We stayed for just over a month before moving to Happy Valley.

Overall our impressions were that both services were really useful, and took a lot of stress out of the move, especially having 2 young kids. It gave us time to do all the necessary admin in the first 2 weeks of arrival with the back up of a friendly couple to guide us if needed.

Hope this is useful, good luck with the move to all of you, Adelaide is just great you will love it!!

Pete
Old Mar 26th 2003, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Jamesy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bones
Hi jamesy,

we used the meet and greet service and the on-arrival accommodation when we arrived last August.

We were met at the airport by a lovely couple who were waiting with a large trolley and taxi's stood by to take us to our accommodation.

After they paid the taxi's (all part of the service) they took me to the nearest shopping mall to buy the essentials while the wife and kids explored our temporary home. They had a large folder which they left with us explaining everything from Tax File Numbers to best places to shop, and then gave us their contact details for any extra help. They visited us after a few days to see how we were getting on, and clarified some points that didn't sink in first time around because of jet-lag. We found them to be really helpful, however we have met other people here who were not so lucky with the people who met them!

Regarding the accommodation, it is basic but ours was clean and ok for the time we planned to stay there. It was in a suburb called Oaklands Park which is a perfectly nice Adelaide suburb (people in Adelaide sometimes exagerate about how bad certain suburbs are, especially the ones they don't live in!)
The housing is all South Australian Housing Trust (SAHT) so you may get a house or unit with other SAHT properties around you, and, obviously, these are tenanted by less well-off families, so this is maybe what Tez is talking about, personally I don't have a problem with this but it probably depends on your background.
The rent was $220 a fortnight which included all utilities for our 3 bedroom house, very reasonable!

Overall our impressions were that both services were really useful, and took a lot of stress out of the move, especially having 2 young kids. It gave us time to do all the necessary admin in the first 2 weeks of arrival with the back up of a friendly couple to guide us if needed.

Hope this is useful, good luck with the move to all of you, Adelaide is just great you will love it!!

Pete
Thanks Pete and all others that have helped me by replying, despite the whingers this site is great for advice!

Nicki
Old Mar 26th 2003, 9:17 pm
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Bones
Hi jamesy,

Pete
Hi.

Could you please tell me if the greeter service is avalible to all migrants? I read somewhere that it was only for people on skilled visas and we are applying for a spouse visa.

We do have rellies in Adelaide but some help with accomodation and day to day things from someone with a little experience would be good.

Thanks in advance

Sally
Old Mar 27th 2003, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point

Could you please tell me if the greeter service is avalible to all migrants? I read somewhere that it was only for people on skilled visas and we are applying for a spouse visa.
Hi, it does say for skilled migration on the website, but maybe it's only because they don't expect people who applied for a spouse visa would need it. But sending a mail should get you an answer. The email address is:

immigration(dot)sa(at)state(dot)sa(dot)gov(dot)au

Hope this helps
Old Mar 27th 2003, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

immigration(dot)sa(at)saugov(dot)sa(dot)gov(dot)au

or this one specifically is for the m'n'g

i think anyone can use the actual 'greeters' as they are not employed by the state.. even holiday makers...

cheers

richard
Old Mar 28th 2003, 5:19 am
Just Joined

Malcy is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking jamesy

Originally posted by Jamesy
Thanks Pete and all others that have helped me by replying, despite the whingers this site is great for advice!

Nicki
G'day Jamesy, Sorry about the delay I could'nt get in for some reason, anyway get back to me. Malcy.