Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Medication question

Medication question

Old Aug 14th 2005, 8:39 am
Just Joined

Daisybumpkins has a spectacular aura aboutDaisybumpkins has a spectacular aura aboutDaisybumpkins has a spectacular aura about
Default Medication question

Hello,

I have a permanent colostomy which requires constant medical equipment on prescription. This is no problem here in the UK as all my prescriptions are free - how does it work over there? Do I have to pay? I know a little about there means tested medicare system but i wonder if it will affect me when the time comes to put my application in for emmigration. Does anyone have any advice? Thank you.

Daisy x
Old Aug 14th 2005, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice
Default Re: Medication question

Hi

I don't mean to sound negative, but the Australian government (as a general rule) will not accept anything medical that requires an expense outlay in the first two years (your temporary residence period).

Secondly (my understanding) even if you are on full government benefits in Australia (which as a temporary resident you are not entititled to) your prescriptions out of hospital will cost you (last time I checked this was around the $3.00 per medication). I do not know about the cost of equipment, you will have to check with Medicare.

Why don't you have your medical first before any other outlay?
Old Aug 14th 2005, 8:59 am
Just Joined

Daisybumpkins has a spectacular aura aboutDaisybumpkins has a spectacular aura aboutDaisybumpkins has a spectacular aura about

What if i paid for my medical expenses myself? And how would I go about finding this out? I had no idea i would be penalised for this. Just to make things clear i have no disease of the bowel the colostomy was for mechanical reasons. I am in full health now apart from needing colostomy bags.

Daisy x
Old Aug 14th 2005, 9:00 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NIGENABBY
Hi

I don't mean to sound negative, but the Australian government (as a general rule) will not accept anything medical that requires an expense outlay in the first two years (your temporary residence period).

Secondly (my understanding) even if you are on full government benefits in Australia (which as a temporary resident you are not entititled to) your prescriptions out of hospital will cost you (last time I checked this was around the $3.00 per medication). I do not know about the cost of equipment, you will have to check with Medicare.

Why don't you have your medical first before any other outlay?
Daisy - may I suggest you copy this onto the Aus Immigration forum - agents and JAJ answers threads extensively there (JAJ also answers here)

Daisy never said what Visa she was applying for ........ It could be PR..

Haven't others managed to get their Visas with chronic conditions eg Diabetes etc??

Last edited by carolinegorka; Aug 14th 2005 at 9:04 am.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Hello
I am not sure the difference if you pay yourself or not.
For advice like that I would suggest you speak to a migration agent. I only know generalities, not specifics, sorry.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 9:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it'll make any difference if you offer to pay yourself.
Go onto the immigration forum and search for an agent called Peter Bollard, in Sydney - hes said to be a real medical expert.